Pulled the STI badge off the boot and Gave her a wash

IMG_8873.JPG

IMG_8874.JPG

IMG_8876.JPG

IMG_8881.JPG

IMG_8875.JPG

Paul.

RMS Regular
It hasn't taken you long to get that car looking tidy again! If it was me, I wouldn't change the front end - the bug eye and original Impreza are my two favourite generations!

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Cheers @Paddy_R was good to meet you and @Astroid and see the red WRX in the metal , paint job is outstanding , looking forward to seeing how the door cards come out.

Thanks @Paul. paint work will need a fair bit of attention at some stage but if I can get her respectable looking and a free up a bit of power it will do its job for a few months (y)

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Yup still tucked in the shed , not a minute to look near it really , still in two minds about keeping/selling

Keep it, you have come this far, its taking no hurt sitting there until you get round to it again, you just might have to suffer the odd bit of abuse from RMS
about it lol

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Keep it, you have come this far, its taking no hurt sitting there until you get round to it again, you just might have to suffer the odd bit of abuse from RMS
about it lol
Lol the abuse / banter I can take , but I keep looking at the tasty bits I have sitting for it and wanting to poach them for this car.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
so yesterday was the day, was for gettig up early and getting:

Timing belt and all new pulleys
oil filter and oil change
air filter
Powersteering fluid top up
gearbox oil
diff oil
Chav valve removed and replaced with OEM recirc

image1.jpeg

Started removing bits for access

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

At this point i jacked up to get the undertray removed, everything had been nicely cleaned and refitted but behind it was hiding oil.. on the outside of the engine, rather than the inside.
I had been pretty throrough when i was loking the car over, the rocker covers are known to degrade with age / heat cycles and i was plesently surprised to find no trace of seeping oil when i was looking round her, sadly it was just well hidden.

Anyway, it is what it is, it needs two rocker cover seals and while it can be done with the engine in situ i will prob pull it out and make the job faster and easier, it also means i can do the timing belt and pulleys on the engine stand which will be far easier too.

not ideal, but at least ill know what i have when its done.

When i that far in i might well pop the heads off and put multi layer steels on for peace of mind, undecided as yet, any opinions appreciated. :worried:

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
The only upside of the day was i got the VTA dump valve removed and replaced with an OEM recirculating valve which i won on ebay for £5 :laughing:

image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image7.jpeg
image8.jpeg
image9.jpeg
image15.jpeg

a bit fiddly, but not hard, and so quiet when lifting off throttle, car drive much better now too, £5 well spent.

The VTA is on the shelf there if anyone wants a bit of woosh woosh noise, just not my thing (y)

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Loving the updates. Keep it up.

Nice to see it getting the mantenance she deserves.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
This is where it begins...... When the engine is out and on the stand with the heads off, you might find yourself in another project rebuild! Big power time lol

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
OpenPort cable arrived yesterday from Tactrix, pulled the ROM off the car and had a poke about, @bludgod has given me a few pointers , so will get to logging asap and see if we cant give the old girl some guts :laughing:

17814196_954980557971669_5510949735748033269_o.jpg

Also placed another order :sob:

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 11.18.20.png

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Have had a bit of bother getting parts , there are plenty of people breaking cars but not many willing to ship parts , managed to source this genuine STI uppipe from a breaker in England ,

IMG_9174.JPG

Decat STI left , WRX catted uppipe right

Looking down the pipe you can see the restriction of the cat

IMG_9172.JPG

Compared to the STI

IMG_9176.JPG

Looking forward to getting it fitted

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Made a start on this today , decided to pull the engine as there was a bit of oil around the bellhousing and that generally means rear crank seal so got tore in..

IMG_9207.JPG
IMG_9216.JPG
IMG_9218.JPG
IMG_9219.JPG
IMG_9222.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9207.JPG
    IMG_9207.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9216.JPG
    IMG_9216.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9218.JPG
    IMG_9218.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9219.JPG
    IMG_9219.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9222.JPG
    IMG_9222.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 46

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Got it off the lift an on the stand and got a good look round it ,

IMG_9223.JPG

Weeping from the dowty seals

IMG_9225.JPG

weeping from the rocker covers
IMG_9226.JPG
IMG_9227.JPG

weeping from behind the flyweel

IMG_9229.JPG

Bell housing soping with oil

IMG_9231.JPG

Rear crank seal goosed

IMG_9236.JPG

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Popped the driver side rocker off

IMG_9238.JPG

IMG_9239.JPG
IMG_9240.JPG
IMG_9241.JPG

copious amounts of stringy black goo, guessing who ever was here last didnt use the correct sealant, which is why there are so many leaks

IMG_9242.JPG

Also came across this little delight , again just guessing but looks like the friction plate of a previous clutch may have been installed the wrong way round and started to skim the flywheel bolts lol, bit shocked to see they were reused. Ill get new ones when its going back together
IMG_9243.JPG
IMG_9244.JPG

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Made a start to the rocker covers today , this was them at the start.

IMG_9310.JPG

pulled them off the heads, hit them with GUNK , and then fairy liquid, then carb cleaner and they came up well

IMG_9313.JPG
IMG_9314.JPG
IMG_9315.JPG

Thoroughly cleaned the mating surfaces
IMG_9317.JPG
IMG_9318.JPG
IMG_9319.JPG
IMG_9320.JPG

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Pulled out the old half moons, some folks say these shouldnt be reused, but i have re used in the past with no issues, so will do again
IMG_9326.JPG

IMG_9325.JPG

Gave them a thorough clean too

IMG_9323.JPG

IMG_9324.JPG

laid down a sparing bead of Threebond 1215 (Subarus recommended sealer in the FSM)

IMG_9327.JPG

Fitted some new rocker cover gaskets to the clean rocker covers

IMG_9328.JPG
IMG_9329.JPG

New dowty seals on the bolts
IMG_9330.JPG

and torqued into place
IMG_9331.JPG
IMG_9332.JPG

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
While i was in this far i check the plugs , they seem in pretty good condition, i have a full set here but am not going to change them unless i get issues when mapping

IMG_9339.JPG

Passenger side head was prob the worse of the two

IMG_9338.JPG

It got the same treatment

IMG_9340.JPG
IMG_9341.JPG
IMG_9342.JPG

Pulled the timing belt covers off to get a look at the belt and pulleys , at a guess i would say it has had a belt at some stage and possible pulleys too, but no recod of it in the service book, so ill do them all as i have them sitting here .

IMG_9344.JPG
IMG_9345.JPG

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Also fitted the decat up-pipe but not much to show in the way of photos so you will just have to take my word for it :p

heading away now for a few days , so will get back at it next weekend and hopfully get belt and pulleys done , new injectors in and get it dropped in and running again.