BP Ultimate shortage in Northern Ireland?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cess

RMS Staff
There are only four fuel terminals in Northern Ireland.

BP - Belfast Harbour

Nu Star - Belfast Harbour

DCC Energy - Belfast Harbour

LCC - Lissahally

The BP terminal supplies BP service stations. This terminal is supplied from Grangemouth in Scotland.

NuStar store petrol and diesel. NuStar also supplied from Grangemouth.

DCC Energy store heating oil in their terminal and not petrol or diesel as far as I'm aware.

The terminal at Lissahally is a joint venture between LCC Oil and Statoil. LCC run the Go! service stations

Would kinda suggest that petrol and diesel in Northern Ireland is likely to be much of a muchness, as it can only come from three terminals. Two of which are supplied from the same refinery.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
There are only four fuel terminals in Northern Ireland.

BP - Belfast Harbour

Nu Star - Belfast Harbour

DCC Energy - Belfast Harbour

LCC - Lissahally

The BP terminal supplies BP service stations. This terminal is supplied from Grangemouth in Scotland.

NuStar store petrol and diesel. NuStar also supplied from Grangemouth.

DCC Energy store heating oil in their terminal and not petrol or diesel as far as I'm aware.

The terminal at Lissahally is a joint venture between LCC Oil and Statoil. LCC run the Go! service stations

Would kinda suggest that petrol and diesel in Northern Ireland is likely to be much of a muchness, as it can only come from three terminals. Two of which are supplied from the same refinery.

Different retailers add or don't add their own additives though such as Texaco with their Techron ( I think that's the name), hence the difference in the fuels

Cess

RMS Staff
Me neither. Would love to know what the real craic is.

According to Government stats, unleaded outsells super 10 to 1. Superunleaded is just over 4% of all diesel and petrol used in NI. I just can't imagine that it would be economically viable to have a whole host of different storage tanks for such a low volume product. Hence my hunch that super unleaded is likely to come from a very limited range of storage tanks and be much the same.

If anything, I'd be plumping for BP, given that they at least have their own, standalone storage terminals. Mind you, goodness knows who else they supply.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
I've noticed variations in quality of diesel from different stations.

We'd usually fill our van at BP or Texaco but called into a station recently that had Nicholl's fuel as it was the only station around and the van was low.

The MPG dropped noticeably on that fill and there were definitely more fumes than usual with an odd, sulphur sort of smell.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I think the additives are added in the tanker rather than the storage tank - so they are the same base product from the same tank but additives are different

PhilGT_2008

RMS Regular
Theres so many threads on this I would love a definitive and final answer from someone who works for BP or something. I would also like to know in reality how much we are really missing out (or not) by not having shell vpower ie 98 Ron or Tesco Momentum 99 which gets great reviews.

johnboy888

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk 6 Golf Gti
I think the additives are added in the tanker rather than the storage tank - so they are the same base product from the same tank but additives are different

additives added to the pipe as it fills the tanker was the way one of the drivers told me. diff brands put more or less in depending on their requirement

Gambit

RMS Regular
Topaz sul is supplied by shell and comes in via Dublin and tankered up into NI which is the reason it's always a few pence dearer than other sul due to transport costs

So it was told a few years back on scoobyireland by someone who worked at NuStar terminal

What's the craic with Topaz then? Is it Shell fuel?

AC

RMS Regular
Grabbed from a quick search...

Distribution terminals in Ireland

Derry – completed in 2006, with a total capacity of 88,000 tonnes, it is a joint venture between LCC Oil and Statoil, from which most of the imported products are sourced. Products from this facility are supplied in to both Northern Ireland and the Republic.

Belfast – three terminals, owned/operated by:-

• BP – a former refinery, which closed in 1981
  • NuStar – a public/independent storage facility with a total capacity of 65,000m3
  • Emo – limited to the storage of middle distillates
Dublin – four terminals which service approximately 50% of the Republic’s oil market requirements and are owned/operated by:-

• Topaz – owns two facilities, the former Shell and Statoil terminals
  • Esso/Valero joint venture
  • Tedcastle

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
If Topaz were selling Shell SUL which is 99 RON they sure as hell would be making a fuss of it. On their own website they mention it's 97+. Just because they bought over most of the Shell stations in Ireland and the terminals in Dublin doesn't mean it's Shell fuel.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
There are still some Shell branded stations down south. Makes no odds as they dont even get SUL down there.

KrisSRT

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTD
Had the fuel delivery this morning and the fuel additives goes in when the fuel is being loaded onto the tanker before it comes on site to fill our tanks. I asked him about tesco and asda fuels and he said they are just the base product ie no additives. Hope that clears it up for some people.

@KyleR thats correct it doesn't mean it's shell fuel not sure what your point is.

VintyGti

RMS Regular
Drives
Edition 30 GTI
I'll ask a mate of mine who works at BP and see if he know's anymore, I'm sure I heard him him saying he can get the bottles of additive that they put into the petrol.

Would be great if we could get Shell V Power but I can't see it ever happening...

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Had the fuel delivery this morning and the fuel additives goes in when the fuel is being loaded onto the tanker before it comes on site to fill our tanks. I asked him about tesco and asda fuels and he said they are just the base product ie no additives. Hope that clears it up for some people.

@KyleR thats correct it doesn't mean it's shell fuel not sure what your point is.

Some people previously have eluded that Topaz have bought Shell and therefore their SUL is the same as V power, which of course it isn't.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
You're getting a bit confused. Topaz buy Shell SUL in bulk and import via Dublin docks which is then road transported into NI.

I would struggle to believe that.

Plus do Shell even offer a basic SUL anywhere ? They dont on the mainland, it's only the usual 95 or VPower. And down south has no SUL anywhere, Shell or otherwise.

Cess

RMS Staff
Yeah I think you are right. From my reading the vast majority of fuel for Northern Ireland and north Leinster emanates from the port of Belfast. Dublin doesn't supply Northern Ireland. Whilst Lissahally supplies the north west corner of Ireland.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I would struggle to believe that.

Plus do Shell even offer a basic SUL anywhere ? They dont on the mainland, it's only the usual 95 or VPower. And down south has no SUL anywhere, Shell or otherwise.

No SUL in the South, that rules out any road trips in my car then :confounded:

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Sucks alright, donegal is as far as I've ventured.

I'm always planning ahead if I'm going any distance seen me filling up when iv already got 3/4s of a tank just incase.

Don't know if I'd map a car solely for super again.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.