£4k for a track car/daily driver

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
306 rallye get my vote after the drive in robs on sunday (y)

Great fun, well tied down with a few suspension mods and very chuckable.

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
my opinion was vented tonight.

dc2, you can drive it daily, it`ll return 27mpg all day long and you can track the life out of it without fear of it imploding on track.

abs equipped jdm 96 specs are handy to come by with the influx of imports recently.

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
would have to be a DC2 or maybe consider a really good CRX/Sir civic? :cool:

tmr

RMS Regular
Drives
???
Kirki doesnt exactly have many corners Maxwell. Also the fact you're free to rev the balls out of it to keep it in the 'tak without looking like a prat. Stop fighting a losing battle.

Its basically the choice between 172/Cup, GTi-6/Rallye and DC2 UK/JDM. I suppose it just whatever you feel most comfortable driving about for daily use.

Maxwell

Banned
God I hate these threads when other people post them!

Gonna have some track fun this summer and interested to hear what folk suggest. Must be 10-12 years old at most, apart from the price thats the only restriction. Something interesting preferably too!

Go

at no point in his original post did he state kirki....there is numerous tracks around the island and the mainland too

so tmr, have a wider outlook on this. there is more to trackdaying than kirki and hondas...

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Evo 2 without a doubt Gee...

Dont know why i didnt say that sooner...

The ex's aul lad was getting his Evo 2 round Kirki's short circuit quicker than an M3 CSL (with apparently a very good pilot at the wheel of it), due to the ability to hold its speed in the corners, and a bit of left foot braking mid corner to keep the boost up for exiting the corner...

His Evo 2 was standard apart from an exhaust fitted, and ran VERY well. It sold a while back for £2700 from memory, so they are well within your budget, and would gave much more expensive cars a scare, and are very under-estimated IMO.

chrisd1

RMS Regular
Drives
AE86 / EF Civic
i thought a track car would need a reasonable amount of torque to get you out of the corners better....something a honda lacks

^o)thats rediculous tbh...let us know what you end up buying Gee

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
with 4k id buy the fiestfeild kit and stick a big ford cosworth engine in it, and it can be down for that money

Do you know how much decent cossie engines cost? You'd never do it properly for £4K, unless you mean 4K on the engine alone.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
I dont think 4wheel drive is well suited to any track work & it will work out mega expensive pulling the car to bits on the grippy tarmac, keep the 4wds to the Rally stages i think?

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Just like to point out - Nearly any sub 4K 4wd turbo is going to be hassle on wheels. They are far more expensive to maintain than an NA FWD car...

Something to bear in mind.

Astroid

RMS Regular
Drives
Rb5 and c4
You can't go wrong with a toyota mate. Corolla T sports with 60k are 3grand and 190bhp as for reliability it's one of the best I know of. Our corolla is unbelivable 4 years of kirkiston it needed a gearbox 4 months ago and we changed it because it was starting to notch 2nd gear we could have drove it on prob lasted same again.

Next track car we get will be a toyota without a doubt.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
Evo 2 without a doubt Gee...

Dont know why i didnt say that sooner...

The ex's aul lad was getting his Evo 2 round Kirki's short circuit quicker than an M3 CSL (with apparently a very good pilot at the wheel of it), due to the ability to hold its speed in the corners, and a bit of left foot braking mid corner to keep the boost up for exiting the corner...

His Evo 2 was standard apart from an exhaust fitted, and ran VERY well. It sold a while back for £2700 from memory, so they are well within your budget, and would gave much more expensive cars a scare, and are very under-estimated IMO.

wasnt woodcutters then :p

is the possibility of two cars not an option Gee?

get a westfield or the likes, then a cheap corsa/saxo/106 etc for commuting

düb

D
wasnt woodcutters then :p

is the possibility of two cars not an option Gee?

get a westfield or the likes, then a cheap corsa/saxo/106 etc for commuting

sounds good to me, something i'd like to do myself.

Nazor

RMS Regular
Drives
306 Dimma
I think Gee already knows what he wants - TypeR Teg

I agree with the 4wd comments too - alot more to go wrong with and alot more up keep

Bullet proof FWD and you will have great fun. Very hard to see past the TypeR although the Toyota Tsport is a good suggestion by the sounds of it

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
Yea was pretty decided on a DC2 but thought I'd see what folk here suggested incase I'd over looked anything.

I had my Dc2 out in Trackskills on sunday and have to say it was really good fun and never let me down(y)Was able to pass the 197's, one of the M3's and a few others, although i was let down by my brakes due to the pads(dont use redstuff!)Ferodo Ds's would have sorted that problem out.

With the right suspension and set up it will supprise you in the corners for a FWD!I would like to see another Dc2 on the track, the 4 clio cups seemed to have a good battle together!

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
I would avoid Honda simply for the cost of parts, they are rediculous (n) Not much fun breaking things on track and having to pay a premium to get them fixed.

182 Clio would be my choice within that budget.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
No idea about whats good on a track or not, but here are some that i thought could be possible contenders for the money;

Xsara VTS
Impreza Turbo 2000
MGF VVC ?!
Seat Ibiza Cupra

Other than them, id be goingo for 172/82 or Rallye/GTi-6 aswell.

Rob1sp

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Cars
Clio 172 Cup in classified section this morning, don't buy it though, I want it!

Bride

RMS Regular
Drives
Toyota Mr2 GT
Gee get a dc2!

Cracker cars and honda B series reliabilty! Mate has one with ohlins coilovers and handles extremly well!

Could go for an MR2 turbo! seem to be really cheap also! 220/240BHP depending on which revision, also RWD with an LSD! Other than that someting nimble like a 106GTI or VTS but as i've had 2 saxos i can tell you that anything that can go wrong useually will at some stage!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.