2003 Mini Cooper R50

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Bryan

RMS Regular
Just looking back through this thread and I don't see any mention of the starter motor. I know from other people doing this conversion they say the starter motor is different. I can't confirm if that's the case as I know the standard starter fits both the midlands and getrag 5 speed box. Just something you might want to look into before you tear into it just in case it is a stumbling block. Maybe you already have one?

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Just looking back through this thread and I don't see any mention of the starter motor. I know from other people doing this conversion they say the starter motor is different. I can't confirm if that's the case as I know the standard starter fits both the midlands and getrag 5 speed box. Just something you might want to look into before you tear into it just in case it is a stumbling block. Maybe you already have one?
Yea the correct starter was supplied with the 6sp, as well as the different gearbox mount and shifter cables etc….

Today the work has started:
C55036E9-929E-418E-BC67-9D78413315E3.jpeg

Bryan

RMS Regular
I've done two Mini engines and two clutches on that gravel. Dropped the gearbox on my finger last week and can still hardly move it.

Bryan

RMS Regular
A familiar sight there. Well done.

Although they are hard to work on it's amazing how modular they are and how easy it is to lift the whole engine/gearbox out once you have the front off.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
A familiar sight there. Well done.

Although they are hard to work on it's amazing how modular they are and how easy it is to lift the whole engine/gearbox out once you have the front off.
Yea I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was and how quick progress could be made!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Thats not uncommon on a gearbox to be fair. Yours is just bearings so your not going to find evidence of anything in the oil really,
Remember though that the oil has been changed twice in the last six months! But yea I take your point on board.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.