Classic mini cooper

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
Mr Mrs Mini was bored out to 1293, head work, bigger valves, high comp pistons and high lift cam.

Looked standard, but went like an absolute rocket. Doesnt take a lot to make these things rapid and yet retain the standard look.

That’s kind of what I’m thinking, ultimately the ECU is the limit with the Spi and it seems to be 85bhp is all that’s achievable without getting standalone management and a bigger injector.

I love the fact that I can just jump in it, no messing with chokes or setting up carbs etc it’s just goes and I can drive it anywhere without worrying.

But I could do stage 3 head, 1.5 roller rockers and I already have an LCB and filter and maybe 85bhp would be enough lol

The next thing will be a fletcher back box as I love the look and sound of them, plus the roll cage and tidying up a few wee bits that are starting to blister. Want to really keep on top of the paint issues as soon as I see them rather than letting it get to resto stage again.

Also need a new bootlamp as it’s badly pitted and they are only a tenner 😂 and I’ve a new bonnet strap sitting but the screws in the old one are rusted away to nothing so will be a pita to do.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
That’s kind of what I’m thinking, ultimately the ECU is the limit with the Spi and it seems to be 85bhp is all that’s achievable without getting standalone management and a bigger injector.

I love the fact that I can just jump in it, no messing with chokes or setting up carbs etc it’s just goes and I can drive it anywhere without worrying.

But I could do stage 3 head, 1.5 roller rockers and I already have an LCB and filter and maybe 85bhp would be enough lol

The next thing will be a fletcher back box as I love the look and sound of them, plus the roll cage and tidying up a few wee bits that are starting to blister. Want to really keep on top of the paint issues as soon as I see them rather than letting it get to resto stage again.

Also need a new bootlamp as it’s badly pitted and they are only a tenner 😂 and I’ve a new bonnet strap sitting but the screws in the old one are rusted away to nothing so will be a pita to do.
Injection is always easier than carbs, as you know the standalone management will cost a considerable amount but its def worth it for driveability as you say. Again, you dont need stupid power to make them fly, they are so good at handling that it just makes them endless fun to drive. Plus the fact that your ass is about 6" off the road gives you a bit of a danger thrill :joy:

Looking forward to the updates

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
The mini is currently at W J Blair’s in Doagh having a few little bits of corrosion sorted, I’m missing just having it sitting to go out and have a nosey at any time I like.

In the mean time I took some advice from @davyk31 and got a plate for it. @Davey@Procar sorted me out with VXI 140. I have always wanted either a VXI or YXI plate. No idea why just always thought they looked nice.

@Neil@rockvale has some black and silver plates made up for me that I need to grab and I’ll get them fitted.

With the trip to Shedfest on the cards, I wanted to get seats sorted as although the ones that are in it look great, they are cheap knockoffs and you might as well be sitting in an actual plastic bucket rather than a bucket seat, so uncomfortable for any distance!

I have agonised over what to do and decided to have some custom ones made from Newton Commercial. They are a similar style seat as to what’s in it but rather than black Vinyl, they are trimming them in black leather then the centres I’m doing in the same “lightning” material as it’s original cooper rear seat and door cards. Should look nice and be something a bit different to the usual interior.

I’m hoping a body coloured rear cage will be sorted and in and that will be the mods for this year complete.

I’m hoping over summer I can get a drive in a few tuned mini’s and get owners real world feedback on reliability with them.

At minimum I’ll do the stage 3 90bhp kit but now I see Vmax Scart do a supercharger kit for injection cars this could be a possibility

Or a classic 1380 with a lumpy cam and carb conversion as I just love the sound of them.

Building an engine for one isn’t cheap at all and I want to be really sure it’s worth it before I commit to it. I will use it a lot over the summer and plan quite a long distance trips in it so I want to be sure it’s reliable.

Pointless without pics update but I’m just get excited that it’s almost time to have it back out again!

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
The mini is currently at W J Blair’s in Doagh having a few little bits of corrosion sorted, I’m missing just having it sitting to go out and have a nosey at any time I like.

In the mean time I took some advice from @davyk31 and got a plate for it. @Davey@Procar sorted me out with VXI 140. I have always wanted either a VXI or YXI plate. No idea why just always thought they looked nice.

@Neil@rockvale has some black and silver plates made up for me that I need to grab and I’ll get them fitted.

