Cheap 7 Seat 4x4

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
We're thinking about getting a 7 seater 4x4 as a multi purpose additional car.

I had a quick look yesterday and found a Discovery;

http://www.usedcarsni.com/145354471

And a Terrano;

http://www.usedcarsni.com/144872448

My preference would be the Discovery as its a bit less agricultural looking (Mrs Lyons prefers it too), but I know the Terrano gets a good name.

What are the TD5 Discoverys like for reliability? Are there various engines?

I see the Terrano can be had in 2.7 and 3.0, again what are these like? I seem to recall @Nicky mentioning they rust like mad?

Budget is £3k, but it needs to be presentable as it will be used as a family wagon too, so no rough farm vehicles! Ideally 02 or newer too.

Any other suggestions?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Either can rust underneath. Terrano's seem to be virtually unbreakable aside from occasional gearbox failures and the rot. I know of one that's taken unbelievable abuse and refuses to die. Disco's I know nothing about other than air suspension and electrical issues. Plus you'll probably end up growing a beard, hiking up the Mournes every weekend and growing potatoes in your back garden if you bought one.

Dave..

RMS Regular
@Lyons
Have a read / register on here: http://www.landrovernet.com/
I think the Disco TD5`s are know to give problems, try and get a 300 TDI or a 200 TDI but maybe too old.
Speak to Ian Anderson in N`Ards 4x4 Centre T: 028 9182 7300 - he used to do the work to my defender and has run disco`s for years.

Jason

RMS Regular
Up the budget a bit and ive a cracking TD5 facelift Disco

$_86.JPG

$_86.JPG

Jason

RMS Regular
I've had 2 people view it and couldn't fault it but didn't realise the size of them and their wife's couldn't drive them on the test drive!

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
If you dont really need a big 4x4 I would think long and hard first....your fussy, so finding something that pleases you will be hard at that money, and whatever it is, its almost gaurenteed to give you hassle and return crap mpg.

Philljdm

RMS Regular
Drives
mk2.5 focus st
Hyundai terracan are meant to be a good wagon and comfortable but not sure if there 7 seat

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yes some of them have 7 seats. Terracan shares a lot of bits with the Shogun/Pajero.

Dave..

RMS Regular
If you dont really need a big 4x4 I would think long and hard first....your fussy, so finding something that pleases you will be hard at that money, and whatever it is, its almost gaurenteed to give you hassle and return crap mpg.

And have the acceleration of a snail but with lots of smoke.................

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Haha so are you not fussy? Not saying its a bad thing I'm the same. I'd say most of us on here are compared to the general (non car loving) public.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
The rear seats in a terrano are nigh on useless. I do love them though and have had a few in my time.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Shoguns aren't a bad choice, and neither are Terranos. Both have their faults, and both offer half decent space for the 6th/7th seats for smaller folk, though rear luggage space in both with the rear seats occupied is minimal, if that's an issue.

Anything around a couple of grand with have signs of age and wear, though I'd buy based on chassis condition and how the vehicle is mechanically. Bodywork can be tidied up, and breakers yards have plenty of offerings of almost all the 4x4's mentioned, so parts, panels and lights won't be an issue.

Rust, functioning 4wd and a sound engine would be the top of the list if I was looking something.

If you stretched the budget a bit, you'd be looking at the likes of a Pathfinder which is a good all rounder, and tow well too, though just watch the tax class with some of them if that's an issue, as some of them creep into the £490 annual tax bracket.

The Volvo XC90's aren't a bad choice, but rather cramped inside IMO, and not just the very rear seats. They are expensive for replacement parts, and not as common as far as breakers go, so perhaps worth thinking about too.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
The other thing i would consider if i was gonna have a car full of kids is safety. I doubt the terrano is any good under impact.

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
Drives
mediocrely
Know of a 07 Commander that's in good condition with full jeep history. Sat navigation, leather, dvd. Would be just over 4k.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.