£9.99 a month car lease - 10k year mileage limit

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Over in London at the minute and one of the guys here doesn't have a car. Him and the girlfriend were going on a weekend away and used some website to hire someone's personal car. Way cheaper than hertz et al and just lifted it at the persons house where they had a key box outside.

Sounded like a good job - if not something that could be taken advantage of!

That's interesting. Do you know the website by any chance or could find out ?
There's another business idea missed lol

If I didn't have a company car, I'd lease. It's alright saying you are debt free driving something old, but you've to worry about breakdowns, getting parts etc etc. New car - warranty = somebody else's problem to fix :p

Totally agree. These days when anything goes wrong it's a computer not a spanner to fix it and even the worry about this that or the other. There is an awful lot to be said for a warranty on a car.
I think a leased car of some sort on a short deal so you can change it or walk away after 12 months and a garage queen/toy sounds appealing

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
That's interesting. Do you know the website by any chance or could find out ?
There's another business idea missed lol

I'll try to find out. Sounded pretty good though! Hope this isn't something I made up in my intoxicated state and just blurted it all over the Internet haha

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I'll try to find out. Sounded pretty good though! Hope this isn't something I made up in my intoxicated state and just blurted it all over the Internet haha
Haha well if it was it's something won't be far away, especially over there

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I take it the £9.99 p/m on the title is wrong ?

Do they specify any insurance oddities or is that included too ?

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I take it the £9.99 p/m on the title is wrong ?

Do they specify any insurance oddities or is that included too ?

Insurance on a lease is your own problem, same as any other car. Though some people do take out GAP insurance to cover the shortfall between the value of the contract and the amount owed should the lease terms be broken or similar, and they end up with a large bill to pay off.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
How can they even make this work?

Citroen C1 Hatchback 1.0 VTi Feel 5dr Car Leasing - Contract Hire - Cheap Car Leasing & Van Leasing
sml_64220.jpg

ok, so after the deposit is taken into consideration its £112 a month inc vat, but thats a new car on the road with no hassles for a year, less than £30 a week to have a new car on the door is pretty good deal.

That's a great deal even taking the deposit into consideration.

I think these cheaper small-engined lease deals are fantastic for parents who are well enough off to want to buy or contribute towards the first car for junior. Bank of mum & dad can pay the deposit, which leaves a manageable monthly payment for junior who can do some part-time work to pay it off and learn the value of things. Miss a month's payment, lose the car. Only downside is they can't modify it, but I guess those of us who modify (or modified) cars represent a minority amongst overall car owners.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
It's coming you can be 100% sure and when it does it will suit prob 80% of the population better than owning a car. In cities like London it will be a complete no brainer.

The life on strap comment, sometimes not always, a lease works out cheaper than using your own money for something. In that case I'd much rather a short term lease of whatever, especially when it works to your advantage
It'll not suit much more than 20%. Coming out of a office block at 5.30 - if you're not in the first 100 people out of the building then the street would be emptied and you're faced with a taxi fare or whatever to get home. The mother coming out of the local shop with a screaming toddler at £17 worth of groceries will be pretty annoyed to find her little box has been taken by the next user.
The bicycle thing works because there can be more bikes in a place than demand. Cars are significantly harder to store in bulk. Also, people don't use the bicycles to do the shopping, take kids to school, or take stuff to the tip.
Lastly, people without cars in London have the metro, which is brilliant and irreplaceable.

Might work out "cheaper" to take a lease or be "on strap" - but you are still in debt to "the man" or whoever else. Some people would rather not be - regardless of money. Being tied into a contract (of any sort) is not always the best option for people.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Similar deals were around in the late 90's with free insurance, etc. Loads of new drivers got them and then wrote off the cars weeks later lol

Went for one of these lease deals myself a few weeks back for a decent car between Mrs Coog and myself after her car needed another stack of stupidly expensive and necessary repairs done. Leasing makes a lot of sense and the payments are comparable depreciation wise with a 2/3/4 yr old car I'd actually want to drive, never mind a spanking new one to the exact spec I want.

Personally I've never had issue being in a bit of affordable debt. At the end of the day I know how much comes in each month, how much goes out and what I've got to spare for things like cars, phones and Austin Metro modifications. I would only be uneasy about it if I couldn't afford it or I was uncertain about my future.

Our biggest gripe recently is our 8/9 year old 'good' car (owned from new!) needing a £1000+ worth of work done to it every year in order to keep it road worthy. Not forgetting it needs taxed, MOT'd, RAC'd and it's depreciating too. All in if I compare one to the other I'm in the region of a couple of hundred quid a year difference and at least with the lease car I shouldn't get a phone call at 5:30 on a Friday afternoon to tell me the car has broken down at the side of the road again. Or a tyre is flat because of an alloy wheel corroding. Or the battery is flat. Or the turbo needs replacing.

I've still got my own wee motor that I'm happy to fiddle about with and fix at my own leisure but for the main car I just can't be bothered with the hassle any more lol

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
That's my predicament too. I can't be bothered with the hassle of tax and m.o.t on 2 cars . I'm so lazy I put both cars on to a mutlicar policy so I literally just fuel the lease car, service it once and hand it back. It's extremely convenient , at a premium yes, but I factor into the payments the level of hassle and stress I've escaped, and that alone makes the car virtually free in my mind.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
My first couple of lease cars had a 20k service intervals so the only time they were near a garage was for a pair of tyres and to hand it back in order to pick up the next new one. It's the definition of hassle free motoring.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
That's a great deal even taking the deposit into consideration.

I think these cheaper small-engined lease deals are fantastic for parents who are well enough off to want to buy or contribute towards the first car for junior. Bank of mum & dad can pay the deposit, which leaves a manageable monthly payment for junior who can do some part-time work to pay it off and learn the value of things. Miss a month's payment, lose the car. Only downside is they can't modify it, but I guess those of us who modify (or modified) cars represent a minority amongst overall car owners.
That is exactly what I am for doing once little miss can be arsed getting her texst done.She just informed us she missed her driving test on Monday morning as no one bothered to get her up. 2 problems there ,1st one ,she never told us ,2nd one ,she is nearly 20 and can get herself up fs.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
That is exactly what I am for doing once little miss can be arsed getting her texst done.She just informed us she missed her driving test on Monday morning as no one bothered to get her up. 2 problems there ,1st one ,she never told us ,2nd one ,she is nearly 20 and can get herself up fs.

If you decide to stop running her anywhere she needs to go, she'll soon get the test done! (y)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.