With the trip to Shedfest on the cards, I wanted to get seats sorted as although the ones that are in it look great, they are cheap knockoffs and you might as well be sitting in an actual plastic bucket rather than a bucket seat, so uncomfortable for any distance!

I have agonised over what to do and decided to have some custom ones made from Newton Commercial. They are a similar style seat as to what’s in it but rather than black Vinyl, they are trimming them in black leather then the centres I’m doing in the same “lightning” material as it’s original cooper rear seat and door cards. Should look nice and be something a bit different to the usual interior.

I’m hoping a body coloured rear cage will be sorted and in and that will be the mods for this year complete.

I’m hoping over summer I can get a drive in a few tuned mini’s and get owners real world feedback on reliability with them.

At minimum I’ll do the stage 3 90bhp kit but now I see Vmax Scart do a supercharger kit for injection cars this could be a possibility

Or a classic 1380 with a lumpy cam and carb conversion as I just love the sound of them.

Building an engine for one isn’t cheap at all and I want to be really sure it’s worth it before I commit to it. I will use it a lot over the summer and plan quite a long distance trips in it so I want to be sure it’s reliable.

Pointless without pics update but I’m just get excited that it’s almost time to have it back out again!
Did you have any other ideas on seats ? My bro is looking a set for his but can't decide on what's the best way to go.

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
Did you have any other ideas on seats ? My bro is looking a set for his but can't decide on what's the best way to go.

If he wants too keep the classic look the cobra range of stuff is pretty comfy.

A lot of people do mX5 seats in them too!

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
If he wants too keep the classic look the cobra range of stuff is pretty comfy.

A lot of people do mX5 seats in them too!
Will say to him. He's talking about just going to buy new, but he's also tight so is always looking at second had bucket seats wondering if they'll fit 😆

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
Some nice changes incoming @big_pete .

I'd love to get something engine wise too but as you say they are expensive wee engines to work on! Mine will need to wait a year or two till I get some money recouped after this winter lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155

Building an engine for one isn’t cheap at all and I want to be really sure it’s worth it before I commit to it.
1480 on twin 1.5" SU's or gtfo lol. Was working with a lad from Cairncastle with a 1480 in a completely standard looking Special. None of it is cheap but the relative cost of going 1460/1480 over a 1380 isn't that much.. Honest lol

A 1480 Midget

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
1480 on twin 1.5" SU's or gtfo lol. Was working with a lad from Cairncastle with a 1480 in a completely standard looking Special. None of it is cheap but the relative cost of going 1460/1480 over a 1380 isn't that much.. Honest lol

A 1480 Midget

It would freak me out that if one little thing went wrong the block has nothing left to machine lol

I think I’m going to fit the spi stage 3 kit and see what it’s like for a while then give it more thought.

Got update from Blair’s today that my little blister on the rear went into a hole 😂 so a little more bodywork that first thought but might as well sort it properly as this is definitely a keeper car now.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yeah, also not sure if Omega are still doing 74mm pistons any more. Having said that, if anything went wrong with a 73.5mm piston, you'd be very lucky to get away without needing a block either way, only 10 thou of meat to play with between that and a 74mm bore. I reckon new block castings aren't far away too as Swiftune are already getting FIA approved 12G940 replacement head castings made. They'll be cheap.... 8o|

Darragh

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra TT6
Mine is nearly finished and ready for the road, I’ll call down once it’s done and get a picture beside yours, I’m on the colour coding the four arches and it’s hard to do this time of year with the cold lol I got lucky my blisters were solid underneath :grinning:

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
This is what was hiding behind a few tiny little blisters on the back!

It’s in the right hands to get sorted though, Blair’s know minis inside out. Just part of owning one, every year you will be painting something. Just trying my best to keep on top of it before it escalates 😂

9DE360A3-3C50-42D3-8AA9-A45022081F28.jpeg

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
Finally back from the bodyshop on Friday . They have made a great job of it. Now remachine polish it and get some Modesta Private Label onto it.

Have been scooting about non stop since then. It is absolutely the most fun car I own lol

Hopefully get it out to some events now!

3F1D1FC7-A8BD-4384-944B-1796CD20EB23.jpeg
1CED9CF7-3514-4BCE-8E04-84B903B8C0C0.jpeg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Just shows you don't need big flashy powerful cars to have good fun driving. Seems all a lot focus on now is how fast a car is in a straight line, but this matter little for overall enjoyment. (y)