CarPlay in BMW F80 (2016)

Sparky160

RMS Member
Is it possible for CarPlay to be retrofitted to a 2016 F80 BMW? (I know from 2017 it was an option to activate)

Would be good to keep existing screen etc. and the factory look, but was thinking perhaps it could be upgraded or a module installed to enable it to be compatible with Apple CarPlay?

Has anyone any experience of this or recommend a good company to speak too regarding the possibility of this?

Thanks in advance!

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
@AlpineF30 could probably point you in the right direction.

Absolutely possible.

What iDrive do you have 4 or 5? 5 came out mid 2016.

You have a few options available to you depending on your iDrive and the method you wish to use.

Option 1:

Install an MMI box with carplay installed behind the head unit. It is selected by holding the menu button for 3 seconds on the iDrive controller and brings up the MMI box interface allowing carplay to be selected.

Option 2:

Go the OEM route
Install a BMW WiFi antenna in the car to pick up the carplay signal if you dont have one installed - Some do some don't depends when car was built and its specs from factory.
Flash the NBT headunit if on iDrive 4 to iDrive 5/6 then activate carplay
If on iDrive 5 - Get carplay activated.

There is a guy on facebook called BMW coding NI. Have had a few friends use him all came back with create feedback he does all the installing and coding on site.

Sparky160

RMS Member
OP
Sparky160
Absolutely possible.

What iDrive do you have 4 or 5? 5 came out mid 2016.

You have a few options available to you depending on your iDrive and the method you wish to use.

Option 1:

Install an MMI box with carplay installed behind the head unit. It is selected by holding the menu button for 3 seconds on the iDrive controller and brings up the MMI box interface allowing carplay to be selected.

Option 2:

Go the OEM route
Install a BMW WiFi antenna in the car to pick up the carplay signal if you dont have one installed - Some do some don't depends when car was built and its specs from factory.
Flash the NBT headunit if on iDrive 4 to iDrive 5/6 then activate carplay
If on iDrive 5 - Get carplay activated.

There is a guy on facebook called BMW coding NI. Have had a few friends use him all came back with create feedback he does all the installing and coding on site.

Brilliant, just looked them up on Facebook and looks to be exactly what I'm after.

Thanks so much for the info - much appreciated!

neil-c

RMS Regular
Any photos @pablo? I haven't seen a build thread for your F80.

My F80 is 2014 and although it has reversing camera, front bumper cameras and DAB, I really miss Android Auto.

Is the droiduk screen size similar? After a veey quick Google, some people seem to be making dashboard modifications to fit a bigger screen?

Last edited:

pablo

RMS Moderator
Was plug and play for me mate. Mine came with the 8” screen and this is 10” iirc.

82EFC143-AE27-4112-A9BC-E941C7A5A0AE.jpeg
B8C79E52-11D1-414B-944B-4A67A3933974.jpeg

pablo

RMS Moderator
It’s not “ideal” though. It does get a bit awkward sometimes trying to be a screen for the normal menus and an android unit too

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
It’s not “ideal” though. It does get a bit awkward sometimes trying to be a screen for the normal menus and an android unit too

In what ways @pablo ?

Are both Android Auto and Apple Carplay wireless.
Are you apple or android?

pablo

RMS Moderator
I’m using CarPlay. Just a few minor niggles:

Sometimes it won’t connect and gets stuck trying
The CarPlay phone doesn’t work unless I change the phone audio to bmw connection as opposed to CarPlay one
HUD no longer works for track/nav etc
Going back to bmw menus stops the CarPlay music

All fairly minor but annoying nonetheless. Greatly outweighed by having CarPlay tho!!

Sparky160

RMS Member
OP
Sparky160
Just got the M3 iDrive flashed from iDrive 4 to 6 by BMW Coding as recommended by @AlpineF30.

Igoris is a sound fella who knows what he's at. Painless and relatively inexpensive upgrade (£180) and wireless CarPlay works perfectly - cannot recommended highly enough and will most likely be back again.

