Car Insurance increases

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Renewal is due next month with Greenlight, haven't had notice from them yet, but the cheapest I can get via comparison sites is at least 50% more expensive! There goes my insurance being cheaper than my VED...

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Churchill last year for Range Rover was £400 odd, not too bad. Renewal came in at £892 or something, can't remember now, thought it was dear so shopped around. Couldn't get anything below £12/1300, phoned Churchill to take renewal and they said since sending that out can no longer insure Range Rovers.

Tried adding it my existing admiral policy, extra 1400, changed from 3 years NCB on it to 18 year on it and 3 on Yaris and made it increase 😂

FML, it's mental. Be some amount of people just driving with no insurance at all of this keeps up!

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
Added the m135i to my insurance when I got it and it cost me something daft like £20 over the MR2 and thought this is great! Then got my renewal in and Admiral were looking £1100/£1200 for it and the Volvo. Couldn’t get a quote under £1500 online for the m135i alone, so did the decent thing and told them Admiral I’d been quoted less elsewhere and they dropped it to £900ish which was nice.

home insurance wanted £450 this year, up from £250. Got better cover for £300.

oh and I got fleeced on my life insurance because the **** who set it up put my date of birth in wrong and I didn’t read the paperwork until a couple of months in. When I contacted them to change it, it made me 10years older than they originally thought and I got rinsed!

Last edited:

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
That reminds me I saw a young looking girl on r plates in an m135i this morning. Wasn’t even a 116d rep it was a real one I’d hate to see her premium 🤣

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
What’s your consensus on protected no claims? Surely redundant because if you have a claim (fault or non fault) declared at renewal that’s ballsing things up regardless of any NCB?
Anyone any experience?

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
That reminds me I saw a young looking girl on r plates in an m135i this morning. Wasn’t even a 116d rep it was a real one I’d hate to see her premium 🤣

bet you didn’t see me driving mine, cause I can’t afford to fuel it! I bowed out on the 6th October when I filled it to the throat with super for the 3rd time this month.:joy:

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
had protected bonus for years then stopped it, then had a slight bump. cost me half my NCB and an extra £900 as well.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
bet you didn’t see me driving mine, cause I can’t afford to fuel it! I bowed out on the 6th October when I filled it to the throat with super for the 3rd time this month.:joy:
She must be minted because she was sitting in it idling 🤣

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
What’s your consensus on protected no claims? Surely redundant because if you have a claim (fault or non fault) declared at renewal that’s ballsing things up regardless of any NCB?
Anyone any experience?

Still better to have the NCB if you have a claim to declare too.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I always protect NCB personally.

Could see alot of people going thrid party fire/theft.

Re the driving with no insurance it's 6 points and £200 but then you need insurance in place in order to get the car back when it's seized by recovery. Plus most recovery yards have a release fee and storage fees

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Never protected, never claimed so presumably quids in. Haven't really any idea what the price difference would be for an at fault claim with protected NCB vs not protected tbh. Anyone know?

RevT

RMS Regular
I remember reading somewhere that saying the car is in the garage overnight can increase the premium than if its on the drive. Based on people driving into walls and smashing doors.

Mines £700 odd, group 50 molotov, only 2 years NCD.

I'm 42 though.

I believe it’s for fire risk mainly. That’s what two companies told me anyway.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Always protected my NCD. Range Rover crash meant I had a claim against my name, albeit non fault. Has affected my premium ever since.
What's the point in even protecting them? Also what's the point in fault/non fault. Robbing c-units the lot of them.

RevT

RMS Regular
2460 there for first year taxi insurance, apperantly that's absolutely brilliant and alot of lads are paying 4k plus 😮

One of my friends started it last year, was around 3K for their first year for a Skoda and a 7 seater bus too. Renewed this year on the Skoda and 9 seater bus this time, over 4K.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Don’t know if this is standard practice so won’t name the company, but a friend had his Tiguan touched on the back bumper last year in the snow when a car in a car park slid into it at 5mph. Wee chrome trim broken and the bumper scuffed. That was it.
The body shop he brought it to put a whole new crash bar, bumper and trims on it coming in on the guts of £1500, all genuine VW. Believe it was a ‘Crash’ approved body shop as well. One trim and a blow in was all that was needed. Don’t know if it was ‘Crash’ themselves or the bodyshop taking the hand.

