Car culture live 2015 Newtownards

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
You'd have thought they would have learnt their leason from the last time this type of event was held at the airfield. It was a cluster also!!

john87

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Was looking forward to this for months but wasnt a patch on last year or the year before in my opinion.

The drag was a joke, fast and furious starts, complaints of iffy times, and as said already half the time you hadn't a clue who won. All it wouldve took was someone to indicate left or right or even send the winner back down first ffs.

Show and shine stuff seemed to just be haphazardly strewn everywhere, didn't seem like half the turnout of last year either. Bogs were shoved miles away from anywhere you'd want to be too.

Worst part was no pa, literally all day everyone was left standing often half an hour or more at a time with no indication of what was going on with nothing to do but listen to dj ballbag, check the ccl facebook for negative comments before they got removed, and watch people in hi vis vests aimlesly dander round.

Never even got seeing the drifting, took them forever to wrap the drag up then they sent boys out with cones who went back, did nothing, then probably half an hour later they decide to go and get more? Layout was no surprise to anyone so surely they'd know how many they needed. They arsed about that long we left before it even started. I see from their facebook that the 'late' drifting only ran to 9 anyway.

Tomorrow looks like it'll be a washout with the weather too.

56oval

RMS Regular
the worst thing about any show is lack of info, p.a is paramount, the amount of negative comments is stacking up, tonights choice info is, "coupes fit in tents" and "ive already seen a 106 on its side" who would never have predicted that!!!!!! They should have stayed at Bishopscourt and did 2 disciplines (drag and drift ) alongside a car show, and did them all brilliantly.

hippyross

RMS Regular
The best bit about it I'll probably be getting lit and dancing like a p***k to xray hahahah

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
The most annoying part was having to wait while the cars drove back down the drag strip until you go your run, instead of directing cars to the slip road on the left and making them wait until the next run had passed, took forever to get a run in.

56oval

RMS Regular
The most annoying part was having to wait while the cars drove back down the drag strip until you go your run, instead of directing cars to the slip road on the left and making them wait until the next run had passed, took forever to get a run in.

At the Ards festival of speed they made you loop round to the right once you did your run, qued them up at the crossroads then let the queue across onto the opposite loop to run to the back of the pairing lanes, it worked well. Whats more disapointing is Ards has a fantastic surface for drag racing, a massively missed oportunity.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Photo of the day for me - A Donegal Rally programme, a CB Radio and a hydraulic handbrake can only mean one thing "Twin Cam Sir" !!!

IMG_4833.JPG

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Made it too late for the drags, so missed that carry on. Regarding the rest, the drifting seemed good but sadly ruined by a couple of things.
1. Its an active airport, they cannot have damage to the runway. Drifting is fine but of course, people ignore the staff and do so anyway. Drifting gets stopped to calm people down and starts up again, same thing happens. The staffs hands are tied and they have to cancel, some burnouts happen and then
2. the twin can owners arrive and starting diffing in the pits, which is a public area. So of course this is more bother.
The camping situation was never going to work, drink and cars in a field? Could have guessed the result...
A secure car park and camping area would have been spot on.
They also had the DJ and bar miles from the camp and it shut at 10...
Looking forward to NI drift tomorrow though, hopefully a good day, heard the weather changed last minute.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Bar was licsened till 01:00 from chatting with the owner of it earlier so he won't be happy.

Dee

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra GSI/Corol
Could list faults all day long with the entire day.looked forward to this for quite some time,had a weekend family ticket and was among the first few cars in today.BIGGEST LET DOWN EVER! Cars everywhere and no one had a clue what was going on....Drag racing was amongst the worst organised thing iv ever seen..... The p.a was non existent..... some complete goon running around chewing the face of himself because of whatever **** he was taking and certainly wasn't drink,looked at him once to which he hurled abuse at me while I was walking with my 5 year old son.Arsehole should have been marched out the gate by the throat.I certainly won't be returning tommorow or in the future

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Just home... Been a loooong day from a 6.30am start after a 2.30am finish last night getting the cars ready.

Layout was absolutely terrible. Not sure if this was due to traders and stands pulling out at the last minute or whatever, or if they just didn't have a notion how little was going to be there.

I reckon the whole thing should have been on 1 side of the airfield. Anyone camping and not using their car for drag racing or "diffing" (I didn't see anything that could be called drifting; it just looked like a wrecking session to us) should have been allocated a pass to hang from their mirror and directed to an overnight car park where no vehicles can move during the day. Any cars camping and competing could have been lined up trackside along the runway. Anyone competing and not camping could have stayed on the tar and been separated into filter lanes the way the racing at Bishopscourt is usually laid out. This would have meant they could arrive and leave at any time they chose and not disrupt the running of the event.

That said, differs can't just arrive at an event and keep the tyre spinning to the confined areas; they'll always push the boat too far and feel the need to burst into a spree of out and out awesomeness and diff where they shouldn't and make themselves look like complete heroes with awesome mad driving skills... Must be the tyre smoke and drink combo or whatever. Yet to see any event that contains diffing with such upstanding citizens driving run smoothly, let alone a family event on such strict and controlled property. It escalated into mayhem with the twin cam and Sierra crew from what I seen, with no regard for the organisers, the runway, the grass, the other attendees etc... They've only ruined it for themselves, and if the event doesn't run again, then they only have themselves to blame.

Topmark

RMS Regular
Couldn't agree more with the comments I've just read through. A few simple things could have made this event so much better.

The drag racing logistics are unforgivable, PA included. Fast and Furious esc starts, not knowing who won and big gaps between races made for a real shabby spectacle. And to echo an earlier comment, show & shine just doubled up as a car park. God help the guys who spent hours prepping a nice motor, only to be shadowed by a rusty transit van parked beside them.

Everything was far too spaced out, had to walk forever to get between places and no bins about at all!

Such a shame. This had great PR behind it and good hype leading up to it. A lot of radio coverage in recent days and a huge amount of money behind the event as a whole. Very dissapointing - hope organisers can learn from this, could have been great.

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
The worst thing about events like this being held with camping is the muppets it attracts. Some bellend has been banging his motor of the limiter for the past while. Hopefully it pops soon it's quarter to 2 have some sense ffs, it is not a nice replacement for trying to count sheep.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
They're getting some abuse on Facebook anyway. Nothing seems to have went right at this stage.

I do feel a bit sorry for Ryan, have heard good things about the previous events and I remember speaking with him personally a few years back when it was all just an idea in his head. Either the universe plotted to ruin the weekend with a series of unfortunate events or he just bit off more than he can chew with this one.

Overnight camping was never going to be a good idea.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
The drifting is ran by ni drift themselves so hopeful of a decently organised event today...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.