2020 Nissan Leaf . What a disappointment “within tolerance”

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Yes @Coog same here, I worked it out at near 70mpg which wouldn’t be matched by anything else ICE around town, not to mention the size, spec and weight of it!

We got a quote for a new 55kw battery etron yesterday as ours go’s back in August and it came in at £380 a month, currently paying £300 a month for the 50kw. I need to do the sums and see if the extra £80 is worth it for the slightly bigger battery(not sure there’s much more miles from the 55kw).

Strangely the e tron is working out cheaper than the likes of the Kia, hyundai, Ford Mustang etc although they would do a lot more miles than the etron.
Where did you get that deal and what's the details? Doesn't sound much.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Probably NHS

The model3 was reasonable value too I thought? Similar sort of money as that IIRC but that was a few weeks back so could have changed. I’d like one of those next.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Probably NHS

The model3 was reasonable value too I thought? Similar sort of money as that IIRC but that was a few weeks back so could have changed. I’d like one of those next.
Forgot about that NHS perk, a mate has a Porsche Taycan through the NHS.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Yes it’s NHS. Will hopefully be some better deals come August. Still probably go with electric again if can get something with better range as 140 miles is kind of low. Once you add the price of buying an ICE car that’s fairly fresh, large boot and can take 3 kids in the back, fuel, tax, maintenance, MOT, tyres and insurance it will probably end up more than what the electric car costs all in, then if it breaks too you have that to sort…I think Ive convinced myself 🤔📟💷

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Do you use all the range much? I’ve really only needed it once so far.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I’ve used it for work a couple of times recently since my wife changed location and gets the bus into town now, i was doing about 70 miles a day so needed to recharge it fully every other day as I don’t like being out and it going below 30 miles range left.

As you know you can’t rely on the public chargers at any stage in this country, most are broken or in use so I always like to have enough to get me home. Im moving job location myself from Monday so I’ll not be doing as many miles, I will prob use a mix of the EV and my diesel as I’m in round building sites and farms alot so can’t be getting her nice etron covered in cow ***** 😂.

wes

RMS Regular
What happens when a lease is up? Do you pay another initial payment for your next lease no idea about leasing but mrs wes has asked me to look into it lol

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
So with this cold weather my 2yr old Nissan Leaf is currently doing 70 miles to a full charge .. predicted range 165😂

I shudder to think what that is in the equivalent mpg

Barely can go anywhere in it !!
I've driven a fair few EV's now, spending a week at a time with them. Almost always deduct 30% from claimed range, to get the real-world.

The only one that was honest was the Mazda, that claimed 100ish, and gave pretty much that.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
So with this cold weather my 2yr old Nissan Leaf is currently doing 70 miles to a full charge .. predicted range 165😂

Mine did between 120 and 170 miles depending on weather, speed and driving conditions as you know.

There definitely something not right with it, sounds like a 24kw leaf.

Mines sold now but that's due to me needing a long range car that can tow, not because I wanted the leaf sold. It was a great car but doesn't suit my needs now. That said I should have probably kept it and got a cheap 4x4 with a towbar

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf

I am assuming that is the 40kwh version? Sounds really low! My 32kwh (usable) E Golf is showing around 105-110 range at the moment with climate permanently at 25 degrees. Real range can drop to 90 -100 miles if it is really cold and fast motorway driving but still above 70 miles so sounds as if something is wrong with the Leaf.

stuarti

RMS Regular
OP
stuarti
It’s the 40kw, been in the dealer 5 times .. no problems to be found apparently !! Never again !!!

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
It’s the 40kw, been in the dealer 5 times .. no problems to be found apparently !! Never again !!!
Do you know what it is reading for miles per Kwh? If there has been no battery degradation it would work out at 1.75 miles per Kwh which is seriously low. If it is reading something like 2.5 miles per Kwh that would mean the battery has degraded to about 28Kwh. The one on the Golf seems to be very accurate in this regard.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
It's a shame you dislike the car so much over this, my 2018 40kw Leaf Tekna was brilliant, it's really enthused me for EVs but I now need 4wd, more range and more power would be great. It was my starting EV and has been sold to another EV virgin.

Have you spoken to Nissan UK? Maybe push them to do a battery teat? I wouldn't expect Hurst's to do much for you, if indeed you got it from them

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The Etron did something similar which needed a software update. Max range was like 60 miles.

I’ve got near enough full range out of it in the past (within 3-4 miles). Forget about driving normally in comfort though, it needs the tyres inflated for range mode, heat and a/c off, limited performance / top speed restricted and only the essentials on. Unless you’re doing this, there’s no way you’re going to get the max range they quote.

It’s there if you’re willing to suffer for it. I suppose it keeps the playing field level? Otherwise subjective comfort and ‘real world’ scenarios come into play and the numbers are even less comparable with each other than they are now.

stuarti

RMS Regular
OP
stuarti
It's a shame you dislike the car so much over this, my 2018 40kw Leaf Tekna was brilliant, it's really enthused me for EVs but I now need 4wd, more range and more power would be great. It was my starting EV and has been sold to another EV virgin.