What happens if the Subaru is touched and I take that mentality I don’t want it back unless it is factory standard? Will they import a JDM rear bumper for me? Write the car off with new OEM parts being unobtainable in this country? Whole thing is a racket.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Personally never seen the point protecting no claims as they make almost no difference to the price and sometimes even increase it.

The prices are wild but the most annoying bit is the guessing game you play to get a better price. Nothing seems to have a consistent positive impact, its always changing.

Had increasing mileage help, 3 people rather than 4 etc then the next year doing the opposite helps.

Take’s nothing to write cars off these days as well, not one of ours would survive any even semi bad damage.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Don’t know if this is standard practice so won’t name the company, but a friend had his Tiguan touched on the back bumper last year in the snow when a car in a car park slid into it at 5mph. Wee chrome trim broken and the bumper scuffed. That was it.
The body shop he brought it to put a whole new crash bar, bumper and trims on it coming in on the guts of £1500, all genuine VW. Believe it was a ‘Crash’ approved body shop as well. One trim and a blow in was all that was needed. Don’t know if it was ‘Crash’ themselves or the bodyshop taking the hand.
My mum was unfortunate to do very similar. Mark on the car in front I'm convinced was just the salt being moved by her bumper.

Her insurance got nailed with courtesy car for three weeks, new bumper, paint and an injury claim as the p***k was sat in the car. She slid into his car at less than 5mph.

Scumbags like this are what puts our premiums up.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Another big part of it is the likes of Crash giving you the courtesy car and then it's their own company owns the courtesy car so they're getting paid for it (or so I heard when I had mine anyways)

Range rover written off, still had farm work to do, cattle to be towed etc and also needed a 4x4 jeep type thing due to snow and country living until I bought a replacement.
Supplied me with a rancid 2007 Shogun that ended up stuck in the field, was horrendous to drive and couldn't wait to get back out of it.

Had it for 2 weeks, and grand total of £16.5k rental charge! I literally could've bought it for about £4k I reckon. Mental like.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Friend used to deliver the cars out to people for one of the claim’s companies and the prices they charged were absolutely mental as said, they paid the cars off on one decent length job.

RWL

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Reading this thread is rather depressing……I have 8 policies with Admiral on multicover which is set to expire in March 2024. Can’t wait 😅

Last edited:

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Friend used to deliver the cars out to people for one of the claim’s companies and the prices they charged were absolutely mental as said, they WE paid the cars off on one decent length job.

Fixed!

It's disgusting that we're all paying for the ever increasing claim costs, even if you've never made a single claim in your lifetime. Hammer the sheet out of those responsible! Easier just to have us all pay though.

I'd love to know what impact these accident management companies are having on premiums. The amount of their cars I see around Belfast is crazy.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
People on here moaning about renewing their multicar policies for their work car, weekend car, sports car, jeep etc. :joy: :joy: :joy:

If it annoys you that much then sell them all

Its the people who have 1 or 2 cars that are essential for getting to work and back that now will be put under more financial pressure that i really worry about. A lot of people are already struggling, this just adds another level to it.

Most of us on here should count our blessings for what we have.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
People on here moaning about renewing their multicar policies for their work car, weekend car, sports car, jeep etc. :joy: :joy: :joy:

If it annoys you that much then sell them all

Its the people who have 1 or 2 cars that are essential for getting to work and back that now will be put under more financial pressure that i really worry about. A lot of people are already struggling, this just adds another level to it.

Most of us on here should count our blessings for what we have.

Yes, everyone should be greatful but they shouldn't be held over a barrel for wanting to enjoy things they've worked hard for without being absolutely ripped off!