2.0 hdi berlingo van help

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ge0rge

Banned
right fitted a new engine after mine packed in but used my old turbo then once running new engine white/grey smoke constantly pumping.....assumed as did a diesel mechanic that the turbo was more than likely shot from the diesel in the oil from the previous engine....

now fitted a new turbo to the new engine and its still the same, white/grey smoke though she started easy and the turbo was boosting in the short time i drove it...just constant smoke

would an injector issue cause white/grey smoke ? if not where else should i be looking? im having the injectors tested tomorrow.

van is a 2.0 hdi berlingo.

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge

spunkywarcannon

RMS Regular
Drives
civic coupe b18
did u bleed the injector system for air?.. them hdi's are tempermental as fook with fuel pressure..what does the smoke smell of? diesel, oil, coolant

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
ive the timing bang on, ive checked and checked and checked again

Im not sure what way the hdi's work but is there any way you can advance/ retard the timing to see if it clears the smoke?
Think the ecu sets the opening of the injectors tho, so maybe that isnt an option.....
If its not burning oil, not losing water and the timing is ok then the last peice of the puzzle is the injectors. However, if the injectors are not letting the diesel atomise properly then i would expect black smoke rather than white.

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge
the cam on the head of the engine i have just fitted is adjustable in some way but im not keen on tinkering too much with that, il have the injectors tested this morning, hopefully something will show up there!

cheers for the help so far(y)

tommy309

RMS Regular
any faults in it? Did you clean out the intake system? could be oil in the exhaust could be egr stuck, id read the faults and see if this points you in the right direction first.

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge
any faults in it? Did you clean out the intake system? could be oil in the exhaust could be egr stuck, id read the faults and see if this points you in the right direction first.
still trying to get to grips with lexia, the fella for testing the injectors wont be open now til monday so once ive tested them il take it and see if i can get it a diagnostic done

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Fair play to ya Ge0rge, you'll get it in the end. Not many would have persevered this long (y)

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge
Fair play to ya Ge0rge, you'll get it in the end. Not many would have persevered this long (y)
ive been told that many times that they would have given up iv been told a few times to burn it or sell it as a non runner but im stubborn i dont like things getting the better of me, next step after the injectors would be to buy a hdi 307 or something thats running well and swap everything over....

i dont half give myself some headaches.

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge
only about 10 or 15 minutes a few drives up and down my street didnt wanna go out to the main road, i was hoping it would clear but it really does seem too thick and constant just to be stuff lying in the pipes/exhaust, i didnt wanna run it too long at the risk of damaging another engine?

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge
driving fine, turbo was boosting etc didnt seem as sharp as my old engine/turbo but was running very well though when i switched her off she stopped with a bit of a thud then wouldnt start so i abandond it for now til i test the injectors and il check the timing again before i try starting her

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Compression ok on it? And is the fuel ok. What does smoke smell like? Mechanical timing pretty difficult to mess up on these.

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge
new engine
new turbo
new diesel pump though returned and old one used again
now 4 new injectors.....

if i keep goin the only original part left of the van will be the steering wheel.

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge
would i be cheaper doing that? they are £245 each brand new(no chance of me paying that) or £50 each second hand....

whats the cost of a refurb and is that the best option?

Ge0rge

Banned
OP
Ge0rge
cheap, not.

there is a place in belfast called monarch meant to be good at refurbing.
thats who tested them and he said scrap! and as they are siemens they cant be refurbed no parts available

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.