Have you spoken to Nissan UK? Maybe push them to do a battery teat? I wouldn't expect Hurst's to do much for you, if indeed you got it from them
I do enjoy the ev experience and we have another ordered, it sure as heck won’t be a Nissan ! It’s had software updates, battery checks etc. It’s dead to me now lol !!!

I would have absolutely anticipated a 10-20% drop off in range from 165ish quoted, car in the first month did 150ish with care ! Even in recent summer it was about 115 with all the precautions and slow speeds!

I asked to hand it back !! No chance

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
The Etron did something similar which needed a software update. Max range was like 60 miles.

I’ve got near enough full range out of it in the past (within 3-4 miles). Forget about driving normally in comfort though, it needs the tyres inflated for range mode, heat and a/c off, limited performance / top speed restricted and only the essentials on. Unless you’re doing this, there’s no way you’re going to get the max range they quote.

It’s there if you’re willing to suffer for it. I suppose it keeps the playing field level? Otherwise subjective comfort and ‘real world’ scenarios come into play and the numbers are even less comparable with each other than they are now.
What year?

Been driving a etron on and off recently and getting about 150 miles from it.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
With a charging network as abysmal as NI you need to have a real life range of 200 mid winter heater in miles to drive an EV as normal with no organisation or consideration. Cheap options like the leaf the mini etc require planning or compromise.

May be worth it to you may not. My wife genuinely hasn't touched the charging plug on hers in the 3 years we've had it nearly and has never charged outside the house...but you need a decent range as a buffer to get away with that. Public charging is getting better though but the convenience will cost you near diesel levels of pence per mile.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
What year?

Been driving a etron on and off recently and getting about 150 miles from it.

2020. 150 driving normally is about right. If you want extra range you can get it, just don’t expect it to magically give you max range when you’ve the heated seats on full
blast doing 80mph up the M1 in -3 degrees weather.

stuarti

RMS Regular
OP
stuarti
2020. 150 driving normally is about right. If you want extra range you can get it, just don’t expect it to magically give you max range when you’ve the heated seats on full
blast doing 80mph up the M1 in -3 degrees weather.
If I did this I’d get 50 miles in the leaf 🙈

Network local to me has gone from 12 charging points to 3 in the last 6 months …

I can barely even drive 30 miles and back without a panic now 😮😮

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
I’ll never have an EV after an ex had a Leaf a few years ago. Charging network is piss poor and I don’t believe has been significantly invested in within the last few years.

2014 730D did 50mpg from Dublin to Lisburn and that’s of course with some brief excursions potentially above the limit, heating and heated seats on full tilt and generally not paying any attention to how I was driving. In cold weather drop 10mpg from that but by the sounds of things on here that’s a small price to pay lol.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I’ll never have an EV after an ex had a Leaf a few years ago. Charging network is piss poor and I don’t believe has been significantly invested in within the last few years.

2014 730D did 50mpg from Dublin to Lisburn and that’s of course with some brief excursions potentially above the limit, heating and heated seats on full tilt and generally not paying any attention to how I was driving. In cold weather drop 10mpg from that but by the sounds of things on here that’s a small price to pay lol.

I’ve owned a 200 miles real world range EV for 18 months

Put 18k miles on it

Used public chargers twice in that time and they worked perfectly - charge it at home almost exclusively

Given my average full charge has cost me around £4.50 (5p per kWh overnight) that means I’ve paid £405 for those 18k miles - let’s round it up to £600 just to account for some around £60 of public charging and then some at peak rates. I’ve had some free charging from my solar as well but won’t count that

In a 50mpg diesel at let’s say £1.50/l average (which is generous I think over the last 18 months) that would cost £2440

So that’s around £100/month more expensive to run the diesel.

I also haven’t included the benefit in kind cost saving as I know that’s not relevant to a lot

Now I know it doesn’t work for everybody but wanted to add some balance to the discussion

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
I’ve owned a 200 miles real world range EV for 18 months

Put 18k miles on it

Used public chargers twice in that time and they worked perfectly - charge it at home almost exclusively

Given my average full charge has cost me around £4.50 (5p per kWh overnight) that means I’ve paid £405 for those 18k miles - let’s round it up to £600 just to account for some around £60 of public charging and then some at peak rates. I’ve had some free charging from my solar as well but won’t count that

In a 50mpg diesel at let’s say £1.50/l average (which is generous I think over the last 18 months) that would cost £2440

So that’s around £100/month more expensive to run the diesel.

I also haven’t included the benefit in kind cost saving as I know that’s not relevant to a lot

Now I know it doesn’t work for everybody but wanted to add some balance to the discussion

Are you based in NI?

My problem with them is I can’t see them being as convenient as ICE as the government may want us to buy them but isn’t supporting the network needed to make them a decent way to travel.

I’m not even slightly close to believing they are a sustainable answer to being a cleaner mode of transport either. In fact I think they are a complete farce for the most part.