Custom exhaust or Milltek?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I think I might need a new exhaust for the MINI pretty soon. It's looking fairly ropey and I think I can hear it blowing somewhere.

Milltek resonated cat back system is running at about £500, which to me seems quite expensive and I was thinking I could get one made for similar or less and not have to fit it myself / wait for delivery, etc. Has anyone used Dee's recently or any other custom exhaust maker over here (NOT streetracer) that they would recommend?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Not sure but he's just up the road which would be dead handy.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Dee's I imagine would be hard to beat on price, momentum would be crazy expensive no doubt.

Presumably you've tried the mini forums for 2nd hand systems?

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Yea Gavin does exhausts
FB_IMG_1458637590328.jpg
FB_IMG_1458637582986.jpg
FB_IMG_1458637580125.jpg
FB_IMG_1458637576980.jpg

brendy

RMS Regular
I find it so hard to justify the likes of Milltek when there are so many decent aftermarket makers now. Personally I love Cobra Sport, though Dee's did make a decent cat back for my old Cupra too.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Callaghans in Burt (Powerflow, near Derry) did a good job on my mates MX-5, looked spot on, little bit quiet in normal driving but opened up nicely when the foot went down. Bit far for yourself but more to point out you can get a decent system made up locally.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 R
It's hard to beat Miltek, the quality is superb and delivery (for the 2 Iv bought) was overnight. Fitting was perfect and there's always a resale.
New Milteks for the Golf R are around £1200 (cat back) and they still command £900ish second hand.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
if your going to fire the original back on at sale time I find the likes of Miltek will sell in a heartbeat compared to a dee's

Probably not mate, it's already been welded up and the other back box is starting to fall to pieces now. The hangers in the middle are also about to come off so it's about fit for the skip lol

Stocky

RMS Regular
It's hard to beat Miltek, the quality is superb and delivery (for the 2 Iv bought) was overnight. Fitting was perfect and there's always a resale.
New Milteks for the Golf R are around £1200 (cat back) and they still command £900ish second hand.

Check Euro Car Parts - £950ish new at the minute for a milltek(y)

dddrrift

RMS Regular
i bought a 2nd hand milltek of @Cooper for the M3 ages ago, about 6 months later it developed a rattle from inside the backbox. I dropped milltek uk a message and even though I hadn't bought it 'new' they had a brand new one at my door 2 days later! excellent service and stand over their lifetime warranty no questions asked. recommended!

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Performance wise, would there be much of a difference between Milltek and a Custom Exhaust?

After all Milltek and other brands tend to sell their exhausts on the fact that they are bench tested for performance whereas a custom one isn't tested?

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
i bought a 2nd hand milltek of @Cooper for the M3 ages ago, about 6 months later it developed a rattle from inside the backbox. I dropped milltek uk a message and even though I hadn't bought it 'new' they had a brand new one at my door 2 days later! excellent service and stand over their lifetime warranty no questions asked. recommended!

Same, miltek replaced the sports cats for my m3 when a weld cracked and it started to blow!

Sorted within days.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Same here @m00k and my experience at the time wasn't brilliant but it was donkeys ago and they're still going, which made me think it may have been a one-off. They did one for my GSI Vectra in like 2000/2001 and it kept coming off the hangars. They had a couple of goes fixing it and then the car was sold.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Yeah sounds about right I had a few return trips top and remember em being a bit arsey over it not coming back for some kind of 'annual inspection' to retain the warranty... One system always knocked off summat underneath on bumps or Ramps etc too

Was the last time I used them for anything

The off the shelf big brand stuff def would be my choice

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Keep hunting the forums and ebay for a stainless steel one, you could wait for ages though then go and buy new and the next day 3 of them pop up lol.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.