BMW E36 COMPACT 328i TRACK/RALLY CAR

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
So a wee update

Got my False floor is on either side
floor plate.jpg

Stripped the whole inside out and started a tidy up and a spray.
rear cage.jpg
undercoat.jpg
cage3.jpg
cage4.jpg
cage5.jpg
cage6.jpg

Got my badly needed sump guard on
sump.jpg
sump.jpg

All thats left is Bleed Up the Brakes and the clutch and get my new seats and harnesses in then Nutts Corner on Sunday!!

Attachments

• cage2.jpg
    cage2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 179

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Good wee project, I saw it running at nutts a few months ago.

Can I ask tho, how are the front legs of the cage mounted? Just butt welded onto the floor?

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
Cheers mate...
I have strengthening plates welded to the floor and then the cage bolts down through those.

Cost me around £450 to get the cage done. The seamless roll cage pipe is really dear.

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
Got my bucket seats and harnesses in tonight and bled up the brakes and the clutch. Need to give the inside a bit of a clean but basically done.
2014-02-13 21.27.56.jpg
2014-02-13 21.28.10.jpg
2014-02-13 21.28.28.jpg

Got the engine bay all built up again and gave it a quick clean :grinning:
2014-02-13 22.11.56.jpg

Now all thats left is to get my tyres switched onto my rims, stick them on the car, put her down and I'm finally ready!!
2014-02-13 21.29.11.jpg

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
Got on good enough today. Started to dry up after the 2nd stage well.
On stage 3 I was going well and then the car started jumping out of 2nd gear. By the end of stage 3 I had one hand on the steering wheel and the other pulling back as hard as possible wrestling to keep her in gear!! After this 2nd was non existent.

Happy enough with the result

6th out of 16 in class6
36th out of 129 overall, and all with no 2nd gear.lol

Uploading the in-car cam of stage 3 at the moment to youtube. You will see the problem. :laughing:

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
So...after Sunday I know have a sick rep in the compact.

2nd gear now doesn't exist so a new box has to be put in. Going to get a different short shifter also as the throw between gears is still ridiculous

Whilst I have the box out there will be a solid lightened flywheel conversion put in along with a new sprung clutch and pressure plate.

The back end is in severe need of attention. Will be sticking in polybushes along with disc brake rear arms. Hopefully get the wider 2.8 Z3 arms and get my arches on.

Finally a new set of competition pads and silicone radiator hoses.

Hopefully will get down to trackskills on the 23rd of March :grinning:

Let the work commence!!!

Slippy stage 1

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
Finally have got time to get back down and start working on the heavy Compact again.

To start off the mighty battle of getting her up in the air. :laughing:
2014-02-27 20.42.40.jpg

Got the exhaust and sump guard back off as I'm pulling the whole rear end out of her and gearbox needed sorted.
2014-02-27 21.10.50.jpg

After this I got a wee look in round her and noticed this!!
2014-02-27 21.08.47.jpg
2014-02-27 21.09.03.jpg

Both engine mounts have completely sheared off and the engine is sitting about 4 inches further foward and to the left.

AND I WAS WONDERING WHY 2ND GEAR WASN'T ENGAGING PROPERLY!!!:mad: x2 engine mounts needed me thinks .lol

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
Haven't been on in a while due to working in England at the moment, but I'm back at the Mo so I'm in Compact mode!!

photo (10).JPG
First of all I had to get her back up in the air as when I was away she was put out side

photo.JPG
Gathered up all the goodies that I have bought for her :grinning:

photo (12).JPG

I dropped out the back end, converted it to disc brake and fully polybushed it

photo (6).JPG
Stuck it back in.....PERFECT!!!

photo (2).JPG

Got my top mounts on and set them for more Castor and Camber angle.

photo (5).JPG
Set the strut brace up just to see what it may look like

photo (7).JPG
Removed the 328 oil filter housing. Took the inlet off for handiness sake

photo (9).JPG

E46 M3 Oil Filter Housing on. A feww wee changes to be made but bolt on 100%

photo (8).JPG
photo (3).JPG

New Engine Mounts in

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
photo (1).JPG

Pulled the gearbox out and the clutch pressure plate and flywheel to fit my lighter, Solid flywheel out of an E30 Sport.
Only problem is that about 5mm needs shaved off the sump where the two bolts go up through.

photo (4).JPG
photo (11).JPG

Removed the fuel tank and chopped it in half. I was having trouble with loss of power in RH corners as the fuel was going the the Left side of the tank and starving the pump. Now there will be no Left side so problem solved..... and less weight :grinning:

Emurphy783

RMS Regular
OP
Emurphy783
Drives
R31 Skyline
So today I got my new oil filter housing fully bolted up. Needed a few modifications for the steering pump and a different banjo bolt for the Vanos feed pipe but its done
photo 1.JPG

Mocked up 2 brackets just to get the oil cooler in the right place, just a matter of making stronger ones now
photo 4.JPG

Put the braided hose on and piped it to the inside of the car. The fuel filter and pipes were battered underneath so it was only a matter of time before I was up in flames.
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

More tomorrow :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.