Coming Soon.... 2015 Honda Type R

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Civic is a big car now, almost like an Accord.

Just can’t warm to the styling. Reviewers love how it drives though (y)

Gambit

RMS Regular
i see HKS didnt think much of the 3 pipe exhaust style

31021-BH003 LEGAMAX Premium Honda Civic Type-R FK8 - HKS Europe

31021-BH003.jpg

bentspoon

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster & Celica
it has 2 exhaust pipes the middle pipe sucks in air to reduce the drone apparently

But what's up with that triple-tip exhaust? Some folks seem to think it's just an unnecessary styling feature, but it's much more than that—it's a precisely engineered, fully functional addition that's crucial to the Type R's aural experience. Road & Track spoke with Rob Keough, senior product planner for the 10th-generation Civic, to find out why a four-cylinder car is breathing through three tailpipes of two different diameters.

drivetrain-1497627266.jpg

HONDA
"Traditionally with these big flow exhaust systems, when you get up into highway speeds, you can get a lot of droning, booming, buzzing—not very comfortable for high speed cruising," Keough told R&T. Honda wanted to offer a sporty, engaging sound in aggressive driving, without punishing drivers on long commutes or highway trips. And the automaker wanted to do so without resorting to stereo-enhanced engine sounds or complex (and expensive) multi-mode muffler systems.

The solution is to split the single exhaust into three pipes just behind the rear axle. The two outer pipes include large straight-flow mufflers. The center, smaller diameter pipe is a resonator, shaped and sized to perform a particular aural trick.

drivetrain-1497887911.jpg

HONDA
At low speed—say, as you're full-throttle accelerating from a dead stop—some of the exhaust flows through the center resonator, generating a louder, more aggressive growl. "You'll hear it both outside and inside the car," Keough said. As you settle in to high speed cruising, the exhaust flowing through the center outlet hits a resonant frequency. The resonator gets stuffed with air, stalling the airflow; the resulting backpressure diverts the exhaust to flow exclusively through the larger outboard mufflers, reducing the cabin noise at highway speeds.

"It basically diminishes the resonator effect at that point, attenuating the sound inside the car," Keough said. "You still get your big flow through the outboard pipes, but you get a more refined in-cabin experience at high-speed cruising. " Under certain conditions, the center resonator can actually begin sucking air in, Keough said, creating a venturi effect flowing out through the outboard pipes.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Say what you like about the looks, but there's no denying these cars are capable. Not content with winning most group tests I've seen them in throughout the motoring mags I read, they're now lapping Suzuka quicker than a Porsche Carerra GT, Ferrari F40 and Ferrari F50 amongst others. It's an EU production car too, not a stripped out track special.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
The fk2 and 8 are absolute weapons, really nice inside and they stand out a country mile from a normal civic, unlike the dull as dishwater German rivals. Grey FK8 is a perfect hot hatch imo

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
I have never driven a fwd car or enjoyed for that matter, a fwd car as much as my fk2.. you will not push a fwd harder and smile as much. I will own an fk8 when the time is right. If you want something properly fun and engaging in this era of hot hatch , buy and fk2 or fk8. If you want to play sensible
... Well, then there's plenty else out there too.