Coming Soon.... 2015 Honda Type R

Gambit

RMS Regular
im pretty certain i seen a grey one pass me the other day....but on looking in rear view mirror i wasnt sure but the 3 exhausts where the giveaway - bit more googling of pics explained it...when you look at it from the rear - you cannot see the spoiler and it looks really weird imo

best google pic i could find
Honda-Civic-Type-R-042-9nra.jpg

56oval

RMS Regular
I believe that's kinda his point in the general terms of the video.

I watched the one he did about the Mustang, it was quiet funny, then i watched this one about the Type R and ended up flicking through it as essentially its the same schpiell from the same guy who obviously has an axe to grind with the car industry. Either this dude doesn't get out at all or he used to work for a mainstream car rag who once asked him to do a review on the Citroen Cactus.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I quite like them. Everyone else is going understated, good on Honda for bucking the trend. Not a vastly different scenario from when Evos and Scoobies looked a bit wild next to the average saloon.

Most importantly, judging from reviews, they drive fantastic.

2017-honda-civic-type-r-12.jpg

David Patterson

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Type R
Completely agree. Honda havent gone the safe route, and have designed the looks to match the sporty nature of the car. If I was spending that sort of money for a performance car I would want it to stand out, and not look the same as the "economy" version in the range.

As also pointed out surely what really matters is the drive/handling of the car? According to reviews it sounds pretty stellar.

Looking forward to my test drive next week.

Gambit

RMS Regular
As also pointed out surely what really matters is the drive/handling of the car

nobody buys a car solely on its drive/handling. im sure from the reviews it would be a hoot to drive but if i had to step in & out of that car daily itd need to have some sort of front door so that i would never have to lay eyes on its side or rear.

saying that i didnt mind the styling of the previous Type-R - looked really well in the Metallic Grey colour

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I mostly like the looks of the new one, but that rear arch looks weird and the wheels look lost. Maybe if the arch extensions carried over to the back doors it would help. Just doesn't flow right or something.

I also think the matt black look with black wheels in the picture above doesn't do it any favours.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
nobody buys a car solely on its drive/handling.
Several owners of various Caterham 7s, Ariel Atoms, Radicals etc would disagree with you.

Ok there are track specials mostly but there are plenty who will be drawn to the Type R's capabilities over aesthetics.

Me personally, I like it. Kinda harks back to the Evos and STIs of the mid-00s. I would prefer this on my driveway that a Golf R or an RS3. They don't look different enough to their cooking model siblings to me. The Focus RS however has the balance perfect however.

jagged

RMS Regular
Drives
640D G.C. E36M3
Recently took an interest in the mk 7.5 golf r and while impressed with the quality of it couldn't get past the bland looks to even take a test drive , did drive a clubsport 40 and again all very nice but I thought it was a regular gti sitting outside the dealers ,
Thought the new type r looked a bit wild, so went into Honda dealers to see the regular one expecting not to like it but thought it looked ok , and very practical though interior quality well behind VW . so enquired about the type r , and was told some build slots available , 3k deposit and not allowed to sell car on for 6 mths .
Evo magazine have described it as ' wildly exciting ' to drive , not a term that applies to much nowadays !
So what does this 63 yr old make of it ?, can't wait to see and drive one ! am reminded of a letter in a car magazine recently written by a man who bought a new dc2 when he was 62 and still loving it !

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Interesting that they don't allow you to resell it for 6 mths. Porsche/Ferrari could take a leaf out of their book!

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Think Honda had to go down the route of mad, over the top styling otherwise nobody would buy one - it's the Type R's defining feature.

Not for me.