Are BMW Destroying the M badge???

Are BMW Destroying the M badge???

• Total voters
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gormley

RMS Regular
Seems to me that bwm are cashing in on the succes of the M range and are now plastering as many cars as possible with the badge, was round looking at bmw's and noticed the 5 series estate which was the "sports" model, the f*ucking thing was plasterd wiv M badges on the inside and on the spec list it said sports bumpers that where more aerodynamic. it was an esate ffs wiv nothing sporty about it. it used 2 be that when you saw an M badge it actually ment some thing now all it seems to mean thats theres lots of shiney bits on the inside some poser who things its makes his car faster

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Bollocks i just clicked Yes when i ment No...

But any way i personally do not think that they are destroying the M badge. It is used to emphasise performance and all that goes with that. And it works its purpose.

Ok it seems they have possibly went OTT with the 5 series estate that you are talking about, perhaps they are cashing in on a feature that is unique too much. But i still believe the badge serves its purpose. i would say they have a reason to put the badges on a car.

And roll on the M series 318 that BMW are introducing / introduced.

Perhaps you do have the point that the badge is loosing the uniqueness. But they are serving the market as the sales figures are there that more and more people are buying beemers.

Gormley

RMS Regular
OP
G
can see how the badge makes the car go any quicker or emphasises performance. most bmw "sports" models r plastered with the badges and most aint any faster than the basic models, i wonder how many of the cars there putting out with M badges on them some where actually have been any where near the Motorsports division

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Fair point Gormley but bare in mind alot of people rebadge "lesser" models that have not recieved the M treatment with the badges.

I certainly remember the 318 i mentioned before that it had the likes of uprated suspension, brakes etc, perhaps this is reason enough to recieve the badge ??

Gormley

RMS Regular
OP
G
if the car actually has had stuff upgraded then fair enough, but it just seems that most aint got much more than a fancy gear nob or different steering weel

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Fair point sir. I think the likes of the steering wheels are optional extras so i guess it depends on the person. They should restrict the use of it a bit more maybe.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
surely this isnt up to bmw, but instead the tossers who buy them and put the m badge on them? the m badge is a grand status on the m3, and m5. on 318's, 325's, 320's etc, it should be outlawed

the likes of m-tech multi function wheel etc, should be exempt from the equation. these are merely extras which enhance the usage and personal comfort. unlike the m body kits which are "wannabe's" of the original. its this type of behaviour which should be prohibited at the dealership, buying a basic lump of turd, eg a 318ci, and transforming it to a pretend m3 by throwing all the m accessories at it. thats taking the piss out of the m gear, and its this rudeness which tars it with this controversial brush. in moderation, the odd accessory inside + perhaps wheels is fine

Gormley

RMS Regular
OP
G
it is up 2 bwm cus there putting the stuff on from the factory or offering it as extras

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Gormley said:
it is up 2 bwm cus there putting the stuff on from the factory or offering it as extras

fair enough they should limit the amount, but they should disallow people to take the piss+order every extra

Neil_M

RMS Regular
I think its the beemer attitude that everything is a feckin extra.

And 2bh they are worried about image etc atm as they are selling bucket loads of beemers :confounded:.

Gormley

RMS Regular
OP
G
what ever there doin its working cus there as common as your average family car, they seem to be loosing their exclusiveness big style. used to love them but not so sure now

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Fortunatly, Ford seem to ahve got their idea in check with the RS and ST badges so thats not a major worry for me. :grinning:

bob

RMS Regular
I can't really see the problem. Often these cars have M-motorsport engines or parts so i think they have every right to an M badge as M3. What i wouldn't be impressed with is 318s badged as M3's but then thats got nothing to do with BMW.

Dermot

wee_neiler said:
But any way i personally do not think that they are destroying the M badge. It is used to emphasise performacne and all that goes with that.

Yes, Note it "Used" to... When it stuck on the ass of every 318i and 320D you see it kinda defeat's what it "USED" to stand for... I agree with Gormley, 'M' badges should be kept for the cars that deserve them...

Moddie

RMS Regular
Drives
mk2 golf
Lyons said:
surely this isnt up to bmw, but instead the tossers who buy them and put the m badge on them? the m badge is a grand status on the m3, and m5. on 318's, 325's, 320's etc, it should be outlawed

and M3 Compacts... thats the stupidist one. imo dont but an M badge on unless its an M3 or M5!!

pablo

RMS Moderator
saw a 5 series the other day. white and totally std.

on the left was an M5 badge and on the right a 520i badge.

FFS MAN!!!!

Saying that the new M3 will have 500bhp odds and a 7speed box! **** ME

Then there is the new M6 :laughing:

Neil_M

RMS Regular
In you opinion guys would you agree then or be happy enough for an M series 318 that i was talking about?

I think the mag is in the bin so i cant check any specs of it. But as long as it has some under bonnet tinkering chassis, brake mods etc would you guys be happy with that?

As im sure you guys kno back in the day the 320is were modified M3 lumps to keep company car buyers happy for tax reasons. Its not all about capicity to recieve the M series badge IMO. More over all a performance orientated car.

slinky2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta ST
pablo said:

FFS MAN!!!!

Saying that the new M3 will have 500bhp odds and a 7speed box! **** ME

Then there is the new M6 :laughing:

****** HELL

rsnutter

R
the m badge does NOT mean performance. it is used to describe extra or sports parts, whats wrong with that?? all bodykits, wheels etc you can buy from ford are called RS parts, but that doesnt mean they make the car faster or anything.

monie

As BMW see it the M3 and M5 have there own badges so any other BMW with an M-Tec kit alloys steering wheel etc gets the M badge but it has to be said they are takin the pi$$ with some of the cars with M-tech badges

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
pablo said:

FFS MAN!!!!

:twisted: yip there we have it, the tosser who likes to display their car as something its not.

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
I would have let him off with a laughing point chorus, to be that silly he probably was unable to remove the badge and left it :p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.