Amazing what passes an MOT

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
So, last July I bought a rusty DC2 Integra, plans were to reshell it, but couldn't be bothered with the hassle and broke it for parts.

Anyway, time to think about disposing of the shell. Got a few pics for here before it goes.

Bear in mind, this was MOTd until the end of March 2018, from an NI MOT centre. I bought it only a few months after the MOT

How it ever ever passed, I've no idea! It's been too far gone for years.

Attachments

• IMG_20190806_185751.jpg
    IMG_20190806_185751.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_20190806_185758.jpg
    IMG_20190806_185758.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_20190806_185824.jpg
    IMG_20190806_185824.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_20190806_185830.jpg
    IMG_20190806_185830.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_20190806_185837.jpg
    IMG_20190806_185837.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_20190806_185842.jpg
    IMG_20190806_185842.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_20190806_185911.jpg
    IMG_20190806_185911.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_20190806_185925.jpg
    IMG_20190806_185925.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 343

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Mate bought a £500 Mazda 6 with a years MOT, he took it to get brakes about 3months later and the thing was rotten underneath

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
But some of your photos highlight part of the problem...if it was actually a legit MOT.

sideskirts, plastic liners etc etc will often hide stuff, and MOT inspectors are not in a position to remove these items.

There is of course the onus on owners to look after their cars with proper inspections and preparations before MOT, which is only a very brief inspection really. But it is the owners responsibility, not the MOT testers.

Although that is pretty bad. Almost Ford bad.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
I have a friend with a Vauxhall Combo van that you can see the road through the floor behind the drivers seat and it got a full years PSV last month. He only drove it in to see what else it would fail on and drove out with a certificate. It’s amazing what seems to skip through the net.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Reminds me of my first Cherokee. Bought in London with a full years ticket. Took it to get a set of mud terrains fitted and the rear axle nearly fell off on the ramp.

Mate had to spend a full day welding patches in it.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
some ropey boys about lol tbf I seen an evo 7 which was totally rotten but mint looking from outside, as soon as skirts and bumpers came off was probably a danger to life :joy:

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
But some of your photos highlight part of the problem...if it was actually a legit MOT.

sideskirts, plastic liners etc etc will often hide stuff, and MOT inspectors are not in a position to remove these items.

There is of course the onus on owners to look after their cars with proper inspections and preparations before MOT, which is only a very brief inspection really. But it is the owners responsibility, not the MOT testers.

Although that is pretty bad. Almost Ford bad.
Appreciate the issue with side skirts, but hard to miss the rott on the floorplans and the whole way round the rear arches front to back. This thing should have been off the road years ago, but did pass in NI stations. Definitely must have had a friend somewhere

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
There was a car advertised the other day on Facebook, someone pulled them on why it failed the mot with a load of faults and a load of welding to be done. But the same car passed the mot the next day at a different mot centre in England.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
There was a car advertised the other day on Facebook, someone pulled them on why it failed the mot with a load of faults and a load of welding to be done. But the same car passed the mot the next day at a different mot centre in England.

How did they know it was a different test centre?

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
Was that Integra from Lambeg? There used to be a really faded red one floating about that looked like it was a daily driver, haven't seen it in a few months.

ace275

RMS Regular
OP
ace275
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Was that Integra from Lambeg? There used to be a really faded red one floating about that looked like it was a daily driver, haven't seen it in a few months.

That's the one! It was his daily driver for over 15 years, but he didn't look after it at all

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
I was tempted to offer him bad money for it a few times, glad I didn't now! That's well beyond my pigeon **** welding skills.

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Reminds me of my first Cherokee. Bought in London with a full years ticket. Took it to get a set of mud terrains fitted and the rear axle nearly fell off on the ramp.

Mate had to spend a full day welding patches in it.

What about the white Mk1 MX5 you bought for parts :joy: Big square of tinfoil stuffed under the carpet hiding a massive hole through to the outside :joy: I felt bad for the fella that paid good money for that car!

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
How did they know it was a different test centre?
Not sure, unless there is some sites that give an mot centre number over in England when doing a check.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Not sure, unless there is some sites that give an mot centre number over in England when doing a check.

Not without a V5 document number that I can see anyway. Would be handy to know!

What about the white Mk1 MX5 you bought for parts :joy: Big square of tinfoil stuffed under the carpet hiding a massive hole through to the outside :joy: I felt bad for the fella that paid good money for that car!

Yes that was bought from a dealer and a 8in hole in the sill was filled with a potato sack and then gobbed with filler with a plate then put over the top followed by lead oxide. The filler and plate really did look like it had been welded so you could forgive the MOT examiner to a certain extent lol. Had a kinked metal brake line in the rear and all sorts of other dodgy repairs and liberal applications of black waxoyl IIRC.

I'm still using parts off that car!