Charge for detailing? You MUST pay to post

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
I rated this thread 5 stars. The highlight so far being Maxwell telling Cooper that RMS needs to be a limited company! ROFL

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Delete the car care section and replace with a banter only section.

On a more serious note, what about:

New threads in this section aren't posted online until first moderated. I'm sure this forum has that function and should be fairly easily managed by the mods. Or just whip out the swizzle stick...

smyth

RMS Regular
Drives
172 cup
Alot of money changes hands and its because of contact through this site. I dont really have a strong view on it either way, but if it was one of us members running the site and paying the costs and people were making money of one of our backs, I would imagine we wouldnt exactly see it as fair.

p 5ary

RMS Regular
my memory must be going as I dont recall mentioning them at all unless in response to someone else (and even then I cant recall the last time).

maybe you could refresh my memory with some quotes?

must be an age thing

It starts from a miserly £20 a month and helps keeps the doors o this place open.

paying a small contribution to keep the wheels turning here.

Pablo look above, by “you” I mean RMS as you are a mod, look and reread my post nr 82 on this thread, if you removed the stick that you have stuck up your arse and large ****ing chip on your shoulder i think you will find i was supporting you and admin!

On a sidenote, there is a lot of focus on the monetary costs of running RMS and as Pablo already said, this is really no-one's business but Cooper's. IMO there's too much focus on the ££ cost and people are conveniently ignoring the huge amount of man hours that the admin, and specifically Cooper, put in.

this is why i agree with charging, i only asked on the off chance it was something all the forum members could help with to remove the problem, didnt expect the defensive reaction

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
HOLY FECK!!!

I seen Coopers post last night and no one had replyied and ive just read all that...

Cooper my £20 is in the post.

And all joking aside I need someone to detail the M3 for me.
Who wants it:p

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Get the pics up Chris! glad to hear you got it (y)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Holy mackrel, only just stumbled upon this thread.

Interesting points from both sides of the camp.

I can totally see Coopers point in that if people are showing their work and thus getting more business from the threads, then that isnt fair on those that pay trader's fee's. The bottom line is that even if you've only posted 5 cars that you've detailed, you're going to be considered by someone looking their car detailed as you're price will probably be cheaper than a major player in the detailing game. Subsequently you've stolen business from someone thats paid to get more business.

However, where do you draw the line? The only fair option in my opinion is to delete all detail threads, but at the same time thats totally unneccessary.

This topic can apply to lots of other sorts of busniess too though. Theres folk on here that buy and sell cars regularly and are using RMS to advertise them. Yes they're not an official garage, but why should they be able to advertise for free yet a detailer for example cant?

Its a total grey area and i genuinely dont know what the correct solution is.

Though what i do know is, if you had to pay £30 annually to be a member of RMS id end up having a nervous breakdown as a result of my tightness as i couldnt do without it, but wouldnt want to pay :p.

Regarding the clay pigeon shooting, LOL, how ridiculous that they've even been mentioned in this thread.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
This topic can apply to lots of other sorts of busniess too though. Theres folk on here that buy and sell cars regularly and are using RMS to advertise them. Yes they're not an official garage, but why should they be able to advertise for free yet a detailer for example cant?

I've covered this one earlier; ALL cars go in the classifieds system which is totally open. No one ad is any different to any other, by that I mean there isn't a Trade system in place like Pistonheads or other sites where Trader ads are listed in bold, or get pushed to the top. Thus everyone pays the same price and every ad gets the same treatment - fair system for all. This isn't part of the forum per se.

However when it comes to advertising on the main forum, which is by far the busiest and most used section of the site, Traders must either sign up to the Trade section or cease advertising. If they do sign up, there are numerous benefits such as their own forum area, larger PM inbox, banner ad, sticky threads for sales, etc.

Yes, there are people who advertise cars routinely in the Classifieds, but their ad gets no special treatment different to any others. If they wish to sign up as a Trader through the forum, then they can list their cars there and hit a wider audience with greater benefits such as increased photo sizes and the ability to answer queries directly on the forum.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I've covered this one earlier; ALL cars go in the classifieds system which is totally open. No one ad is any different to any other, by that I mean there isn't a Trade system in place like Pistonheads or other sites where Trader ads are listed in bold, or get pushed to the top. Thus everyone pays the same price and every ad gets the same treatment - fair system for all. This isn't part of the forum per se.

However when it comes to advertising on the main forum, which is by far the busiest and most used section of the site, Traders must either sign up to the Trade section or cease advertising. If they do sign up, there are numerous benefits such as their own forum area, larger PM inbox, banner ad, sticky threads for sales, etc.

Yes, there are people who advertise cars routinely in the Classifieds, but their ad gets no special treatment different to any others. If they wish to sign up as a Trader through the forum, then they can list their cars there and hit a wider audience with greater benefits such as increased photo sizes and the ability to answer queries directly on the forum.

I understand.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
There are traders that buy & sell via the forum too and as far as I know aren't paid up trade members.

Hope the buying and selling cars thing isn't refering to me. I have some sort of car retention problem, thats all... :p

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
the cliosport site has it sussed i,d say you can only access certain areas such as parts forsale or parts wanted and members lounge to mention a few if you pay a ten pound per year membership this still encourages people to register free to use the rest of the forum i think thats the way forward to be honest , will get more money in for rms and cooper to get more sideways lessons and maybe someday beat mr luney lol dont see any problems in him sponsoring himself

ferrett

RMS Regular
Drives
rsvr cupra r 225
There are traders that buy & sell via the forum too and as far as I know aren't paid up trade members.

Hope the buying and selling cars thing isn't refering to me. I have some sort of car retention problem, thats all... :p

snap had way over 60 cars now:oops: and 13 this year ffs

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack

Use the Report button if you see an unauthorised ad and we will deal with it (y)

There are NO car sales on the forum though, we delete any which appear - even if they're listed as 'trade/swap' in the wanted section, or otherwise.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 R
Just using one member as an example,

what exactly is the difference here between these members putting up their pictures and others like Marky (not having a go here mate)and many others who put a new car thread up, then a for sale ad 45 seconds later??

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.