1st 100k Mile RX8 in the north

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

2.2_Coupe

RMS Regular
Drives
amps/volts
Some will no doubt think this a total non truth, but Ronnie just got his RX8 past 100k miles there, he bought it with 61k on the clock, on the original lump, and its still sealed from the factory, next target 200k!

Hats off to him for proving that with the right attention they can go and go, none of this 50k rebuild nonsense.

3S-GE-FTW

RMS Member
Drives
Mighty Mazda 3
In fairness he is one of few that actually know about the engine and does maintain it right here.

andy.

RMS Regular
Drives
MKVI GTI
Worth a post? have you seen some of the toss on here lol, its car related, and has been the topic of some hectic 'debate' here too.
The relevance is that people say they NEED 50k rebuilds, this debunks said theory by a country mile

I have seen some of the toss on here yes. I still don't think it's a big deal that someone managed to get a car too 100k come back when he beats the record.

"A 1966 Volvo P-1800S owned by Irvin Gordon of East Patchogue, New York, USA, had covered in excess of 4,586,630 km (2,850,000 miles) by December 2010. The car is still driven on a daily basis and covers over 160,000 km (100,000 miles) per year, thanks in part to being driven to numerous car shows and events in Europe and the USA".

2.2_Coupe

RMS Regular
OP
2.2_Coupe
Drives
amps/volts
Fair point Joe, though I was lucky mine drove home from the dealership when I bought it. I doubt a piston engine would have lasted long had it been treated the same as mine. Seemingly not even main dealers can look after them ie proactive maintenance.
The relevance in posting this is that N.Iron has it embedded in its psyche that a 13b cant pass 50k. Im hoping mine passes 200k without cracking the block apart, but at my current rate of 1200 miles per annum Ill be long dead by then. Hes still got some way to go beating the australiasian 240k, but I reckon hes the man to do it.

brendy

RMS Regular
Some will no doubt think this a total non truth, but Ronnie just got his RX8 past 100k miles there, he bought it with 61k on the clock, on the original lump, and its still sealed from the factory, next target 200k!

Hats off to him for proving that with the right attention they can go and go, none of this 50k rebuild nonsense.
Perhaps it has had a whole engine replacement?
Trigger.jpg

...just sayin.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I really wish these didn't have the stigma they do. I would love to buy one as they are a bargain but it must be a nightmare to sell them on again. Every single car I have ever had for sale, some one has offered me an rx8 in part ex lol

BigJoe

RMS Regular
Drives
FR-V - Civic
Fair point Joe, though I was lucky mine drove home from the dealership when I bought it. I doubt a piston engine would have lasted long had it been treated the same as mine. Seemingly not even main dealers can look after them ie proactive maintenance.
The relevance in posting this is that N.Iron has it embedded in its psyche that a 13b cant pass 50k. Im hoping mine passes 200k without cracking the block apart, but at my current rate of 1200 miles per annum Ill be long dead by then. Hes still got some way to go beating the australiasian 240k, but I reckon hes the man to do it.

Only winding you up, however you would have to agree that the Twirly Wirly engine in the RX is MUCH more sensitive to maintenance and upkeep.

I know for a fact that my old Accord had practically no oil in the engine when the wife drove it, and yet never missed a beat.

It was sold with 180k on the original engine and gearbox and can honestly say that the car got death every time I went near it ;).

With all that said, i still believe that the W@nkles get a very bad rep, compounded by owners that are oblivious on looking after the car correctly! This is the main reason why they are so cheap second hand!

2.2_Coupe

RMS Regular
OP
2.2_Coupe
Drives
amps/volts
Nope, its still on the original, un-tampered engine. Join the crew Pete, theyre that cheap that even as a beater you cant go too far wrong. The components break for decent money online too, or throw another lump if you bought a bad one.
@joe Ive been in an AE86 before with no sump plug. It was taken out and cast into the ditch before tackling Craigantlet, sometimes complete lack of mechanical sympathy can be entertaining - in this case it had a transplant lined up.

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
I always think that nowadays the term Legend is bandied about and used for some real mediocre people but in this case, a car with over 100k on the clock, the word Legend is wholly appropriate and maybe not even enough. :p

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Surely the fact that you felt it post worthy is proof of the point that they are just simply not an engine suitable for a daily driver for your average punter. Combined with a low power output by modern standards and dreadful fuel economy it's a recipe for a poor road car hence why they go for pence second hand (if you can even sell them).

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Surely the fact that you felt it post worthy is proof of the point that they are just simply not an engine suitable for a daily driver for your average punter. Combined with a low power output by modern standards and dreadful fuel economy it's a recipe for a poor road car hence why they go for pence second hand (if you can even sell them).

You're sacrificing mpg for weight loss not power.

Anyway the fact that only one in NI has made by it to 100k must say something about their longevity. In saying all that I'm still gonna buy one one day though lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.