Cv19 and car prices

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It would only "work" for private individuals though.

Any dealers would effectively have to "clear customs" when crossing the Irish sea and pay any tariffs one way or the other at that point.

It is all academic anyway until we know if our dear leader is really pigheaded enough to keep pushing for "no deal"...

it_carwasher

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche
I thought wee John said, in either instance - no tariffs. I know Bavarian have a load GB customers fly in and go back on the ferry. That will deffo increase, if GB have to pay 10% (or 6.3% in real terms) extra. Anyway, interesting to see....

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It is obviously entirely up to the UK government what tariffs they choose to impose for car imports to GB in the case of "no deal".

If they choose to impose tariffs on car imports to GB then they will apply to all ports of entry, including the new Irish sea customs border.

If they choose not to impose tariffs on car imports to GB then it will be tariff free at all ports of entry, including the new customs border at the Irish sea.

But nobody has a clue what our dear leader will actually do should he actually go for an actual "no deal". Including himself.

So it's all hypothetical anyway.

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
I think the bounce-back after this will be a fairly rapid one

Just noticed this thread and had a look back at the fear/unknown last March/April. Was pretty crazy.

@KevM that comment was March 2020, couldn't have been more accurate in regards to prices/used car demand tho you were the only one saying it at the time.

davyk31

RMS Regular
Don’t forget we are still in the world of furlough with lots of people having money to spend due to no holidays and not being able to spend much. Many are still working at home and saving money due to that. That position won’t be lasting for ever.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
When you've two cars in the household going through say a tank a week each, talk of guessing 70 quid. 140 extra disappearing from the accounts won't take long for people to sit up and realise. Take into account the coffees and random lunches with being in the office and then a day trip out and about at the weekend, dinner out. Guess what 200/220 a week. Current situation won't hold out to it. I'm just guessing if people are back in offices etc, merely speculation.