Citroen Ami.. Ridiculous or a stroke of genius?

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
I'll suggest, it's a stroke of genius, if you live in a big city like Paris.

It's certainly a bold design.....

Took a few snaps tonight at Roadside Dollingstown.

20220924_175831.jpg

20220924_175852.jpg

20220924_175822.jpg

20220924_175839.jpg

Attachments

• 20220924_175839.jpg
    20220924_175839.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 43

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I'll suggest, it's a stroke of genius, if you live in a big city like Paris.

It's certainly a bold design.....

Took a few snaps tonight at Roadside Dollingstown.

View attachment 376023
View attachment 376024
View attachment 376025
View attachment 376027
I think they're brilliant, if they were just a smidge more capable, I'd certainly entertain one. I'd like the max to be 45 or so, then most roads are doable.
Wife recently changed to a new fully electric DS3, I can certainly see the appeal for day to day driving.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
I remember being in Paris many moons ago and there were MK1 Twingos everywhere. They made total sense in that environment, as do these.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I think they're great but can't think of any practical use for them here. I'm a city dweller and most local journeys for business are on a Vespa. Costs £100 a year to tax & insure, does 100mpg, can run down the bus lanes and run it to the front door of shops / offices / etc and not worry about parking tickets. It's absolutely perfect.

I guess the downside is it's exposed and our weather isn't great but for those poor days I can just use the car, which does exactly the same as an Ami with the added benefit of being useable beyond the outer ring.

If they could be used on the bus lanes that alone would be a massive benefit.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I think they're great but can't think of any practical use for them here. I'm a city dweller and most local journeys for business are on a Vespa. Costs £100 a year to tax & insure, does 100mpg, can run down the bus lanes and run it to the front door of shops / offices / etc and not worry about parking tickets. It's absolutely perfect.

I guess the downside is it's exposed and our weather isn't great but for those poor days I can just use the car, which does exactly the same as an Ami with the added benefit of being useable beyond the outer ring.

If they could be used on the bus lanes that alone would be a massive benefit.

I was considering a wee Vespa for squizzing about on but I fear I'd look a bell on it.

Expectation...
1664184506838.png

Reality...
1664184615945.png

Phil_ray

RMS Regular
Drives
Toyota Rav4
as has been said if they where a bit more capable, up to 40/45 they would be perfect for city driving, it would be perfect for someone to pop to work or the shops in, i would nearly think about getting one as a second car just to get to and from work or what not. but the fact that it doesnt even do 30mph is slightly off putting. even in a 30 you will be holding people up if you get a clear bit of road.

Phil_ray

RMS Regular
Drives
Toyota Rav4
Reminder: you live a mile away :joy:
it might save me looking a prat on my eclectic scooter if i ever bother to get one. tho i doubt if my wife would ever want to be seen dead in one, you know standards to keep up and all that lol

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
I was just saying to the boys in work today about the Ami, and the universal response I got, which was also my response, ‘Why would you not just buy a moped?’ Was out on an old Chinese Jing Ling moped on Saturday at a mates for the craic. 32mph on the clock, more than a 46 mile range to a tank (charge), easy parking, traffic busting, inexpensive upkeep.
I can see the benefits of an Ami over a moped, obviously, with regards to safety and weather protection but at £8k compared to an equivalent brand new 50cc at say £2k, I don’t see the appeal personally.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I'd rather have a side-by-side ATV or even a quad with a cab.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I was just saying to the boys in work today about the Ami, and the universal response I got, which was also my response, ‘Why would you not just buy a moped?’ Was out on an old Chinese Jing Ling moped on Saturday at a mates for the craic. 32mph on the clock, more than a 46 mile range to a tank (charge), easy parking, traffic busting, inexpensive upkeep.
I can see the benefits of an Ami over a moped, obviously, with regards to safety and weather protection but at £8k compared to an equivalent brand new 50cc at say £2k, I don’t see the appeal personally.

Safety - dont know if I would prepfer to highside over a bonnet or get crushed in a can 🤷‍♂️

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
I wouldn't fancy seeing one of these after a few salty winters. Looks like all the dirt of the day gets thrown all over the unshielded chassis frame.