79' Opel Kadett C Build - Built Show Smash to Road Rocket

Dorno

RMS Regular
OP
Dorno
Drives
a few!
Thanks to Alan Crockett for letting me run round his shed like it was supermarket sweep lifting wheels of different widths and offsets to try and find a good fitment for the Kadett with decent meaty tyres. Alan and his father race Kadetts & Chevettes so had plenty to choose from. Even lent me a set of progressive front springs to check ride height. Will fire up a few photos once I’ve the Audi hoovered and have the Kadett pushed over to try some of these options. Still undecided about wheel design. Love old bbs mesh, comp turbos and the likes but will figure out offset first.
IMG_2606.jpeg

Jamie-g

RMS Regular
Thanks to Alan Crockett for letting me run round his shed like it was supermarket sweep lifting wheels of different widths and offsets to try and find a good fitment for the Kadett with decent meaty tyres. Alan and his father race Kadetts & Chevettes so had plenty to choose from. Even lent me a set of progressive front springs to check ride height. Will fire up a few photos once I’ve the Audi hoovered and have the Kadett pushed over to try some of these options. Still undecided about wheel design. Love old bbs mesh, comp turbos and the likes but will figure out offset first.
View attachment 420968
The two Kadetts need to go to Dubshed. When’s the springs going in?

Dorno

RMS Regular
OP
Dorno
Drives
a few!
The 13x 9inch rims aren’t far away. They don’t foul on the front Altho maybe 8s would suit as a split setup. With no power steering 9s could be thran enough on the front. Photos below have a 20mm spacer on the rear only. 9inch looks good on the rear if not a couple of mm proud. Def needs a set of rally flaps.

The revos at the end are 15inch. Definitely need 15inch and a meaty tyre to fill the arches better. Will update soon when I trial fit new springs in the front. The 13x9 JBs and same offset but in a 15inch would probably suit well.

IMG_2607.jpeg

IMG_2610.jpeg

IMG_2611.jpeg

IMG_2612.jpeg

IMG_2615.jpeg

IMG_2618.jpeg

IMG_2621.jpeg

IMG_2619.jpeg

IMG_2620.jpeg

IMG_2623.jpeg

6C23116D-19F7-4148-B8A9-F09F37734F5C.jpeg

@Jamie-g def not tonight lol

Dorno

RMS Regular
OP
Dorno
Drives
a few!
Folks I need help here.

Minilites are proving very difficult to find in 15x9 4x100

Rota RKR are a similar style but a bit more like Watanabes. Whats your thoughts on these? and Do i have the balls to put some gold in there?
Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 12.04.39.png
Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 12.05.55.png

Reason gold has been in the back of my head is the Gerent competition car that no longer exists had the same paint scheme for a season but had Gold Mesh Style wheels on it. Background to this image is that i found this whilst wallowing in self pity in the royal whilst absolutely off my skittles on Morphine. The same day I was told the Kadett was non repairable I vowed that day id need to find another one and this time I'd make a proper job of it. Queue this photo. This Gerent Car doesnt exist anymore so to the best of my knowledge my car will be the only one with a similar colour Scheme. While in hospital I kept looking at this image and showing it to visitors at the time sayin "isnt this unreal"

Am I wise going down the Rota path or should I stick with Mesh centre and a Phat polished lip? @Cro @Jamie-g @seanmooney HEEEEELP

P.s. that side exit is cheeky!

Gerent.jpeg

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I'd go to Image wheels and get a set of mesh splits made to the specs you want personally, or go for Watanabes instead of Rota.

Or.....these
racing-wheels-9-15-inch-opel-kadett-C-4-100-isometry-irmler-racing.jpg

Yes, a bit of wheel snobbery on my part, but when everything else is so well finished may as well.

Dorno

RMS Regular
OP
Dorno
Drives
a few!
Ive been on and off the Image wheels website for months and had been looking at 250s or their Compomotive turbo style but i feel like at a distance they look like steelies.

Dorno

RMS Regular
OP
Dorno
Drives
a few!
You can get 15x8 minilites new from JBW, there's nothing wrong with them and i quite like them but they are everywhere.

