BMW iX3 M Sport Pro

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I never thought I’d see the day that I would buy an EV, but of course times change and here we are.

With our first kid due early April, we needed a family friendly car. We had initially decided on a W205 C-Class Estate, but the draw of an EV soon steered us away from that.

We went to an event at Mussenden Temple early November, and JKC had an iX3 Premier Edition that they used to ferry us from the car park to the temple, and that planted the seed.

So we borrowed the JKC demo for a weekend and both loved it, managed to get a deal sorted and placed our order, and collected the car from JKC last weekend.

Winter weather certainly hurts the range, and we are only getting 2.6kw/h which is a bit disappointing, but hopefully that will improve with a few miles.

CF913C4E-7CD9-425E-8957-6C92E17E12AD.jpeg
B86B3B54-D4D9-4454-9B9F-E99FD00B6E70.jpeg
E22F6A9A-103C-4247-B156-6683619E3323.jpeg
CE360F66-88FE-4C06-B90B-61B5DAA56160.jpeg
CDAB5D14-E75E-4301-9750-66949BA86DDA.jpeg

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Class looking, and nice colour combo. Good to have a nice matching plate for the 911 as well :grinning:

The range being in kw/h confuses me lol, what miles does it do to a full charge at the minute?

colin84

RMS Regular
Not sure about the wheels, but it actually looks great, cracking colour to. Looks like it's missing massive quad pipes from the rear bumper though.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Class looking, and nice colour combo. Good to have a nice matching plate for the 911 as well :grinning:

The range being in kw/h confuses me lol, what miles does it do to a full charge at the minute?
It's doing circa 200 miles to a charge, maybe even a little less.

Lovely job. Keeping the green plates on?
Hadn't thought about that Craig. I quite like them.

Top drawer Graeme! Lovely colour.
Thanks Barry.

Looks good! I have never seen a 997 frown before... lol
Poor 997 hasn't moved much recently!

Not sure about the wheels, but it actually looks great, cracking colour to. Looks like it's missing massive quad pipes from the rear bumper though.
Wheels are defo a bit marmite. I'm warming to them though.
Looks well
Thanks.
Very smart! How many miles is that working out per charge then?

Any interior photos?

Currently doing about 200 miles to a charge, possibly a little less. No interior shots but I'll take some for you later. It's Oyster leather.

56oval

RMS Regular

Hadn't thought about that Craig. I quite like them.

Thanks Barry.

Poor 997 hasn't moved much recently!

Wheels are defo a bit marmite. I'm warming to them though.

Thanks.

Currently doing about 200 miles to a charge, possibly a little less. No interior shots but I'll take some for you later. It's Oyster leather.
Finally someone who has reported real world range. I keep asking yer man Dave Humphreys who seems to be test driving a new ev every week and not once has he come back with the figures. Maybe the manufacturers ban him from reporting it but its my single biggest interest when looking at them.

At a paltry sub 200 miles range there is no way in hell i'll be even tempted by ev yet. Once we see real world 350 + range as a regular on most cars. Only then would i think about it.

Thanks for sharing 👍

davyk31

RMS Regular
Finally someone who has reported real world range. I keep asking yer man Dave Humphreys who seems to be test driving a new ev every week and not once has he come back with the figures. Maybe the manufacturers ban him from reporting it but its my single biggest interest when looking at them.

At a paltry sub 200 miles range there is no way in hell i'll be even tempted by ev yet. Once we see real world 350 + range as a regular on most cars. Only then would i think about it.

Thanks for sharing 👍

But how many days would you be needing a 350 mile range. With a home charger you just plug it in when you need it, be that every night if you do big miles or want to start every day on a full charge.

The cold weather does hit range a bit but massively. If its doing 200 at present I would say in warmer weather it’s no more than 220 miles per charge.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter

Thanks for sharing 👍

The car only does approx 25 miles on an average week day, so the range is more than adequate for our needs. Even at the weekend we would rarely do more than 150 miles in a day, so we are more than inside the range.

Range in warmer weather should be more like 230/240.
Lovely spec Graeme, easy on the eye for sure.

Cheers Baz!
But how many days would you be needing a 350 mile range. With a home charger you just plug it in when you need it, be that every night if you do big miles or want to start every day on a full charge.

Not too often we will ever need that sort of range, but one planned stop at a fast charger would sort that issue, or we would just take another vehicle if we didn’t have time to stop to charge.

Smoothie

RMS Regular
Drives
F54 Clubman

Exactly this. You’ll find most people treat it like a mobile phone and put it on the charger at night whether it needs it or not.

Also the majority of customer owned I see in work are set to only charge to 80%? Is that the default?

Nice choice @Woodcutter. Hopefully serves your needs well.

56oval

RMS Regular
The car only does approx 25 miles on an average week day, so the range is more than adequate for our needs. Even at the weekend we would rarely do more than 150 miles in a day, so we are more than inside the range.

Range in warmer weather should be more like 230/240.

Cheers Baz!

Not too often we will ever need that sort of range, but one planned stop at a fast charger would sort that issue, or we would just take another vehicle if we didn’t have time to stop to charge.
All fair and valid points, however i go over to visit my mum in essex quite a bit and also do a lot of long journeys across the country. I saw a decent review by stavros in the south and he found the charging network both too unreliable and nowhere near enough availablity, whilst we see demand increasing rapidly. He ended up getting rid of his ev for an ice car.

Its not a snub at anyone with an ev, fair play to you for being the guinea pigs. Im just nowhere near ready for it yet.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Exactly this. You’ll find most people treat it like a mobile phone and put it on the charger at night whether it needs it or not.

Also the majority of customer owned I see in work are set to only charge to 80%? Is that the default?

Nice choice @Woodcutter. Hopefully serves your needs well.

Thanks @Smoothie , we have it set to 80% for day to day driving. If we know we have a long trip we will change it to 100% the night before. Takes as long to get from 80 to 100 as it does to get from circa 0 to 80 apparently.
All fair and valid points, however i go over to visit my mum in essex quite a bit and also do a lot of long journeys across the country. I saw a decent review by stavros in the south and he found the charging network both too unreliable and nowhere near enough availablity, whilst we see demand increasing rapidly. He ended up getting rid of his ev for an ice car.

Its not a snub at anyone with an ev, fair play to you for being the guinea pigs. Im just nowhere near ready for it yet.

Totally get you mate, they’re certainly not suitable for everyone. If we did a load of miles we most likely wouldn’t have gone EV.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Looks great @Woodcutter and I'll be up to compare notes in the i4 M50! BMW have been at the EV game for a while so no doubt its a great (and familiar in a good way) package.

Modmedia

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla M3P
Love it! Would love to be able to get one of these for Mrs Modmedia so we can totally convert to electric but it’ll be a few years yet.

Good to see more EVs from members on here. You’ll always have the doubters and ‘what if’ range anxiety crew… but I have been in an EV in some shape or another for a few years and never had a problem yet!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
We are a little over 1100 miles in now and really loving it. It’s doing 2.6m/kwh and we have spent approx £42 on home charging to date, with a few free charges too.

Cleaning the driver seat is a weekly chore with the Oyster leather; dye transfer is horrendous! 😂
12AFE72C-B0D9-4970-A465-9F226FEAD5B6.jpeg

694F8928-EB8C-424A-AEE2-24D7A3CD8E74.jpeg

FEB7A047-BED2-46EA-99A8-5DC4C32C3DB0.jpeg

davyk31

RMS Regular
Looks great. Maybe some kind of coating on the seats would help. I’m always tempted by lighter leather but haven’t ever done it for fear of it getting grubby.