Usual rule applies

Any era any model any price bmw is superior

Vag cars just feel like an appliance rather than anything else I'mo

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
F30 wasn’t out in 2010. Always good to see it again though! 😜

If you can get a facelift, then the A5. If you can’t, definitely the BM. An LCi 320d M sport would be a nice choice for family car.
Well he did put up a picture of an F30, and the M Performance kit he’s talking about wasn’t really a thing on the E90, so he must therefore mean an F30, but thought it was out slightly earlier than it was.

Hope that clarify things for you Mr Lyons :oops:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Well he did put up a picture of an F30, and the M Performance kit he’s talking about wasn’t really a thing on the E90, so he must therefore mean an F30, but thought it was out slightly earlier than it was.

Hope that clarify things for you Mr Lyons :oops:

I stand corrected, didn’t spot the photo. My bad. It was the reference to the M Sport kit that made me sway towards the E90. I’ll forgive your mistake on dates too!

In that case, F30 over pre-facelift A5. No matter how common they are, they still look great. The latter is very dated over all in comparison I’d say.

Last edited:

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Forget all this F30 crud and "M performance kits" because it's just plastic tat window-bonded on.

Ps : the last time I really bothered with a bmw is when I owned a 84 7 series when I was 23 l😂
And go get another old 7er.
As reliable as an 2010 Audi or BMW and far more comfortable and far better looking.

Let everyone know you are a man of classic taste, of style, who would dare to be different but can still cut his way in modern society.

2835fb66c13a1132cbdcbab8336a740f4d43cc68.jpg

Get an E23.
WIN.

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Forget all this F30 crud and "M performance kits" because it's just plastic tat window-bonded on.

And go get another old 7er.
As reliable as an 2010 Audi or BMW and far more comfortable and far better looking.

Let everyone know you are a man of classic taste, of style, who would dare to be different but can still cut his way in modern society.

2835fb66c13a1132cbdcbab8336a740f4d43cc68.jpg

Get an E23.
WIN.
Whilst I agree the E23 is a very cool motor, you can’t compare a classic to a modern car and the plastic tat comment is just harsh ;)

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
Go drive both...

Bmw look better but with the 3L lump in the Audi I’d say that would feel nicer to drive due to the extra powaaa

aaflyer79

RMS Regular
I’d avoid the cheap M Perf kits especially those on so many 14 plate F30s (usually white) that are only the ‘ed’ spec. The 20 inch alloys will ruin the ride especially on poorly surfaced B roads. But ETTO. F30 (I’ve had 3 - albeit 330/335d) are really nice.

Either way - enjoy your purchase and drive safe

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I've had numerous examples of both and most recent comparisons were an A6 BiTDi which I had earlier this year, and a F30 330d which we got for my wife at the end of last year.

The "BMW is better! No, Audi is better!" internet argument approach reminds me of the Nintendo/Sega divisions back in school days :p. They're both good, in different ways. I generally find the Audis have better tech and nicer interior materials, but BMW counters by being (usually) more engaging to drive and sometimes more road presence with the Performance kits and so on.

Asides from the dreaded EGR recall, wife's 330d has been great and I love it to drive - more than enough power for a daily, and the engine and gearbox both impress.

e320mark

RMS Regular
I owned an a5 black edition plus, great looking car! Be wary of the pedal placement, they are off set and after a while I found my back got sore on long drives! Wife wouldn’t drive it as she found it too uncomfortable!
Dash way better then the bmw though!
I now drive an f30 330d, love it cracking car to drive & very comfortable! Audi dash wins though
9A3B0FDB-3158-4043-977B-AD69C126D9B8.jpeg

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Not considered a merc? I'm looking for a estate around 2017 so far I've found Audi too dear. BMW dash makes me sad. Test drove a c220d merc and have to admit ticked all the boxes

colin84

RMS Regular
Not considered a merc? I'm looking for a estate around 2017 so far I've found Audi too dear. BMW dash makes me sad. Test drove a c220d merc and have to admit ticked all the boxes

The interior is definitely much nicer to look at in the Merc.

Big Jon

RMS Regular
Drives
G87 M2
Wrong thread!
Oops! That’s what i get for posting this early!
Could a mod move my last post to the What Car for £25k thread please?
So to actually post something on topic here, I had an F20 M135i and changed to a B9 S4 last year and would echo most of the previous comments, ie Audi has a lovely interior but miss the Beemer for outright fun.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
A5 Quattro stronic was one of the best cars I ever owned, not what you would call exciting but it was a great comfortable cruiser and it was incredibly reliable. Over my 3 years of ownership it only required servicing.

I did honestly prefer it to the 2 BMWs I had before that, it actually marked the end to a long run of BMW ownership for me and a defection to Audi for the next 7 or so years.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
It’s just personal taste! I just don’t like how they look, the command controller is awful too. The newer A Class is an improvement with the touchscreen.
Ah fair enough

Personally I prefer the audi but its just working out to expensive for the spec I want. I wish I could love the BMW interior as I'm sold on the exterior looks but it just doesnt tickle me