B20 EF Civic

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I'd hate to take it out to get dirty but then again i'd love it. Probably one of the cleanest ive ever seen, top job man.

Can't wait for summer to have shoot for this and the Z. You are a legend for saving car like this!
Thanks Guys

I can't wait for summer because it means I get to drive both my cars again. And it will be cool to have some great photos of the both of them.

Unfortunately its not in quite as good condition as I would like, theres a few areas that need attention, I have a full respray planned for this once the Datsun is finished.

I love how you have to put this away but still have the z to keep you occupied you lucky sod haha
Not quite that lucky, both my cars are away now and I'm back at work. The only good thing about that is that I miss the crappy weather, I'm in Malta at the moment and the weather here is like an early summers day back home, I'm loving it compared to the weather I just came from. I thought about taking one of my cars here, but I wouldn't risk it, the roads are quite poor and the drivers are dodgy so its probably better that they stay safely tucked away at home.

Last edited:

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Just been driving recently, not much to update on, was on 120 miles when I got back, its now on 420 so I will be changing the oil soon and switching from mineral running in oil to fully synthetic.

I've been loving the engine, its so powerful and torquey despite not going more than half throttle or past 4500rpm or being mapped 100%.

Needed to keep an eye on AFR's s I installed a wideband.

DSCF1515.jpg

DSCF1516.jpg

Neat little gauge, its touchscreen and has different displays and if I get other sensors installed this can display them also so no need for another gauge.

Wired into the original O2 sensor power and earth wires and narrowband signal going to ECU, once the S300 goes in I will just run wideband only.

DSCF1571.jpg

DSCF1574.jpg

DSCF1575.jpg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Not much to update, I did 1600 miles in this while I was home and loved every one of them, its so much fun to drive and I can never wait until the next time I drive it.

Photo quality isn't great, photobucket seems to have messed them up.

DSCF1663.jpg

DSCF1673.jpg

DSCF1695.jpg

DSCF1665.jpg

DSCF1683.jpg

DSCF1674.jpg

DSCF1699.jpg

My Hondata was faulty so it prevented my from mapping it, however I sent it back to H-Tune and eventually got it back working so I have started to tune it. I started having a problem with my timing belt whipping too much, common problem with these decks and it doesn't help with a skimmed head and big cams.

This arrived the day before I out it away, hopefully it does the job.

IMG-20141016-01100.jpg

IMG-20141016-01103.jpg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Thanks

Glad I got him in the mood, take it he doesn't use his much?

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
That's shocking, shame on you. lol. Its made to be driven so get out there and drive it. Still remember loving mine even when it was stock.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Well, I haven't forgotten this. I have been working on it, spent a while waiting on final parts, its all ready to be mapped now the next time I'm home on leave.

Fitted new throttle body as my theory was that it was my throttle body that was casing my fast idle issues, I was correct and it now idles a tad under 1000, as low as I'll be able to get it with my cams.

DSCF8874.jpg

DSCF8878.jpg

Extra tensioner is doing its job:

DSCF8877.jpg

Finally fitted my DeatschWerks 430cc injectors, the 280cc type r ones I has were maxxing out at high rpms. I re-tuned it after fitting these and I'm sure it runs and sounds smoother. I guess the better spray pattern helps the fuel to atomize better and therefore burn better.

DSCF8882.jpg

Front wheels were in a state due to the Hawk HP+ pads being very dusty and that dust being rather corrosive. I cleaned them, clayed them, polished then and sealed them. Look much better than they did.

DSCF8886.jpg

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
I love this Ian. Its so nice to see something different to norm on here.

I take it you work off shore?

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Don't know how you choose what keys to pick up when you're home. Both great cars in their own ways.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I take it you work off shore?
Yeah, I work on a Yacht.

Don't know how you choose what keys to pick up when you're home. Both great cars in their own ways.
Well, the Civic is the daily driver as such but if I can't decide I'll just drive one after the other. They both feel so different to drive its quite a change going from one to the other.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Yeah, I work on a Yacht.

I bet you get to see some interesting things..

I bet the Honda is a hoot to drive. I had the loan of friend`s while in the Isle of Man tho it was a dual carb model it went alright and was nice to drive.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
I bet you get to see some interesting things..
I sure do, I think I mentioned some of this in my 260Z GT-R thread, if you are interested, have a look there.

I bet the Honda is a hoot to drive. I had the loan of friend`s while in the Isle of Man tho it was a dual carb model it went alright and was nice to drive.
Its great to drive, you feel very connected and you can tell its very light when driving it, plenty of torque low down so it can really fly out the corners.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
just read through this ... wow!
never knew it existed
credit to you for saving the wee car in the 1st place!
that is some modding for sure and the attention to detail is great to see.
Respect for sure and your other build on the nissan is excellent as well

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
The Attention to detail in this car is very like the Nissan even tho there different budgets this is a credit to you as well.

I read you where in Turkey not so long ago thats pretty mad that you get to see so much of the world fair play.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
OP
EF Ian
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Thanks Guys

Haven't updated in a while. I attempted to get this finished when I was last home but it didn't really go well.

Got it mapped but it didn't make good power, only 212hp with an engine of higher spec than the previous that made 243hp, this should be making the same or more than that, it also only revs to 8000 now despite having the same head setup where the previous made power right up to 8400. The fuelling is also rich, f*****g rich, like 12:1 at times. Possible something has changed since the map that had made it rich.

I also started getting a fault code for injector wiring, I think it may have rubber through by rubbing on the intake, I attempted a fix but it came back again, I will try and sort this fully when I have it out again.

I'm not getting enough voltage at idle or low rpms, I put this down to the largely underdriven pulley on my ATI Damper however I will fit a new alternator to rule that out.

I'm sure its possible to get it all sorted and hopefully make decent power, its just I don't really have the time so its hard. I'm even considering giving up and getting something like an E39 M5 or S13 modded to 300 - 400hp. Not as a project, just as a fun daily driver as the Z is for dry weather only.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Hopefully the Civic`s problems at noting major and with some luck it will turn out a simple fix.

As for a daily fun car what about the PS13 there Rare over here and look fantastic.

AaronO

RMS Regular
Drives
Bicycle
Don't get rid of it looks like there has been a lot of time and effort that has went into it and you'll regret it.

It'll almost be impossible to get a mint one too that isn't severe money. These cars will go up in money look at the price even clean 1.4 EF's make

ek4

RMS Regular
Drives
ek4
Who done the mapping and what rollers did you use?

Great car,remember it back in the day.

Topmark

RMS Regular
You sound like a man who wouldn't let anybody else near it, but if you don't have the time it requires to put it right, Michael @ Type Two might be worth talking to. A Honda pro who's had lots of project stuff in, when I had my EK anyway.