2020 Nissan Leaf . What a disappointment “within tolerance”

stuarti

RMS Regular
So for 18 months or so I’ve been driving a new Nissan Leaf …. As far as the car goes .. spec etc it’s really not bad.. quick and reasonably comfortable …. As far as the range goes .. and my experience with Nissan locally and in the uk, boy it’s not good !!!

It’s been back the local Nissan dealer 5 times so far, who say sorry it’s within tolerance !!! Like what !!!!

Car advertised new with a range of 168, fair enough i wouldn’t expect that … so I thought 150ish should be plenty .. and that’s what it did for about 2-3 months .. ever since it’s been absolute rubbbish …. In the warm weather I might hit 115miles if I’m careful!!! And in the winter …. 90 is the average achievable!!!

Now to get the figures of 90-115 I am
Also driving with e brake mode on and in eco all the time !!!! And never going over 55mph or driving in any way quickly !!! And actually making choices not to run air con etc . I know another member on here has a slightly older car and it’s way outperforming mine

I won’t buy another Nissan, and I certainly won’t buy from the dealer again … I can’t wait for the lease to end to hand it back !!

To live 50 miles or so from the coast and have to make a decision to leave the ecar behind and take the good old diesel (as the leaf wouldn’t make it there and back without a charge!” Is really poor !!!!)

So ultimately we can accept a 46% drop in battery as “within tolerance” which baffles me.

I think e cars are great and I’d get another but it’d have to be something with a Much much bigger range … which ultimately is too
Expensive to buy !!!!

Pic attached to show the performance … max range as poor as the figure shown is not achievable and you will see 5 miles for 5%. That 5 miles is 30-40 mph in town and should be using 1-2% !!!!

Attachments

• 4AD6F580-3791-4BCF-86A6-18E795377821.jpeg
    4AD6F580-3791-4BCF-86A6-18E795377821.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 112

stuarti

RMS Regular
OP
stuarti
Is this not the second similar Leaf range query on here?
Coulda been me hijacking someone else’s thread !! But wouldn’t be surprised if more than one like this !!!

dartagnan

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi Q7
A YouTuber name ev man slates Nissan particularly the dealers. He had the Leaf and his quote was ‘never again’. He is exceptionally pro EV’s but not Nissans😂😂

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I'm happy to say I'm the 'other member'........................

I have my 2018 Leaf Tekna 40kw 3 months and mine is great, I can and have exceeded the Nissan range of 168miles but that was in warmer weather and driving really carefully. Now in the current weather I normally get 140 miles, its not great but it does me as I charge it to full every night and pre heat it before leaving home while on charge and most days I drive about 50 miles.

Firstly I don't think driving with the e pedal on al the time is the way to go as you only get 30% of the energy recovered and its really hard to coast down to a lower speed with the e pedal on. I always drive in D mode and Eco on.

I'd love to see you happy with the car as they are good, well mine is. Surely Nissan would be willing to perform a range test? I know they will replace a battery under warranty in the first 8 years if it looses 25% of its capacity.

They're definitely not the best EV but then they aren't 40 or 50 grand plus which all the best EV's are. IMO they are the best EV available at a sensible price point which is why there are so many of them around.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I’d love to know who witnessed the Hyundai i30 1.6 crdi I have. It’s averaging 50mpg with a mix of 50/50 urban/extra urban and the stats quote urban 60, extra urban 78, combined 69. 🤔

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I’ve done 176 miles with 6 miles remaining in ours @Burt2000

It has to be in range mode, no climate, tyres aired up into the range setting and I tickled it there and back. Plus range mode cut the top end speed and all sorts too.

So while it’s technically possible it’s only something you’d want to do in a crunch.

Range is currently showing as 125 miles on a full charge as at this morning.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I’d love to know who witnessed the Hyundai i30 1.6 crdi I have. It’s averaging 50mpg with a mix of 50/50 urban/extra urban and the stats quote urban 60, extra urban 78, combined 69. 🤔
What year is it? If you Google that plus WLTP / NEDC and then it’s likely to be either VCA or Idiada

The latest WLTP tests are actually carried out in the real world however it’s of course still going to be difficult to achieve those figures

Bryan

RMS Regular
Sure it's just like manufacturers mpg figures. All total lies.

Why can't they be held to account ?

I get 49mpg in my super "eco friendly" Corolla hybrid. Clearly a diesel can do more so what's the point?? I have never experienced anywhere near the mpg quoted in the sales blurb and it's always in eco mode.

KevM

RMS Regular
A Corolla is a really great urban car, but they are just a 1.8 petrol on Motorways/Carriageways.

