Dashcams and Dashcam Footage

Steve C

RMS Regular
OP
Steve C
Footage will be invaluable there, and get a stronger mount. Not sure if it could be debated about fault there, but it is a reminder that green or not, always check first

What did the other car say ? Where police called ? Did you tell him you had footage of him running the red light ?

There's just no way, he ran a red light, he also admitted liability. See the van on my right? It moved off at the same time as me and it obscured my view. He almost hit it.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Well, it seems almost normal that people admit things at the scene, and then when claim companies/insurance comes in the story changes... What was said by the roadside has no bearing on anything, just your word against theirs...

But - that video should be very useful. Will be interesting to see how that plays out with your insurer. Keep us posted (without prejudicing your cause, obviously) (y)

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
Mine arrived today. Seems decent for the money:

BlackVIEW camera with warm tips advising not to use shoddy storage cards ^o)

I've taped over the white LED with some black electrical tape for a more stealthy look.

View attachment 65067

I'll upload a video in fading light for anyone interested later on.

Link to buy for anyone interested (may be cheaper on eBay):

Anyone know how to get a MK4 Golf cig lighter to go on and off with the ignition?
This one!

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
What do I need to consider when looking for one of these cameras? Got ran off the road by another truck the other day, they time has come.
Obv in a truck, one with a rear facing cam is useless, also my average journey time is between 10 and 15 hours, can I record that much? And also would like some sort of gps with speed indicator etc.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
What do I need to consider when looking for one of these cameras? Got ran off the road by another truck the other day, they time has come.
Obv in a truck, one with a rear facing cam is useless, also my average journey time is between 10 and 15 hours, can I record that much? And also would like some sort of gps with speed indicator etc.

The DOD LS460W will do what you need ( single camera only ). It has built in GPS, and depending on quality a 32gb card will hold up to about 9 hours on 720HD

On 1080 or 720 60fps it will hold about 7 hours I think.

They do offer 64gb cards though. But you really dont need most of the journey, the camera overwrites old files, and as mentioned earlier you can secure a file at the touch of a button so it wont get deleted.

Not sure how good the built in gps antenna might be though depending on where you mount the camera. I bought the 360W and plug in antenna for GPS and on a few occasions it has lost signal. I stuck the antenna to the back of the interior mirror, high on the windscreen. The lead on it isnt really long enough to route down to say the middle of the base of the windscreen.
But video and sound quality from the 360W is great ( Ive removed sound from the above clips as it consists of lots of swearing :grinning: )

The GPS only seems to record long/let details on screen, but if you use DOD's own viewing software it will display speed and also pop up a window with google maps and the position on screen

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Can't grab a video of the viewing software, so here's a screenshot.

31923.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
also my average journey time is between 10 and 15 hours, can I record that much?

No need to record that much. Most of these "dash cameras" record on a loop, and then save the last X minutes at the press of a button. In some cases they even save automatically if it detects an impact. As those saved files are short (you would really only need 5-10 minutes for each "incident"), there is plenty of space for lots of incidents.

Also no need to go mad on resolution. Even on the GoPro I never go more than 720/30, and you get loads of recording time at that level. Recoding times quickly drop off after that, and battery life too.

Reactions: dub

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Collection of Assholes on the road over past couple of days

I have no issue at all with the lorry. They need more than a lane to manoeuvre, and there are literally miles of dead angles when turning an artic. If you cannot see the cab, then they cannot see you. At all. They have no idea you are there. I always leave them plenty of space.

The rest were funny, lol - if somebody can do something stupid, they usually do, so just assume they will :grinning:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I have no issue at all with the lorry. They need more than a lane to manoeuvre, and there are literally miles of dead angles when turning an artic. If you cannot see the cab, then they cannot see you. At all. They have no idea you are there. I always leave them plenty of space.

The rest were funny, lol - if somebody can do something stupid, they usually do, so just assume they will :grinning:

That's the Moira roundabout, I've driven around it thousands of times alongside lorries. Never once have any exhibited such pathetic driving and lane discipline. It wasnt a mini roundabout !
And it's made worse by him having no clue what indicators are for ! If he cannot see due to blind spots, he shouldnt be changing lanes. It's downright dangerous driving.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
More importantly, the flat out skoda octavia, was it even foggy??

The camera has a magical fog filter, it makes peasoup fog, appear totally clear.

The strangest bit about people like that....she had plenty of opportunity to pass in front of me, and there was a fairly large clear section behind too. So she had no need whatsoever to do what she did.

As for fog lights..who said front fogs dont dazzle ? Although this guy is a double asshole who never has his headlights aligned, or has those stupid DIY HID's ( no idea about washers )
And baring in mind the camera is at the top of a high windscreen, above head height, so no way in hell should it receive such glare.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Moira exit is past the 12 o'clock position on the sign approaching that roundabout from the glenavy road, so technically you should have been in the right hand lane yourself @stevieturbo :-P

Nonsense, the two lanes are clearly marked the entire way, and I did not at any time change lane, staying in my and the correct lane throughout.

The rule you are attempting to use, is for unmarked roundabouts, and even then is not by any means law.

endofreak

RMS Regular
Drives
Triumph Speed Tr
There are no directional markings on the roundabout so the sign in approach dictates traffic flow.

I don't agree with it myself, makes more sense to use the left lane for moira. What really baffles me is the amount of people approaching the roundabout from the moira side that use the left lane for the lisburn exit.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
she had plenty of opportunity to pass in front of me, and there was a fairly large clear section behind too.

But then she would have lost at least 5 seconds, and probably 2 places in her "queue", and been late for the hairdresser :p :innocent:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That's the Moira roundabout, I've driven around it thousands of times alongside lorries. Never once have any exhibited such pathetic driving and lane discipline.

As much as I love you Stevie, but that one is as silly as the "cyclists/tractors/caravans/whatever should jump off the road to let me past" we get from others here from time to time.

So maybe this guy was not familiar with this roundabout, or whatever. Who cares. We all know big artics need lots of room, sometimes have to cross lanes, and most of the time can see absolutely nothing in a roundabout. Big deal.

And we all know that NOBODY knows how to use indicators in multilane crossings or roundabouts. Learner drivers frequently get it wrong, and that is with an "instructor" on board for Pete's sake, lol.

Just give them room. They are bigger anyway, so we can only lose :p

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Majority of road users have no idea of the 12 o'clock rule ... r'about discipline sucks in NI

That's because there is no such "rule"

There maybe guidance which will of course vary with road markings and roundabout design, but it is not a rule.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
As much as I love you Stevie, but that one is as silly as the "cyclists/tractors/caravans/whatever should jump off the road to let me past" we get from others here from time to time.

So maybe this guy was not familiar with this roundabout, or whatever. Who cares. We all know big artics need lots of room, sometimes have to cross lanes, and most of the time can see absolutely nothing in a roundabout. Big deal.

And we all know that NOBODY knows how to use indicators in multilane crossings or roundabouts. Learner drivers frequently get it wrong, and that is with an "instructor" on board for Pete's sake, lol.

Just give them room. They are bigger anyway, so we can only lose :p

Yes, but his own lane had more than enough room for him and his big lorry...he was even in it for a brief period before he decided to try my lane for a bit. So there is no argument about him maybe needing room, the right lane he started in, and almost finished in had plenty.

He had no need whatsover to move into a lane where he couldnt see where is was going, and doing so could easily be seen as dangerous driving.

As for learners...or instructors. Some of them havent even a clue about lights ! Seen one the other morning, pretty poor conditions and no lights on at all...despite most other vehicles on the road having theirs on. If instructors dont teach proper road use, what chance have some learners ?