I would give him a shout @neil-c to see if he can help you out.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Just got the M3 iDrive flashed from iDrive 4 to 6 by BMW Coding as recommended by @AlpineF30.

Igoris is a sound fella who knows what he's at. Painless and relatively inexpensive upgrade (£180) and wireless CarPlay works perfectly - cannot recommended highly enough and will most likely be back again.

I would give him a shout @neil-c to see if he can help you out.

Is CarPlay widescreen on ID6?

No hardware needed for the upgrade? Seems good value! Need to confirm what I have in the X5.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Had a bit of a Google after this @AlpineF30 and am I right in thinking the idrive 4 changed hardware around July 15, and only the later type can be flashed to idrive 6? The idrive 4 units before this can’t? Mine is April 15.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Had a bit of a Google after this @AlpineF30 and am I right in thinking the idrive 4 changed hardware around July 15, and only the later type can be flashed to idrive 6? The idrive 4 units before this can’t? Mine is April 15.

That is correct. NBT(Next big thing) head units were replaced by the NBT Evo headunits. No difference in appearance outwards but more RAM etc within the unit itself.

The iDrive 4 in the NBT unit can be flashed to iDrive 6 but due to smaller capacity of the RAM installed it is not recommended and random reboots etc have been experienced by those that have done it.

The majority of non EVO NBT owners elect to install an MMI box behind the headunit to achieve carplay. From what I have seen it works well.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Ok, back to the drawing board! I don’t think I’ve seen an aftermarket kit that does full screen CarPlay, but will have another look.

What sort of cost is involved in upgrading to idrive 6 hardware? Or is it just not worth it?

Edit- had a look at both aftermarket and idrive 6 upgrade. Couldn’t be assed with either I don’t think!

Last edited:

pablo

RMS Moderator
Droid uk. Full screen CarPlay
There is another one as well I can’t recall the name of

They are standalone android units though so see above for “quirks” that come with that

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Have sent Droid UK a message with a couple of queries. They do a CarPlay MMI box (not just the screen units) and it’s not bad value at £205.

Keen to know how you actually access the CarPlay then toggle between that and the likes of DAB. Some boxes also seem to not be compatible with track changing on the steering wheel, which would be annoying.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Apparently flashing the id4 to have carplay as above has rebooting issues. But afaik its only when using the oem bmw nav the rebooting sometimes occurs.
Apparently carplay works grand 🤷‍♂️

Kproctor22

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M240i
Have sent Droid UK a message with a couple of queries. They do a CarPlay MMI box (not just the screen units) and it’s not bad value at £205.

Keen to know how you actually access the CarPlay then toggle between that and the likes of DAB. Some boxes also seem to not be compatible with track changing on the steering wheel, which would be annoying.
I’ve a carplay box from Bavarian Automotive in my 2016 Mini JCW. It’s by no means perfect but for the cost I’m very happy with it. Sometimes requires re-pairing the Bluetooth to get it to work and the odd time id get a completely blank screen but just turn the car off and on and it’s grand.
Toggle between the mini system and carplay by holding the menu button for 3 seconds. So still have access to Idrive if the box plays up but 90% of the time it’s great. Steering wheel buttons all work for me… I think I’ve ID5 but not 100% on that.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Bumping this up again. @Kproctor22 did you need to press the menu button for 3 seconds every time you start the car, or does it remain in MMI/CarPlay mode until you want to go out of it? Not sure I could be arsed doing it every time, but if it stays on by default then I wouldn’t mind having to do it for the odd time I wanted to go out and check vehicle settings etc.

Have also sent BMW Coding NI a message about flashing my idrive.

Kproctor22

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M240i
@Lyons nope. It automatically goes to the CarPlay screen. Just takes a few seconds for it to boot up. Then if you want to go out of it you can hold for 3 seconds and you’re back in the standard IDrive.

I did look at coding mine but it was only going to give me half screen so decided against it… probably just depends which system it’s running.