One of our managers had a wee Evoque auto here and came out of it as it was 'hard on diesel'. Two other lads drove it too and agreed that it was horrific, both got less than 30mpg. I am into my third week in the car, averaging 41mpg daily and did 53.1 from home to Newcastle last weekend driving fairly normally. The 4 tyres were badly underinflated when I first got the keys, they're a lot better with air in them lol.

Modmedia

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla M3P
The best way to check the real world range of an EV is the EV Database UK website IMO.

Is yours the 37kWh? If so then here is the link:

Ignore everything except "Highway - Cold Weather" which it says for your car is 95 Miles. Which would tie in with what you mentioned above. This is if you're doing a proper journey (not driving like a granny or sitting with everything turned off). Once you know what range suits your needs go and check the car and find this figure.

You will find people who say that their car is doing better, but they way the drive to get those figures I personally couldn't be arsed!

For my own needs I wanted over 150 mile range. So the only thing would suit would be the Tesla Model 3. The model I bought advertises 305 miles of range (lol) but on EV Database the same "Highway - Cold weather" lists 170 Miles. This is almost bang on what I'm getting at the minute Ballymena to Belfast. I drive the car properly... i.e. some hooning about, using the heated seats, heated steering wheel, climate control and pre-heating the car each time etc. So when it comes to changing check the above figures and you'll not be disappointed.

Hope this helps!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
What year is it? If you Google that plus WLTP / NEDC and then it’s likely to be either VCA or Idiada

The latest WLTP tests are actually carried out in the real world however it’s of course still going to be difficult to achieve those figures

It’s 2013 1.6 crdi blue active. It will do over 60 on a steady run but town kills it, about 40mpg although it quotes 60 for town driving lol.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Ok so would have been verified in the NEDC lab only tests - the reason the real world testing combined with WLTP was brought in was because the NEDC test wasn’t representative

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
The best way to check the real world range of an EV is the EV Database UK website IMO.

Ignore everything except "Highway - Cold Weather" which it says for your car is 95 Miles. Which would tie in with what you mentioned above. This is if you're doing a proper journey (not driving like a granny or sitting with everything turned off). Once you know what range suits your needs go and check the car and find this figure.

You will find people who say that their car is doing better, but they way the drive to get those figures I personally couldn't be arsed!

For my own needs I wanted over 150 mile range. So the only thing would suit would be the Tesla Model 3. The model I bought advertises 305 miles of range (lol) but on EV Database the same "Highway - Cold weather" lists 170 Miles. This is almost bang on what I'm getting at the minute Ballymena to Belfast. I drive the car properly... i.e. some hooning about, using the heated seats, heated steering wheel, climate control and pre-heating the car each time etc. So when it comes to changing check the above figures and you'll not be disappointed.

Hope this helps!
That’s a great site 👍🏻 Says 80 miles for the Mini which is bang on what we get treating it no different to our previous petrol Cooper. Heated seats on, climate on, normal / sport mode (never been in eco).

stuarti

RMS Regular
OP
stuarti

Hope this helps!
That’s a great site cheers !!!

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
I had the E Golf down to Belfast yesterday and as a rough guestimate if you divide your range by the miles per kwh figure this should give you an approximation of your battery capacity. So with cold motorway speed driving I had a range of 98 miles at 3.1 kwh to Belfast and back from Dungannon. This works out at 31.6 kwh and my usable battery capacity is supposed to be 32 kwh so is reasonably accurate. Therefore if you are getting 90 miles from a theoretical 37kwh battery this would mean an efficiency of 2.4 miles per kwh; is that what it is doing? Alternatively if it is doing 115 miles that would work out at 3.1 miles per kwh which is on par with the Golf for motorway speeds and cold weather with the climate set to 25 degrees.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
My wife’s little 1.6 tdci focus is currently Returning near 60mpg in daily use. I’d love an ev as my daily as I’m only doing 25 miles per day but the cost is a massive factor and I’d certainly be wary buying a used one

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
25 miles is V8 petrol territory tbh 😁

I think I worked out the Etron manages about the equivalent of 65-70mpg. Which isn’t bad given the size and power of it.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
25 miles is V8 petrol territory tbh 😁

I think I worked out the Etron manages about the equivalent of 65-70mpg. Which isn’t bad given the size and power of it.

lol!! Well the zed gets 22mpg and will be used more when salt goes, my mondeo estate is only getting 34mpg which I find poor for a diesel lol

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Yes @Coog same here, I worked it out at near 70mpg which wouldn’t be matched by anything else ICE around town, not to mention the size, spec and weight of it!

We got a quote for a new 55kw battery etron yesterday as ours go’s back in August and it came in at £380 a month, currently paying £300 a month for the 50kw. I need to do the sums and see if the extra £80 is worth it for the slightly bigger battery(not sure there’s much more miles from the 55kw).

Strangely the e tron is working out cheaper than the likes of the Kia, hyundai, Ford Mustang etc although they would do a lot more miles than the etron.