Belfast Motor Show 2014, Kings Hall

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

peter wilson

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 95 Aero Hot
Well I paid my tenner and went in. Now. I was always used to the Motor Show within the Kings Hall itself and was surprised to be directed to the rough ground at the side but no matter. Had a good look around the yoof cars and then the classics. I expected then to somehow go into the hall by some side entrance expecting to see a show as in the past. Was a bit surprised to be directed into an outhouse at the back of the show ground where there were trade stands trying to flog me stuff. Few cars of note such as the Noble and really tidy MX5. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Thought they could have made a lot more of it with the space that they have to play with. Think there were more cars at Greers that day. Here's a few snaps I took. The Volvo is JCLC's
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
Was going to post that screen shot hippyross added on the previous page...

Quoting:
"It's been years since the people of Belfast and Northern Ireland as a whole had a motor show to look forward to. For many the Motor Show was a not to be missed event, a chance to see what's new and what's available and a must for the motoring enthusiast."

Deception - they're trying to pass this off as the return of the Ulster Motor Show. Defintely a job for Trading Standards.

Someone should try to place an order for a Noble just to see it they is any manufacturer representation at all. Sure if they CAN take the order, we could have a whip round on the forum to pay for it... RMS group buy?

Bryan

RMS Regular
Glad I didn't go to this now going by the feedback.

I was in Mazda earlier eyeing up the new Mazda 6 and I happened to mention this show to the salesman. He said they were asking ridiculous fees to have a trade stand at the show and it wasn't worth their while going to it.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Right...

Exhibition hall - Half a badly lit shed with eyebrow threading, solar panels, something about the EU tekkin' ar' bikes, some detailing stands and the PSNI Evo that everyone has now seen at every other show (and now badly, badly wrapped in fake carbon). Oh and the MX5 you see everywhere (nice car, but if you've been at a show in NI in the past year you'll have seen it before) and two Deloreans. The Noble was class but there's only so long you can look at one car. The two folks manning it looked terminally depressed, which I don't blame them for to be honest as I doubt they made a single sale. They could have at least passed the time by maybe chatting to the enthusiasts that might have been interested in the details.

In fairness I did hear that they approached Hurst's, etc and were snubbed.

Show and Shine - The only people I heard talking about this show all week were family members or work colleagues who heard about it on the radio. No one I spoke with bar a few off here and BCS knew it was even on. None of the car clubs knew about it as far as I can tell. Do they really think those interested in showing cars are going to be interested by an ad in the paper? The approach was entirely arse about face. The turnout could have been fitted in the other half of the exhibition shed with room to spare.

Action packed entertainment - No motorsport, couple of bouncy castles and a few oul dolls that should know better singing karaoke. The robot was good, I'll give them that. The strongman competition was cool, but not exactly sure how it fits in with a motor show.

Organisation - I spoke with a dozen people who had just walked in the front doors, money in hand and found no one there so just walked in for free. No timetable for events (strongman, celebrities (?), robot, demonstrations, etc.) so no one knew what, if anything, was happening.

Regardless, I still had a great day. Met loads of new faces and chatted beardy ***** to oul fellas about the Beemer. Had a good yarn and a giggle with the guy that owned the E Type too, proper gent from Fermanagh direction.

The nails across the showing area really pissed me off though and was an indication of how the event was run. You really got the impression it was organised by people with very little interest in cars at all.

IF they run again next year (IF!), they need;

• More presence from manufacturers or even the likes of Hursts on board.
  • Much better communication with the car clubs to get a good showing.
  • Some sort of motorsport, whether it's autotesting or something else. If UCS can do it in a car park, they could have done it there.
And as for the "told you so" crowd. Yes, you were right. But it's an absolute crying shame. The foundations for an excellent event were there, just badly, badly executed.

Last edited:

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Did anyone really expect this to be a "Motor Show" style event.....! Come on guys, if you payed £10, you can only blame yourself.....

That's what it was advertised as. Many of us here didn't think it would be any good anyway (hence why we didn't go), but you can't blame the average guy on the street who heard's there a big motor show on in the Kings Hall.

ph11mcf

RMS Regular
Drives
SQ7/ftype v8
Waste of time poor poor poor,was walking in, and a fella stopped us and said heres 2 tickets but dont bother its crap,
He was right no one even asked for tickets, just walked in-- inside the 1 hall there was more stalls than cars
So drove round to hurst and had a nosey round the ferarris, bentleys range rovers ,was much better

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
SubaruLegacy
Did anyone really expect this to be a "Motor Show" style event.....! Come on guys, if you payed £10, you can only blame yourself.....
I was considering not going, but I'd rather go and find its no good than not go and find I missed something good. At least I saved a few quid with 50cals 10% off and choose not to use the carpark.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Oh I've two tickets for anyone that wants to go tomorrow LOL

Reactions: dub

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Facebook is the same. Every single post is negative.

What annoys me is that this will probably destroy any chance of having a proper motor show here for a long time.

Nope BCS have pulled the whole stand out of the show, we were told they were tight for space :/

No more selfies then? :p

Am I f**k, left shortly after 4 with the car. The security fella said are you not staying for the music and laughed.

At least you can escape lol.

PhilGT_2008

RMS Regular
That's what's annoying me is that there is the potential to do a proper decent car show here but this experience for the general public will scupper it. Very hard to win the volume of people back to pay again who are not enthusiasts if there was ever a proper show put on in the future.

Mark315

RMS Regular
Drives
R
What a pile of sh!te. Really disappointing. Granted I was given the tickets, but not the point.

PSNI evo, the abarth and getting some 50 cal filler glaze were the highlights:rolleyes:

Loads of people looking refunds on fb now lol

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.