Similar style of wheel on David Maxwell's Firenza really suits the GM stuff in my opinion

View attachment 421331
View attachment 421333
Aye Davids Car looks really well. Looking 15x9 on the rear if possible. I think from behind the 8inch just dont look wide enough maybe Im just looking at it too often. lol

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
You could also try Force Racing, some of their split rims are class!

I had one of the first sets of 10x7 image split rims on my mini at the time and they were class. I keep looking at putting split rims on to my mini now but it looks so good on the minilites lol

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Ive been on and off the Image wheels website for months and had been looking at 250s or their Compomotive turbo style but i feel like at a distance they look like steelies.
I get what you're saying, but they're a lovely wheel at the same time.

That set Imler do are outstanding looking.

Re. JBW, again like the rotas in my opinion it would be a shame to have the rest of the car as well done as it is and then a set of the most bland, meh (albeit functional) wheels on it! Actual old school minilites and Watanabes are different when actually looking at them in the flesh

Work Equip 40s would work well too I think, love putting Japanese wheels on non-Japanese cars personally.

You could also try Force Racing, some of their split rims are class!

I had one of the first sets of 10x7 image split rims on my mini at the time and they were class. I keep looking at putting split rims on to my mini now but it looks so good on the minilites lol
You need the image minilite style splits then 😂

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I get what you're saying, but they're a lovely wheel at the same time.

That set Imler do are outstanding looking.

Re. JBW, again like the rotas in my opinion it would be a shame to have the rest of the car as well done as it is and then a set of the most bland, meh (albeit functional) wheels on it! Actual old school minilites and Watanabes are different when actually looking at them in the flesh

Work Equip 40s would work well too I think, love putting Japanese wheels on non-Japanese cars personally.

You need the image minilite style splits then 😂

I have just seen they do them in 10’s now! Used to only be 13’s and up! 😲😲😲

Andy55

RMS Regular
Minilites would be my pick if you can get them in the right size.
Revolutions could be another option.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
Custom wheels from Image or the likes will be expensive but at the same time they can make them to your exact specifications.

Tough call to make but from day one when we shared pics of the Gerent car it was an instant win for me . I love the look of the dished wheels .

Dorno

RMS Regular
OP
Dorno
Drives
a few!
After an evening of cross threaded bolts and wrestling with springs we (myself and @Jamie-g) got the front end sorted out. Below is a photo of fitment before and after. Looked like she was on stilts on the front. An ignorant ball join needed replaced. Where else would ye find a very specific ball joint for a Kadett on a Friday night but Alan and Davy Crocketts.

Before:
b45e6cfd-6cec-4e31-809a-090c42f953df.jpeg

after:
IMG_2681.jpeg

IMG_2684.jpeg
P
Much more sensible looking.

Then Jonny landed out and we managed to get the Weber’s off and change the chokes to 38mm chokes. They’ll need rejected too at some stage before getting tuned right.

Should out to @Jamie-g for the craic this evening.

Audi has MOT first thing in the morning then I’ve to bounce up to film in belfast for a half day. Pre shoot fear “is everything charged” is real. Didn’t even get time to wash the car before MOT. Will see what time I’m up at in the morning as the appointment is at 8.30.

Worth it though for a bit more progress tonight. Bit of fear regarding the rear now. Rear springs are waaaay stiffer than the front. Don’t want her swapping ends on me everytime I take a tight bend. So will need to figure that out when it’s on the road.

Gearbox mount to be sorted next week and manifold needs a wee weld where it collects into single port. We cut a relief cut in it to allow us to bend it up slightly.

Hopefully have more updates soon.

Attachments

• IMG_8550.jpeg
    IMG_8550.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8551.jpeg
    IMG_8551.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 0

Jamie-g

RMS Regular
Some days craic with a wee adventure in the middle of it. 🤣 Ps she needs a side exit.

Dorno

RMS Regular
OP
Dorno
Drives
a few!
Some days craic with a wee adventure in the middle of it. 🤣 Ps she needs a side exit.
If you can find me a 2.5inch 90degree stainless in work then we’re laughing. Burn the ankles clean off ye getting out though! Lol