95 Mini Sprite

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Been a while since I posted any car related stuff so on our downtime I thought it would post this up.

Classic minis were my first introduction to the car scene. My first was an 86 Mayfair that I restored and sold as a rolling shell to @Simon998

I ended up buying the car back a few years later and doing a full build.

It ended up like this

FB_IMG_1566458961827.jpg

Fast forward a few years and business was demanding all my time. I also needed to inject more funding into the business so needs must and I sold the car.

Massively regretted it. My love of bmws then took over for many years and I enjoyed countless E34'S, e36's and e46 M3's.

Always at the back of my mind though was to build another classic mini.

I'm not the most adept at wielding spanners but having done pretty much all the work on the blue mini myself with friends, I had rose tinted ideas of spending evenings in the garage and building another.

Enter this 95 Mini Sprite.

It has been painted old English white with a black roof with other mods such as a centre clock dash and 13" wheels.

It needs alot of work in all the usual mini rot spots. So for this summer (if we are allowed one) I'm going to tidy up the bodywork at home then over winter it will visit AG Automotive for a restoration at which point the car might take an entirely different direction.

For now the immediate plans are to get the bodywork looking a little better, convert to a mk1 Morris Cooper grille, mk2 taillights, some other minor cosmetics and get the car down on to 10" wheels.

My long term plans will be a complete colour change, lots of carbon, lots of suspension and braking improvements and a supercharged 1380cc engine

Or

Respray in this colour scheme, build 70's clubracer style car with period interior and exterior. Again a 1380cc engine but with a lairy cam and a wild idle lol

This is going to be a very long project but one I am to complete in segments at a time.

First up being the body work, then mechanicals, then interior, then a hot engine will be the last part of the puzzle plus fix what breaks along the way. Which given its a mini will be alot.

IMG_20200411_173630.jpg
IMG_20200411_173648.jpg

And yes those hideous headlights and bonnet strap are for the bin asap

KevM

RMS Regular
That’s a good colour to be down on 10’s.

Headlights might not be the end of the world if you change the rears to pseudo-early style. It’s whether the bigger tears will leave a footprint in the paint 😬

Needs a good whiney beg too

Andy8265

RMS Member
Drives
GT6 & S2000
Been a while since I seen this. I actually sold it about 2 years and that was the last I saw it until someone linked me this post. Sounds like you have some really cool plans for it which I would have loved to do but for insurance reasons I had to keep the car standard. Incase it’s of any interest to you I have some photos of the car before it was painted and during the process as it was me that got it sprayed. Il try and attach some of them to this post 😁
225DD315-4D06-471D-8C72-F6AF882F65AC.jpeg
87EE7011-1112-4D84-828E-8A7D8CEF9265.jpeg
84BC24B7-6037-4F89-A5ED-6FAABEC1C0E0.jpeg
61E8DF86-75E9-4F42-BD95-97D8B306DF34.jpeg
46A57A5D-D5AC-4478-B86C-537E236B7604.jpeg
7EA70469-7064-4462-A971-AB43FECFB7FA.jpeg
225DD315-4D06-471D-8C72-F6AF882F65AC.jpeg

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
Love that, great to hear a bit of history behind the car.

Did you do the centre clock conversion?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Can't wait to see what you do with this! Also can't believe I'm gonna say this but I LOVE that cream colour, looks so period piece or something :heart_eyes:

Get a B16 in er :p

Andy8265

RMS Member
Drives
GT6 & S2000
Love that, great to hear a bit of history behind the car.

Did you do the centre clock conversion?
Yes I did that myself. I bought the dash when I was over at the NEC show in England and I won the clocks on eBay a few weeks later. If it’s of any interest to you aswell the engine and gearbox came from Minifix down south. The gearbox went during the winter and at this stage it was my daily driver so we had to drive from Belfast to Dublin in crazy ice and snow to get it but we got the mini back on the road not long after 😄 I miss it a little if I’m honest. Will you have it at any shows after this lockdown? I wouldn’t mind seeing it again.

wings

RMS Regular
Drives
MK 6 GTi
i love these old mini's. I cant wait to start working on mine, i managed to find a 76 mini one owner from new a few years ago. its currently in storage atm as i dont have the funds or the time to start working on it yet

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
Yes I did that myself. I bought the dash when I was over at the NEC show in England and I won the clocks on eBay a few weeks later. If it’s of any interest to you aswell the engine and gearbox came from Minifix down south. The gearbox went during the winter and at this stage it was my daily driver so we had to drive from Belfast to Dublin in crazy ice and snow to get it but we got the mini back on the road not long after 😄 I miss it a little if I’m honest. Will you have it at any shows after this lockdown? I wouldn’t mind seeing it again.

Ah so it's not it's original engine. It's a great running and driving wee thing, the body is just usual mini tatty now lol!

I should have it out at a few shows for sure, hopefully mini runs are still a thing too, its been 15years since I was involved in the mini scene lol

Andy8265

RMS Member
Drives
GT6 & S2000
Ah so it's not it's original engine. It's a great running and driving wee thing, the body is just usual mini tatty now lol!

I should have it out at a few shows for sure, hopefully mini runs are still a thing too, its been 15years since I was involved in the mini scene lol
Yeh it was a great little car. I wanted to keep the engine original but at the time I really couldn’t afford to as it worked out much cheaper for me to replace the lot. If you really wanted the original engine you might be able to trace it because I think I have the number for the guy I sold it too

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
I'll be dropping a 1380 in it so I'm not to bothered about originality lol thanks for the offer though

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Always had a notion of a mini project with a racy engine, though was afraid the dream might be better than the reality! Never say never though.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
Whatever happened to BDZ pete? A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into that when I was a teenager.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I'll be dropping a 1380 in it so I'm not to bothered about originality lol thanks for the offer though

Although probably a long way off....do factor in that at 1995 unless you can prove it has an older engine ( even though yes they're all old )....there may be emissions stuff to worry about at some point if MOT does ever tighten up here.

The K1100 head stuff seems to be very good though, and a nice revvy n/a engine can be a lot of fun. Or SC offer some aluminium 5 or 7 port heads now which seem good.

Dave..

RMS Regular
I didn`t notice the headlights until I took another look, awful looking things but the originals were like candles... :rolleyes:
My Defender was Old English white and quite difficult to match, for me a Mini has to be red.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I didn`t notice the headlights until I took another look, awful looking things but the originals were like candles... :rolleyes:
My Defender was Old English white and quite difficult to match, for me a Mini has to be red.

Simple halogen conversion for the headlights works wonders. No idea if later Minis had them as standard, but certainly early original headlights were diabolical.