cheats to pass the MOT test that worked

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Darragh

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra TT6
I make sure they check the car over and have the certificate before I do any showing off :grinning: the golf and wife's Tiguan near enough go in one end and out the other as they no the golf has to be road worthy with my job and the wife's car only has 28000 miles ;)

Darragh

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra TT6
I even got a set of windscreen washers off a Chrysler voyager and modified them to the supra bumper and run the back washer jet to the front for the xenons, permanent and less hassle changing bulbs :grinning:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    462.9 KB · Views: 182

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Not a bodge or cheat but kindly got allowed to hold the 205 at about 4 and a half k to get through emissions as the gauge was going nuts without the thing even being in the exhaust.

My dad usually has fun at mot time when one of his Triumph 2000s is involved (when it's on the road). One of them regularly ended up in arguments about when was and wasn't structural on a shell. The v8 one was treated to the obligatory circles out the back of the centre before getting a certificate too. Only bodge really was the tidy duct tape on the bottoms of the doors painted body colour to make sure there were no sharp edges!

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Triumph Spitfire - Throttle Cable broke on the way to the test so cable tied it up, it melted on when on the rollers and I had to tie it up again in the centre, still passed tho.

1972 landrover, passed with a broken halfshaft in the rear axle - meant it wouldn't drive and had to be nursed to the centre in 4wd. When performing the brake test, obviously the handbrake wouldn't work, as the rear axle wouldn't lock. The tester rolled it across the floor pulled and pulled the hand brake on, this resulted in the front axle locking up (4wd on) and me hitting the windscreen - he said "well something is braking, we'll call that a pass" Also for that test I had to ride the brakes for most of the way there to get them to balance, which they did (have since been replaced anyway). He never checked the wipers which was just as well as we robbed a washer pump from a donor vehicle 20 mins before the test that turned out not to work either. By the time I had got home, the indicators and the horn had already quit working lol.

Toyota Soarer, digi dash doesn't dual read. At the last mot the inspector had passed the car and was standing with the cert in his hand asking me about the dash and how to get it reading in KPH. He said "you don't have to show me but can it be switched to read in KPH", I looked from him to the pass cert in his hand and nodded, "yes, yes it can" :party:

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Triumph Spitfire - Throttle Cable broke on the way to the test so cable tied it up, it melted on when on the rollers and I had to tie it up again in the centre, still passed tho.

1972 landrover, passed with a broken halfshaft in the rear axle - meant it wouldn't drive and had to be nursed to the centre in 4wd. When performing the brake test, obviously the handbrake wouldn't work, as the rear axle wouldn't lock. The tester rolled it across the floor pulled and pulled the hand brake on, this resulted in the front axle locking up (4wd on) and me hitting the windscreen - he said "well something is braking, we'll call that a pass" Also for that test I had to ride the brakes for most of the way there to get them to balance, which they did (have since been replaced anyway). He never checked the wipers which was just as well as we robbed a washer pump from a donor vehicle 20 mins before the test that turned out not to work either. By the time I had got home, the indicators and the horn had already quit working lol.

Toyota Soarer, digi dash doesn't dual read. At the last mot the inspector had passed the car and was standing with the cert in his hand asking me about the dash and how to get it reading in KPH. He said "you don't have to show me but can it be switched to read in KPH", I looked from him to the pass cert in his hand and nodded, "yes, yes it can" :party:
Hahaha I had to do that in My soarer, when the Tester asked about the digital readout I just started pushing buttons on the Japanese SAT Nav screen and said one of these buttons changed it, after scrolling through some sub menus in Japanese he went I'm sure it does and it passed, no kph readout, but probably directions to a Tokyo brothel.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Mate of mine had this old Astra we picked up from a guy at my work for £100. Was a 1.6 petrol but would blow clouds of blue smoke like it was running on pure engine oil. Only happened every now and then for some reason and would blow huge clouds out when getting a bit of a cutting round the back roads. Was rough as anything and only really fit to use for a few months because it had a tow bar and a pretty good handbrake. Anyway we took it for MOT about 3 months after he got it to see what it needed. There was talk of just driving it back to T-Met afterwards because the thing was that rough and would never MOT again... but in the interests of scientific studies, and the fact that the MOT was paid for we decided to run it through the MOT for the craic.

The smoke was so bad in the lane waiting to get in you'd swear someone had lit a BBQuick and stuck it under the rear bumper. The clouds were unreal. He threw it in anyway and I stood outside waiting on it. Just as the roller door was going down it coughed and blew out a huge cloud of smoke. Two seconds later all doors were open to try and air the place out. I nearly peed my pants laughing at it. Apparently it did it again on the brake roller and filled the centre with smoke, but nothing was said.

Unbelievably it passed!

Didn't last long. Burst into flames overnight on his driveway about 3 months later lol

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
When the Cats kacked themselves on the Saab I got dees to bang in a mild steel section, by time mot came, surface rust had made it blend in with he rest of the exhaust so the boy didn't notice the cat missing, cleared the eml light in the queue and it passed.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
To balance out all the talk of bodges, i had the tester come out to reception (English Mot in a garage) and say he's never seen brake pipes as tidily done as the ones on my 20 year old alfa which made me happy. I did them 3 years ago with a load of other work to leave it right and it seems to be working ok as i got similar comments at the mot's back home with it too.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Not a cheat but Cali had been in storage for the summer and went to lift it out in Fermanagh so booked the test drive down trailed it out had a quick check over and only thing was windscreen washer making all the right noises but doing nothing...

Had no time to strip it so resigned myself to a fail and fired it through and prepared to fix when I got it up home

Took it in anyway and had a chat as usual about cars... decent spud heard it making the noises and gimme cert and told me to get some water into the bottle :grinning:

New pump was only £8 so cheaper than it and a retest and was sorted pronto

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
I don't mind newtownards, downpatrick failed me on a blown taillight bulb which i thought was a bit mean.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
I don't mind newtownards, downpatrick failed me on a blown taillight bulb which i thought was a bit mean.

They seem to take offence at them minor obvious things that shud be well prepped before the test... but of course can fail enroute to test too

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
yeah it popped on the way, was only a drive of about 10 miles to the MOT centre. I now sit in lane with everything off lol.

Darragh

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra TT6
Forgot to say last mot the supra went to it wasn't dual marked ( fancy el glow dials hiding the dual dial ) I set the road angel in the window to kph and it past, most modern cars have a digital display in kph so he couldn't fail it :grinning:

El glo dials out to be sold so back to normal dials now lol

sean2009

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Mines kmh at the mo was told to just get mph and stick over kmh.. or just rub/marker over the k so it will be just mh.. would this work.. also the rear fog light needs fitted cuz am unsure of the reversing red bulb.. it's for the test next week :rolleyes:

dingle

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
True true, I wouldn't do it for the daily it gets what it needs and is pretty straight forward.

The other one has given me to much hassle too many times for stupid things that don't matter given its use that it's gets thrown in and see what they want changed for a pass

Phil

I barely look at my car pre MOT - take it through, then do my servicing and MOT fixes (if necessary) after - Not too bothered about whether they like it or not, they still get paid.

dingle

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG

I often wonder about this - People often tell stories of certain MOT centres being harder than others. I find it hard to believe that there are subcultures among different test centres. Does it not just depend on the guy you get that day and the state of your car?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.