BMW E87 130i M Sport

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Call up any time chum. I'd say it is good fun, I have watched a few youtube videos of them and they seem impressive

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Call up any time chum. I'd say it is good fun, I have watched a few youtube videos of them and they seem impressive

Will give you a shout and take a race up sometime. Haven't been to the new place yet so must get a nosey.

Goodridge have emailed back and have asked for the old hoses to see if they can come up with a solution - good customer service (y)

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
I was looking forward to this update Dave, the bolsters came up nicely (y)

sounds like the garage had some fun with the brakes :worried:

I dunno about you, but I think the Xenons make a world of difference for driving at this time of year in the mornings and at night, just as well you got the levelers and washers fixed (y)

have you tried railway autospares (http://www.railwayautospares.com/) or partsgateway for a replacement alternator?

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Haven't tried yet, was looking at new / refurbished ones rather than forking out for a used one and it have the same problem or die in 3 months.
Looking at around the £350 mark for an alternator but the noise has stopped so fingers crossed.
The bolster came up well but I'm still going to get it sorted properly as this was only ever a quick fix to take the bad look off it.
Looks like I can get a refund on the pulley and I didn't need handbrake shoes so the ones I bought can go back too.
Need to touch the calipers up too but that's no biggie.
Getting there!

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
cool, sounds like you're trying to get the essentials done before the nasty weather fully rears it's head

have you tried GSF carparts or Eurocarparts for the alternator?

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
ECP were 500 or 575 depending on which model I need. There's 2 listed for my car and the airbox needs to come off to check the part no.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Great job on the bolster - exactly were mine has worn! I need to stop buying bits and start sorting out my car instead! :grinning:

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Managed to get a full set of Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres (800 miles old) for £290. They're 225/40 and 235/40 so should be perfect. Will get them on in the spring as I'm running the winters now.
Seems the new belt has sorted the noise from the alternator which was a nice cheap fix (for a change).
Goodridge remade the braided hoses for me with revised female connections and rubber grommits. The hoses are now a perfect fit and the customer service from Goodridge has been exceptional. Pic of new hoses

883c2959.jpg

When I picked the car up after the headlamp level sensor was replaced there wasn't time to have the headlamp level set so I asked the garage to do it when they were re-fitting the new brake hoses. Unfortunately the lights wouldn't level so would fail the MOT - not good! Spent ages trying to find used ones from breakers and eBay but the particular lights fitted to my car were only fitted between 09-2005 and 02-2006 so like hens teeth! Bit the bullet and ordered new ones from Cotswold BMW who were £450 cheaper than what Bavarian quoted me! Got them fitted today. Not cheap and money I could have done without spending but with the new MOT checks coming in and the dark nights they needed sorting.
I'll get the drivers bolster sorted professionally after Xmas too as the Scuffmaster treatment was only ever a temporary solution.
Plans are, refurb wheels in shadow chrome like Woodcutter's bread van

bfb2f03d.jpg

Paint the front end and get Pete @ PMG to sort the stone chips and correct the paint.
Maybe, if I get a few quid together in the new year, a set of BMW Performance brakes, purely for bling factor.
After owning this for a while I can honestly say these cars are very underrated. Cracking wee car, quick and great handling even with winter rubber on. Looking forward to the spring and seeing how it drives with the Goodyears fitted.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Making good progress mate - nice to see a pic of my old breadvan, many happy memories of that yoke. (y)

Do you miss having a car with a slippy diff?

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Making good progress mate - nice to see a pic of my old breadvan, many happy memories of that yoke. (y)

Do you miss having a car with a slippy diff?

Cheers buddy. Love that breadvan. Did NuLook do the wheels?
I do miss the diff but I don't miss the clunks and bangs from the M3 drivetrain

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Yeah Nu Luk did them, brilliant job too.

It's weird driving a car with no slippy diff after being used to one for so long, it's hard to know how the car will react on the limit!

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Birds do a Quaiffe diff for the 130i but it's about 1200 fitted - I think I can live without one!

I'd love a quaife or wavetrac diff too - it's a bit too jerky with the dtc only, and no proper control. Think I have the welded crown-wheel version, so that'd been even more expense.

I keep hoping a nearly new one will come up on eBay or e90post on the cheap!

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
I can't afford a diff! The £900 I spent on the new xenons would have gone a long way towards sorting the paint or would have paid for a set of BMW Performance front brakes.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
howcome they wouldnt level mate? seems like a load of crap tbf.

The manual adjusters you put an Allen key in to lift the beam to the correct level were slipping on both lights as they're only plastic. Can't buy them as individual bits either. I might have been able to buy a set of lights from a breakers and try stripping both sets and cobbling together one good set but I don't have the time or a garage to do it in. I also need the car for commuting as I've a disc encroaching on a nerve in my back so I'm off the bike at the minute.
One of the fixing brackets on the near side was snapped and on the off side the socket for the angel eye bulb was rounded off so the bulb needed stuck in with silicone!
There were loads of facelift lights available new for £300 each but they take a different (H8) bulb for the angel eyes and I wasn't sure my existing wiring was compatible and if my ballast pack would fit. Spent far to much time trying to find out and decided it wasn't worth the risk or the hassle.
Xenons on a 1er are pretty rare so they don't come up for sale that often and when they do they're usually facelift.
Bavarian quoted me £575 + VAT each for them and that's headlamp shell only, no ballast, xenon bulb, indicator bulb or H7 bulb! Cotswald BMW were £888 including VAT & delivery for both. From now on they'll get all my business.

pablo

RMS Moderator
ah no worries mate thought it was a simple adjustment issue. Ive had my E46 lights apart heaps of times and they are really basic inside.

as for cotswold they are great indeed, cracking prices even inc postage.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Cotswald are a sponsor over on www.bmwbaby.net so they give a bit of discount too. Excellent service from Kev.
Don't know if the E87 headlamps come apart as easy as the E46 ones as I think they're sealed like the facelift E46 coupe ones.

Here's the inside, looks futery enough to work at

8e91a5c6.jpg

Here's where I had to silicone the bulb in

3dcf938d.jpg

Always annoyed me as it was a botch so would have eventually replaced that side anyway.
Was going to put the old ones on eBay for spares or parts but I might just keep them for parts myself.

MarkyMck

RMS Regular
Drives
F56&R53 JCW
great work! Cant believe the headlights were wrecked too, seems the owner before was a bit heavy handed.

I need to get the bolster on the MINI done as its worn away, but its pacific blue leather so may be a nightmare to get a match!

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
great work! Cant believe the headlights were wrecked too, seems the owner before was a bit heavy handed.

I need to get the bolster on the MINI done as its worn away, but its pacific blue leather so may be a nightmare to get a match!

He made a right mess of the headlights. Not sure how it got through the MOT with the lights the way they were.

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Nice little car these, i actually liked the carbon bits, you should have give the carbon roundels to me if you were throwing them out as im currently looking a set for my E90

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Nice little car these, i actually liked the carbon bits, you should have give the carbon roundels to me if you were throwing them out as im currently looking a set for my E90

Badges weren't worth keeping, they were all scratched and dull

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.