Bought some dynamat today...am i doin it rite? :)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

nicolec2

RMS Regular
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
Since sub went in last week the only thing thats reduced the vibration in the boot lid has been an old pair of shorts :oops: wedged between the boot and the car along the seal as i figured out that when i pushed down on it, the vibration was reduced and by shoving the shorts in it made the boot close tighter. I could actually see the bootlid vibrating like mad! Bought a roll of dynamat today for it and was just wondering how the best way is to go about finding the source of the vibration and using the dynamat most effectively to reduce it? The roll is big enough to cover the boot lid should i just put it all over there? Is there anything else i can buy to make the boot seal any better? Gonna give it a go on tuesday on my day off so any replies much appreciated!!

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 R
cancel that

id be starting with these bits in yellow

p0505081006pb6.jpg

nicolec2

RMS Regular
OP
nicolec2
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
good job thats where i was thinkin of puttin it anyway! so what about the seal around the boot if that dynamat doesnt help is there anything else i can buy?

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
If you wrap electrical tape round the latch on the boot it'll pull it tighter closed.

nicolec2

RMS Regular
OP
nicolec2
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
the bit that goes inside the lock bit?

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Yep. It'll need redone every so often as the lock bit will make a mess of the tape after a while.

nicolec2

RMS Regular
OP
nicolec2
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
hmmmm! cool! will give that a go as well then! hopefully all this works....

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 R
make sure you put the dynamat on the flat surfaces of the boot, not the strengthening bars

did you get a roller for the dynamat?? use a hair dryer aswell (y)

nicolec2

RMS Regular
OP
nicolec2
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
no roller in the box anyway? should there be?

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
if you got dynamat extreme and not the **** regular stuff that looks like cannibis resin then you dont really need a roller.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
use some heat from a hair dryer and stick it on - just watch your fingers as you can easily get a paper like cut on the edges of the dynamat

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
**** sake nicole :p

i coulda done you the xtreme for a real good price and its 1000 time handier to put on.

i have rollers in work if you really need to buy one.

as boydie says, use a hairdryer and get loads of heat on it and then it`ll stick, if its not warm enough it`ll just keep falling off.

who in the name of god in this day and age still sells regular dynamat!! i havent traded in regular in about 5 years!

nicolec2

RMS Regular
OP
nicolec2
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
lol halfords!! looks like i'll be takin it back then!! mite do for the boot floor and ill get xtreme for bootlid

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
tut tut for going to halfrauds :p

seriously. extreme is far better and goes on in a tenth of the time

nicolec2

RMS Regular
OP
nicolec2
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
halfords was the only place open last nite when i took a notion to do it!! but then gladiators was on tv and i decided to forget about it until tuesday!!

nicolec2

RMS Regular
OP
nicolec2
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
is this right before i do any more? its hard to do on your own lol dont wanna go any further if its wrong. tried just applyin it to the smooth bits and tucked it in round the edges...

i put some round the lock also which has made the boot close tighter...just two layers of scrap strips on each side so think i'll do it neater as well

p1305081246ma7.jpg

nicolec2

RMS Regular
OP
nicolec2
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
but if i go out further its raised up more i just put it on the flat bits

nicolec2

RMS Regular
OP
nicolec2
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
really?! woohoo! one half of boot done just another 2 bits but they'll do til tomorrow. hope it does some good. it'd be ok to put some extreme over the top of that again at some stage then? Its fiddly stuff but i had fun!

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
oh aye of course nicole, we`ve had people put 2 and 3 layers of the stuff int heir motors

nicolec2

RMS Regular
OP
nicolec2
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
good good will practise with the crappy stuff then!! if i build it up with so i can put it over the raised bits Chris Mac had outlined would that benefit me?!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.