"Barrier free tolling"

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
They are removing all toll barriers on the M50 around Dublin this weekend.

It will no longer be possible to pay as you pass.

Instead, apparently, they take a picture of the number plate, and then you are supposed to pay within 24 hours online/by phone. Or pre-pay.

Question is, what happens to us with non-Irish plates. Will they send the lads with the bats up to collect?

Some chap on local radio said they had a trigger limit on the amount "owed" before they would send out the bailiffs, but no mention about "foreign" plates.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
TBH they should be paying us for the amount of time wasted on that shambles of a 'motorway' instead of eagerly collecting more and more tolls off it.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Will take more resources collecting unpaid money that it would by collecting cash there and then I'd imagine

w.reid306

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo / SV650s
the call centre in bangor (MM) is dealing with the fonecalls from that.

I know a few people working der so ill ask n c if they know.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
TBH they should be paying us for the amount of time wasted on that shambles of a 'motorway' instead of eagerly collecting more and more tolls off it.

Definitely, it is a complete nightmare, roadworks and closures and diversions everywhere. Makes you think Belfast is not so bad after all :-#

brendy

RMS Regular
All our companies cars have been registered for the photo system, means we can drive downa nd through whenever we need to and have no worries about getting a call at a later date.
Its all in the name of easing toll congestion, foreign plates wil be tracked also though I beleive the way it works is they charge you say 3 euros, then if you fail to pay, the second 3 euros then after another 14 daysit goes up to 40 euros plus the original outstanding fee and penalty then 56 days later another 100 euros is heaped on for good meansure, this then makes it viable to chase you until you pay with legal proceedings.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
How exactly can they expect anyone to pay within 24 hours ???

What about foreigners, tourists, and people who simply wont know they have to pay.

What a totally stupid system. Wonder was it someone from here that designed it ?

Avant1

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
Copied from the website. Link: http://eflow.ie/tolls/index.htm

How do you manage foreign vehicles?
Foreign-registered vehicles using the M50 are subject to the same rules as Irish-registered vehicles.

For all motorists using the M50, whether registered or unregistered, national or foreign, the non-payment of tolls is an offence under the legislation. The National Roads Authority has therefore established a rigorous enforcement policy implemented through a trans-European enforcement agency to assist in the recovery of unpaid toll charges and fines and the prosecution of all toll evaders of Irish or foreign registered vehicles.

The onus is also on foreign motorists arriving in any country to be aware of bye-laws and rules of the road. Information is also available through motoring organisations, car hire companies and tourist bodies here and abroad.

Bryan

RMS Regular
It would take some cross-border co-operation with the DVLNI to trace cars etc. I don't think they can do it yet but they just don't want to admit it.

Imagine how many NI registered cars they would have to trace on a daily basis - the DVLNI would probably have to have someone dedicated to providing the details!

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
I am originally from the South and there was a thing on the radio bout this when i was visiting the folks at the weekend ...... basically they said they cant follow northern plates yet so bomb on and wave at the camera. Itll be christmas before they can track Northern plates.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
I think I heard today that they expect the revenue to be around €80m pa with the system to run it costing €25m pa!

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
whats to stop people putting a plate on 100 yards from it and removing it just through it to save paying?

poor idea if you ask me

Steveo@modifiedni

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3/Triumph
Its a way of making double the money too - take a pic of your illegal plate going through a toll and BAM £30 (or watever) fine for illegal plate!

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Will this be the case of the usual, forget about it unless you're pulled over :scream:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I went through a toll there in the middle of July...I was getting my euro's out to pay but then the barrier lifted...I was off like a shot incase it would come down again but then we realised it took a photo of the reg and would post the bil...

Havent heard from them in 5/6 weeks at least!

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
This is absolutely ridiculous, I go through 4 tolls on an average day in my usual trip to our Dublin office and there's no way I'll be bothered ringing up 4 times to make payments over the phone. They'll probably find that many people will start to ring from their cars too and thus there are more collisions caused. They can chase me for it :p

Gaz

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
time for no front number plate or those non photograpic plates you read about in those magazines

Mark_C

RMS Regular
25m a year to run the system.

More like 1m a year and 24m profit for the corrupt department handling it.

Italy has NOTHING on southern Ireland for immoral and dodgy business practice.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
24 hours to pay is a joke......

Wonder if you could set up a stall before the cameras, selling number plates ?

PeteM

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat CC
I paid it there, bit random - doesnt confirm that you travelled through it or anything! hmmmmmmm

Bryan

RMS Regular
I went through last Tuesday/Wednesday and still haven't got a letter etc... will be going through it tonight as well.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.