£500 small - mid sized car wanted

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
As per the title, I'm looking a cheap small to mid size car for around £500, must have MOT, preferably nothing French unless you can educate me on what normally goes wrong with the particular model your offering.

Last edited:

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
You purchase one of these........
Screenshot_2016-12-29-00-06-00.png

And never have to go cheap car shopping again!!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I'd found this one which is a bit closer to me in location and price lol:

E46 Bmw 320d full years mot
E46 Bmw 320d full years mot | in Newtownards, County Down | Gumtree

Only trouble is I know nothing about them! I know that the floor around the diff cradle is prone to rust/splitting, and that the turbo's have their own filter which is difficult and pricey to get, but that's the limit of my knowledge on them.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Ok, so BMW's appear to be off the cards then!

Although to be honest I wasn't thinking of anything that "upmarket" anyhow. Something fairly reliable but most important isn't rotting away in front of me!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
There's a certain Mazda 626 I've spotted but again I know nothing about them. All that Google seems to bring up on them is that they are a bit dull to drive. If that is the only thing I could live with that! Lol

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
Go for that Avant - was gonna chip in with 'never worry about mileage - my father in-laws did a quarter of a million miles' but then saw the figure! Hmmm. Really well built yoke though.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I had a S40 one of those and it really was absolutely terrible.

Yaris or Corolla my man!!
This ^^

I bought a cheap runaround corolla few years back with 80k on it, got rid a few weeks ago and it had 145k. Needed nothing bar regular servicing when I owned it. They're reliable as hell

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
This ^^

I bought a cheap runaround corolla few years back with 80k on it, got rid a few weeks ago and it had 145k. Needed nothing bar regular servicing when I owned it. They're reliable as hell
Old jap cars not prone to the old rot?

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Cheap E46 would be absolute heart ache. Even a good one can be a pain in the arse!
Depends on where you get your cheap E46.

I have a 2001 320d available, for example. There's a replacement turbo on it, we've thoroughly serviced it, has been on the ramps and checked left right and centre, and while its a bit scruffy, it's 100% reliable and the first gen M47 engines are a lot less breakdown-prone than the common rail M47N in the facelift cars. It's more than the budget though. And I've lost the V5.
All 4 cylinder petrols are scrap however (apart from any I may have sold or will have for sale ;) )

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.