Cv19 and car prices

it_carwasher

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche
Ha, a few quid saved and a car allowance helps. S3 went for a good price. 992 will be here for a while...

Jecks

RMS Regular
OP
J
Haven’t checked myself but apparently BMW AUC are dropping prices quite quickly

Jecks

RMS Regular
OP
J
I’d imagine buying any car from let’s say 12-15k upwards at today’s retail price would be a depreciation nightmare. unless you plan on hanging on to it for a very long time.
You know they are only going one way but it depends on how much they fall.
I’m sure car buying isn’t a priority for 99% of the population and won’t be for a very long time.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I’d imagine buying any car from let’s say 12-15k upwards at today’s retail price would be a depreciation nightmare. unless you plan on hanging on to it for a very long time.
You know they are only going one way but it depends on how much they fall.
I’m sure car buying isn’t a priority for 99% of the population and won’t be for a very long time.

It’s going to be a buyers market. Anyone with cash to buy looking at a car the owners needs to sell will be able to get a deal

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
Stuck my reg into WBAC and its not much off what im looking for it. To be fair it's an 09 mondeo so probably couldn't offer much less than they did.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
I know it’s a buyers market but how many people want to spunk a load on a car at the moment! How long do they know their finances are going to be solid! Not many I’m guessing! The economy is to big to fail so companies will be propped up

Eventually this will pass, things will slowly get back to normal and prices on everything will take a hit but your not going to get a 30k car for 15 no matter what anyone thinks at that rate of going a 10k will be trading at 2 or 3 and everyone looses! All falls will be pro rata so unless your a cash buyer you not in a lot better position than you were before this!

If you need to sell for whatever reason, yes, you have a problem!

Feel for the pcp self employed people if there is no bought and paid for runaround! Hate to see anyone in a position of loosing their sole means of transport :-(

Hope they will set up payment holidays of these cases too!

Last edited:

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
the dealer in England i got my M2 from phoned me this week with the offer of a change to an M2 comp, at astonishing money.
No Sir there is nothing wrong with the car market or prices and we aren’t slightly concerned. Now we just got this Ferrari in and it’s a bit of a deal. £50k off what it was last week.

But as I say, business as usual.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
When are you getting it then:grinning:

I want the new M3 when its about 12-18months old, i'll see what the values are like in March 2021 when mine is due to go back and if it makes sense to keep it, i will, and if it doesn't ill hand it back, i absolutely love it, possibly my fav car i've owned , but i really think this new M3 will be savage and im saving towards that and im in no rush to change just now for the sake of changing.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
Drives
m135i, m40i
Maybe my timing was spot on trading the GTI in to Agnews . I got just shy of private price. When I was up yesterday there were rumours Of shutting up for a few weeks. They sold 12 cars on paddy’s day and bottomed out after that. Yesterday was dead compared to last Saturday which was packed after 11:30am

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
My car was due to be sold yeaterday but the buyer backed out midweek understandably until he sees what’s happening with his job.

He’s keen and passed on finance so just a waiting game.
I’m quite happy to wait it out.

therock

RMS Regular
the dealer in England i got my M2 from phoned me this week with the offer of a change to an M2 comp, at astonishing money.

Give us a clue

giphy.gif

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I want the new M3 when its about 12-18months old, i'll see what the values are like in March 2021 when mine is due to go back and if it makes sense to keep it, i will, and if it doesn't ill hand it back, i absolutely love it, possibly my fav car i've owned , but i really think this new M3 will be savage and im saving towards that and im in no rush to change just now for the sake of changing.

I would have loved one of the M2 competitions, typically there were no deals on them when I was changing. About 2 months after I got the TCR Bavarian had some great deals on about 5 of them, I was gutted.

KevM

RMS Regular
I am seeing the 'its a buyers market' popping up a lot here.

Dont go giving yourself an unrealistic expectation as to what that means. Yes, dealers will be keen to give you a good deal. Dont go in full or arrogance asking for £5000 off a used car, you will disappointed.... (y)

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
I'm trying to buy something at the moment but it's been hard finding something even before this covid 19 business.

Thinking back at the recession I dont remember stuff being cheap, cars just seemed to disappear.

slapshot_99

RMS Regular
Drives
RS Focus
I'd been considering changing as I've lost all interest in cars over past while, but for now I can safely say it's not even a viable consideration. In space of around 4 weeks the trade-in value has gone down 31%.

It's going to be a really tough time for the dealers for the foreseeable future and that's just going to reflected in supply chain to customer. Many aren't going to make it which isn't good for anyone.

J55NI

RMS Regular
I am seeing the 'its a buyers market' popping up a lot here.

Dont go giving yourself an unrealistic expectation as to what that means. Yes, dealers will be keen to give you a good deal. Dont go in full or arrogance asking for £5000 off a used car, you will disappointed.... (y)

Nearly as bad as the what's the least you will take "CASH" tonight mate. Genuinely hope people are not complete asses and as you say are realistic as this issue could put a lot of the bigger firms lights out and not just the smaller ones and led to a lot of unemployment.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
A lot of the nice, rare low mileage stuff has been rare on the market for a good while now unless you are willing to pay more than what is probably worth