2003 Mini Cooper R50

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I’ve lost count the number of days I’ve had like that, messing about with cars…nevermind mate, get those few small parts and tools sorted - she’ll be back on the road this time next week

It was a subtle hint…
Speaking of which, my tool has been dispatched and should arrive tomorrow.

I don’t do subtle…..😂

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Bit of a downer today. Didn’t get anything done really.

Arrived late this morning as the wife had a dump run organised, then a moment of self doubt led me to waste time removing the clutch kit only to find out I did order the correct one.

I also wasted time trying to fit the gearbox alone, realising I’m not as strong as I was 20yrs ago lol.

Couple that with having to head home early as my kids finish school early on a Friday.

Ah well, regroup over the weekend and go back at it again on Tuesday/Wednesday

View attachment 385332View attachment 385333

Mike had spotted the other day that the lower engine mount was in bad shape so I picked one up today for it.
View attachment 385334
Fair play Brian. Not a bad day.
More progress today, as it’s better doubting now than when it’s back together. Forward thinking bud. Fair play to you for getting stuck in and also to @Laundrymike for letting use unit and suppling tea towels and brown sauce! What a guy!

It’s the small things on here and the members helping each other out that matters! Love that as half the time we haven’t met in person! Keep it up!👍🏻🫶🏻

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Is it not confusing having two Brians in the house?
It was for me when they were shouting at the dog for sniffing where he shouldn’t have been! 😂😂
I hear Jack has offered to put it on as you looked a bit weak, so I'm sure it will all be done by the time you get back for the next sausage bap and tea 😁
Ah Jack! He’s a great lad! 😂

pablo

RMS Moderator
Having replaced a clio gearbox on my drive to find the flywheel was binding the case, then having to do the WHOLE job again you were right to be sure.

Had fully reassembled everything ffs. Then nope. All out again.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Fair play Brian that’s a serious undertaking there! I wish I had the talent of knowledge for stuff like that!

Can you imagine how satisfying that first drive after the swap is going to be 😎
Thank you and yea, I can’t wait!
We all are to one degree or another. Human nature when you care about or put a load of effort into something.
Very true Allan!
Having replaced a clio gearbox on my drive to find the flywheel was binding the case, then having to do the WHOLE job again you were right to be sure.

Had fully reassembled everything ffs. Then nope. All out again.
Nightmare!!!

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
So, here we go again…sure what else would you be at Saturday teatime?

Bigger input shaft on the new gearbox, meant alignment had to be close to perfect to slide her home…so got creative with some threaded bar the same size as the gearbox bolts

E2CB712A-2C70-4171-8D9B-4AA2ADFEC746.jpeg

Fully located

3D7D7C5F-22FD-459B-B653-FA3487F7DC31.jpeg

Which after some back and forth - supported with a jack, meant I could pull the box back out but not all the way, spin the shaft and try again

5BB406F4-1A63-4F4F-BFE1-1973EABBA255.jpeg

Great success - this was honestly my last attempt before I sacked it off for the day

F0DD4197-21D6-4E2D-BAC8-1218470A3E4D.jpeg

One out, one in and had to wait till chief mechanic got home from a birthday party to tighten up the last awkward bolt

404B382D-15EF-4140-8A69-760E87447881.jpeg

Couldn’t get out of the shed fast enough and indoors for a beer…there’s a small list of car related jobs in my head that I never want to do again - this has been added😂

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Jack to save the day!! 😂 As I said @Laundrymike, thank you so much!! I appreciate it.

Our brain storming over the phone worked then. Oh and I was glad to hear that you had the same doubts as me re: the clutch being correct or not lol

Last edited:

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I was doing my usual weekly visit at my Mum’s today with the kids and had a much more relaxing day lol.

Came home to the timing tool kit sitting waiting for me

8BC084B3-5B82-4828-8D39-57C8BEDC5636.jpeg

So now thanks to Jack (and I suppose Mike) and can get tore into that when I return to Mike’s shed on Wednesday.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I was doing my usual weekly visit at my Mum’s today with the kids and had a much more relaxing day lol.

Came home to the timing tool kit sitting waiting for me

View attachment 385423

So now thanks to Jack (and I suppose Mike) and can get tore into that when I return to Mike’s shed on Wednesday.

Wednesday? You busy or something? Get up there Monday and get it back together and get driving it again!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.