Changing from english reg to n.i reg?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
My bike is on an english plate and my da said something earlier about you only have a limited time before you have to change to an n.i number?

First i heard of it.

Wouldnt mind an n.i number though if its free to change over? How would i do it?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Go to tax office, when I had the MR2 (which was on an english reg) it was free to change when i was registering the vehicle in my name but I opted to keep the original number on the car instead. It was free to do it then, not sure about if the bike is already registered in your name though

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
nah just walk into the tax office and ask to re-reg. I had to do it on my astra and now its WEZ.

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
Aye, my Vectra was on it's original english plate for 6 months until the tax ran out, got it reregistered when I taxed it (XKZ it got).

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
theres a site that tells you the current prefix's being issued in certain areas eg belfast, londonderry etc.

Itll just give you a heads up on the prefix not the exact reg numbers tho!

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
theres a site that tells you the current prefix's being issued in certain areas eg belfast, londonderry etc.

Itll just give you a heads up on the prefix not the exact reg numbers tho!

I beleive that is not longer valid, it was an additional security check put in place from the 60's over here during the early troubles that many people didnt know about for a while to give the police a additional peace of info about an approaching motor. Im nearly sure the policy changed in 1999 or 2000 after the good friday agreement.(y)

Be interesting if its still on going however.

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
I beleive that is not longer valid, it was an additional security check put in place from the 60's over here during the early troubles that many people didnt know about for a while to give the police a additional peace of info about an approaching motor. Im nearly sure the policy changed in 1999 or 2000 after the good friday agreement.(y)

Be interesting if its still on going however.

This process is still in place, my Golf is currently Eng registered and I enquired about what's involved in changing to a NI reg a few weeks ago by contacting the Coleraine office.

They stated you need to bring your vehicle docs into your closet tax office and that each tax office in NI will provide you with a certain NI reg format that is unique to their location

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
Yeah, it's not difficult. If it's on an English format reg, but is already "imported" to N. Ireland (IE you have a N. Ireland V5C), all you have to do is go to any of the DVA counters (Gasworks in Belfast if you want a Belfast number, County Hall in Ballymena for Antrim number, etc, etc). You can post it to Coleraine as well, and you'll get a Coleraine number.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Been covered a few times before, but first thing is: It will only be free to change if its your only reg'ing the bike here for the first time and they ask you if you want to keep the GB reg or want an N.I one.

If the bike is already registered over here, then you have to pay £28 (i think thats the current amount?) for a new reg & log book and then obviously paying to get plates made up :grinning:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
New NI reg numbers on old vehicles look silly IMO.

I just kept the existing plate on the Jeep when asked the other day there. A 1994 Jeep with a WEZ **** reg on it would look worse than just having an old English reg on it.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
its not an old vehicle plus the four on top and three on the bottom looks funny on bikes imo

Been covered a few times before, but first thing is: It will only be free to change if its your only reg'ing the bike here for the first time and they ask you if you want to keep the GB reg or want an N.I one.

If the bike is already registered over here, then you have to pay £28 (i think thats the current amount?) for a new reg & log book and then obviously paying to get plates made up :grinning:

so even if i wait til im taxing it again it will still cost an extra 28 quid?

bummer i probly wont do it then

m

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
Are bikes different to cars then? Cost me nothing to change the Vectra's number. Needed taxed, went to County Hall, got the new reg, certificate for plates, tax disc for the new reg, week later the new V5C came through. Just cost the usual price for the new tax disc and £20 for a set of plates.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
dont know? i changed a bike from english to n.i reg before and it was free but it had just been brought in from england and i had the wee import slip which i gave in to get a new log book and it got a new number for free.

however the bike i have now i already have the v5 and its registered to me and all but it still has an english reg

marcusplowman

RMS Regular
Drives
Yes
You can only change an English reg to an NI reg at its first time of registration in NI! If its already registered in NI with the English reg you cant change it...unless you transfer an existing or bought NI reg onto it :laughing:

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
You can only change an English reg to an NI reg at its first time of registration in NI! If its already registered in NI with the English reg you cant change it...unless you transfer an existing or bought NI reg onto it :laughing:

You're wrong Marcus. It's free at any time, and you can do it at any time, as per my previous posts. I don't see why this discussion is still going on to be honest.

k20_chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything Boring
Yeah can still be changed over @leek9, not overly difficult I don't think.
Might break you a bit having to pay the tiny fee though lol

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
It's easy to sort. Write a polite note telling them that you want your English reg changed to your local N.I. Reg and send it off with the V5 to Swansea. They will have it back to you in roughly a week and there is no charge.

They have a bit of a backlog at the minute, have one away now and they are telling me it will be 4 weeks.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
There's no need to any more though, you can just keep the english reg and be done.

Unless you particularly want an NI plate.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.