Best Bodywork/Paint?

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
As @Jas Lad has said. Made a balls of a bumper on my car. I haven't went back since. Colour match and Paint finish was good though.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
If some place has done an unsatisfactory job I don't understand why you wouldn't go back to them to get in sorted, you have the right to do so especially when paying a good sum.

Then judge on there response and if the finish it the way they should have.

If the red one it to satisfaction without charge then I would give them a second chance.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Typically between £150-200 per panel in a decent body shop but depends if adjacent panels need blended etc.

From what I have seen of AG's stuff it is absolutely first class, overspray is easily sorted but crap paint will always be crap paint.

I've seen a fair few paintjobs from well respected bodyshops (some mentioned on here) that are in my opinion no better than average at best.

But I would probably be the most critical person on the forum regards to paint finishes as its my bread and butter working at it all day.

Not saying they were bad jobs BTW but they certainly weren't amazing

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Recommendations around East Belfast? Maybe around Newtownabbey area.

All I need is a spoiler painted and I just don’t have the time between work and kids to venture far after work.

KRCR is no longer trading who would have been my go too in the past in case anyone suggests Terry.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf

All I need is a spoiler painted and I just don’t have the time between work and kids to venture far after work.

KRCR is no longer trading who would have been my go too in the past in case anyone suggests Terry.
Blairs in doagh? Or too far out?

Philljdm

RMS Regular
Drives
mk2.5 focus st

How come krcr no longer trading?

Tk motors get a good name.

Modmedia

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla M3P
If you really want it close to Belfast you could try Auto Q or J&W.

They won't do as good a job as WJ Blair but for a spoiler would be more than acceptable.

J&W used to be really good, but the last job they did for me on my wife's car wasn't up to the standard I had came to expect - and it was just painting to fix scrapes no damage. Auto Q on the other hand have got a fair bit better over the years IMO. Like I say, I now use WJ Blair for my stuff as I was very happy with the last two jobs I had done there.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
If you want the best bodywork and paint in the game, it's for sure @SuitorMenswear

just ask @Rocko @Cooper @Gaz and any of the RMS 'elite'

and we won't hear a bad word said about it

/podcast bants

We won't hear a bad word said about our trade sponsors, they follow the trade rules to the letter of the law - the LETTER of the LAW

1619018678352.png

rollinstone

RMS Regular
Drives
Old man car
I just got the scooby done in j&w and have to say I was like a child at Christmas getting it back. A great job on a side door that had substantial scrapes and dents blending in the three panels and sanding and respraying the spoiler where water had got in under the paint to the fiberglass and then bubbled and cracked the paint

Philljdm

RMS Regular
Drives
mk2.5 focus st

Who did you end up using?

cupraricky

RMS Regular
THREAD REVIVAL.

Friend has a couple of cars needing different stages of paint/bodywork. What's the latest with best place to go?

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
THREAD REVIVAL.

Friend has a couple of cars needing different stages of paint/bodywork. What's the latest with best place to go?

Interested too as I've a project that will be getting a full colour change and I won't be going back to the guy close to Coleraine and Portrush that some folk recommend.

Not knocking anyone that recommends him by the way. Just not the quality of work I expected and in nowhere near the timeframe I was told.

pkn

RMS Regular
Drives
Evora S / 159
I've had a couple of jobs done by Blairs in Doagh over the past few years which have been flawless.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Interested too as I've a project that will be getting a full colour change and I won't be going back to the guy close to Coleraine and Portrush that some folk recommend.

Not knocking anyone that recommends him by the way. Just not the quality of work I expected and in nowhere near the timeframe I was told.

See above.

Some might say I'm not being fair posting this however this thread is about who to use for bodywork/paint. If it is allowed for someone to be recommended by others when a good job is done then legitimate negative feedback for a poor job should be allowed too. Doesn't matter if the work is put right or not, it was still a poor job in the first place.

Imagine if I recommended someone to a close friend or relative and it ended up needing done again? Not ideal and certainly not ideal for anyone on here either when someone is recommended and it ends up not being the quality work they expected.

If he did a perfect job on anyone's car on here, that's great, he's more than capable I'm sure, and you are entitled to recommend him.

If he's as good as what people say (and that's the sole reason I used him), then it should have been a perfect job first time anyway and done in the time frame I was told, not a month later.

This is the most noticeable of the issues, there is more. I didn't notice them on handover as I didn't go around the car with a fine toothed comb however his own quality control should have picked up any issues anyway.

Screenshot_20230106_102459_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

If he'd had done it right first time AS EXPECTED then I wouldn't be posting this, I'd be recommending him instead.

I'll get the popcorn out...

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
I have gave a well known painter numerous chances....

#Corsa C wing dent fixed and painted -

Filler sank, resulting in needing redone 3 times.

#Rockshox Fork painting -

Paint flaking after a short time.

#Clio 182 bumper and bonnet painted -

Orange peel and fish eyes in paint.
Washer jets on bonnet not plumbed back in.
Washer jets on bumper not plumbed back in.
Xenon unit not working when car returned.

#Leon numberplate plinth-
Holes from numberplate screws not filled properly, became visable after a short while.

#BMW bumper-
Poor overall finish, was asked for more money than quoted.
To be fair I was refunded for this job.

Decided then to change painter and used Matty at MRB Autobody Ballymoney for the rear quarters and doors on the A6 to get rid of the elderly previous owners parking rash.

It was literally half the price of the previous outfit. 150 a panel instead of 300+.

Quality is great and I didnt have to return to have anything rectified or redone.

Last edited: