Daily beater - '01 Impreza WRX

Lee

RMS Regular
Nice work (y). Proper job. Not change to heat range 7s if giving her more horses?

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Yea 7's are what I have here , was for putting them into the classic , if I have any issues when mapping I'll move to the colder plug but the current 6's should be ok for what I'm aiming for currently

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Ye really should change the half moons for all the price of them. You don't wanna build it all up and realise they haven't sealed properly.

brendy

RMS Regular
If they are still in the proper shape they'll be fine, its only if they have signs of perishing or dents from previously bad fitment that I'd worry about it and swap them out.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
If they are still in the proper shape they'll be fine, its only if they have signs of perishing or dents from previously bad fitment that I'd worry about it and swap them out.
Do they not go hard and lose their efficiency?

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Yea they cleaned up well and seemed dead on , they weren't cracked and I was careful to get them well threebonded before I did the rocker so I'm fairly sure they will be fine , if not it will be a time consuming lesson lol , but they will be grand

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Happened upon this exhaust system on eBay the dude was very reluctant to post it and it took me about a week of coaxing at him before he agreed
Subaru Impreza Turbo Turbo Back Sports Exhaust Package

Its in very good nick going by the photos and not very old, it has a resonated center pipe and baffled tail pipe so should be reasonably quiet but still good and free flowing.

Its classic impreza fitment so will need one hanger cut and rewelded in a different position , but will be going to @PeteMoore to get a bung for my wideband welded in the downpipe anyway so can get him to look at it for me when im there (y)

IMG_9481.PNG
IMG_9482.PNG
IMG_9483.PNG
IMG_9484.PNG
IMG_9485.PNG
IMG_9487.PNG

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
With the rockers done last weekend i hit the Timing belt and pulleys this weekend, pulled the old belt , pulleys and tensioner off
IMG_9498.JPG

fitted the new pulleys and tensioner
IMG_9499.JPG

fitted the new belt , lining up the pulleys for timing

IMG_9501.JPG

IMG_9502.JPG

IMG_9503.JPG

IMG_9506.JPG

IMG_9507.JPG

replaced the covers and crank pulley

IMG_9508.JPG

IMG_9510.JPG

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
With the engine on the stand now seemed like a good time to swap in my STI injectors, to be honest i wont really need them with the turbo i am running, but they will give good head room if i go any further with the car in the future, and wont have any detrimental effect in the mean time.
The swap isnt hard, but would be ultra fiddly with the engine in , much easier on the stand
IMG_9511.JPG

IMG_9512.JPG

The Standard WRX injectors are 420cc the Sti Pinks are 550cc

IMG_9513.JPG

IMG_9514.JPG

IMG_9515.JPG

IMG_9516.JPG

IMG_9519.JPG

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Last big job (or so i thought) was the rear crank seal, these are fairly notorious for weeping and the bell housing was a mess.
IMG_9520.JPG

Started by cleaning up the mess

IMG_9521.JPG

then pulled the old seal out
IMG_9522.JPG

and refitted a new one.

IMG_9524.JPG

the flywheel bolts had been mangled at some stage in the past, so i had new ones ordered and got them installed and torqued to spec

IMG_9526.JPG

IMG_9525.JPG

IMG_9528.JPG

brendy

RMS Regular
With the engine on the stand now seemed like a good time to swap in my STI injectors, to be honest i wont really need them with the turbo i am running, but they will give good head room if i go any further with the car in the future, and wont have any detrimental effect in the mean time.
The swap isnt hard, but would be ultra fiddly with the engine in , much easier on the stand
View attachment 144331
View attachment 144332

The Standard WRX injectors are 420cc the Sti Pinks are 550cc

View attachment 144333

View attachment 144334

View attachment 144335

View attachment 144336

View attachment 144337
Keep an eye on the sti pinks, back right (pass side), I had to refit it twice as it kept weeping even though it was in seemingly flush but I think it's just an angle thing, probably the most awkward of the 4 for me.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Should have changed the small centre bearing for all the price of it. I have a new one here in Lisburn if you want it.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Should have changed the small centre bearing for all the price of it. I have a new one here in Lisburn if you want it.
You mean spigot bearing In the flywheel Stu?

Last edited:

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
With all the engine stuff done i was pretty much ready to drop the engine back in , but i had noticed a bit of "surface rust" on the lower panel and thought it would be best to hit it with the grinder and some POR15 to stop it falling to bits..

now i had been well warned that these were danger areas for the bugeye , when i was going to view the car, by @scubbay and a few others, i thought i had been fairly thorough when poking around.. but i was wrong

This is looking down on the lower front panel from in the engine bay

FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_9530 2.JPG

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
The last piece of the rot coming out
IMG_9573.JPG

The remainder of the front panel as it is now
IMG_9574.JPG

All the rotten metal
IMG_9575.JPG

This is the replacement panel on order, should be here at the end of the week

IMG_9577.PNG
IMG_9578.PNG

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Yea not much I could do really , should have looked more closely when I was buying , but I wouldn't sell it on to anyone in that shape and to be fair it might not even made it through the next MOT in that's state , so no choice but to fix it up really

At least I'll know what I have when I'm done lol