Detailing Virgin

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

anlygi

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR
Right. After the euro hand jobbers missing a part of my bonnet and tailgate i have decided that i am gonna have a whack at this detailing lark myself. May as well if im gonna start washing it myself.

I am going to halfords at the weekend and would like a shopping list.

I have never waxed/polished before and have previously washed with a sponge.

What shampoo and wax combination should i get as well as the tools to do the job by hand. Preferably something quite easy on a first timer with a decent finish and what do i need to apply it?

So far on my shopping list is: Microfiber wash mitt, 2 B&Q orange buckets.

So, shampoo, wax and whatever else, recommendations please! (Must be available at Halfords.

Cheers. My car is red if that matters.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
best sticking to meguires and autoglym for beginners

wash it, use megs soap or anything will be fine

Polish - Auotglym Super Resin Polish

Then Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine

Then a decent wax, from Halford best you'll probably get it
Meguires Tech Wax

thats what id be doing anyway

Baz C

Banned
turtle wax zip wax, few sponges and one bucket, chamois and a bottle of autoglym super resin and some clothes. all you need to get started, Don't listen to all this you need 4 buckets and a virgin lambswool mitt

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Don't be starting this two bucket lark. Seems a load of rubbish to be honest. Rinse your sponge out with the hose if the panels really that dirty.

Baz C

Banned
best sticking to meguires and autoglym for beginners

wash it, use megs soap or anything will be fine

Polish - Auotglym Super Resin Polish

Then Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine

Then a decent wax, from Halford best you'll probably get it
Meguires Tech Wax

thats what id be doing anyway

super resin or deep shine both aren't needed, i'd go with super resin because its better and for finishing autoglym extra gloss. Tech wax is total ****e (y)

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Kill two birds with one stone and mix super resin with ultra gloss protection, gives a decent enough shine for not too much effort.

Baz C

Banned
i dont think so, i find it decent once you get timing it right

straight on straight off and its good enough

obviously doesnt compare to other waxes, but the lad wants it all tommorrow

its pure ****e and not even a "wax", if you must have a meguiars product, the 3rd stage pure carnuba wax. But best bet is still autogylm extra gloss, but i don't know as much as you lad :worried:

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
And I've always found that Autoglym Ultra Deep shine (or Supreme Polish as I buy it) is better than Super Resin, but thats just my preference. Cuts better and the finish lasts longer imo. To be fair though, the stuff you buy in shops is mainly rubbish. Trade products are usually alot better

Baz C

Banned
If only ultra deep shine was as good as supreme, its like pish compared to it

Baz C

Banned
I though Ultra Deep was the retail version of Supreme?

I thought this too, but my autoglym rep told me that it was a "watered" down version, Just like super resin is "watered" down radiant wax. He told me add 1/3 water to radiant wax and you have super resin :p

-Pete-

RMS Regular
baz and metro- the anti detailing pose!

i disagree completely about the two bucket method being pish. it certainly makes a very noticeable improvement over a single bucket wash and results are clear to see. it makes perfect logical sense too. its hardly rocket science.

you wash your cars how you like and let everyone else wash theres how they like. christ!

can we see some pictures of your own cars/work too?genuinely interested becuase if you are using different methods as opposed to the "inferior" methods that others like myself use, then please do show us the light and why we are so clearly wasting our time with our virgin lambswool wash mitts etc ^o) ;)

kthanxbye

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
i can highly recommend baz, seen lots of his work and its all top class

look through his profile and find the threads hes started

lee-r33

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 Skyline
surely if your using two buckets you would be best to use two wash mitts?

tech wax is ****e lol i use megs speed detailer followed by megs spray wax its great job. other than that i use ultra deep shine

Baz C

Banned
2006_05010003.jpg

bucket and sponge defitely wrecks paint

Johnski

RMS Regular
baz and metro- the anti detailing pose!

i disagree completely about the two bucket method being pish. it certainly makes a very noticeable improvement over a single bucket wash and results are clear to see. it makes perfect logical sense too. its hardly rocket science.

you wash your cars how you like and let everyone else wash theres how they like. christ!

can we see some pictures of your own cars/work too?genuinely interested becuase if you are using different methods as opposed to the "inferior" methods that others like myself use, then please do show us the light and why we are so clearly wasting our time with our virgin lambswool wash mitts etc ^o) ;)

kthanxbye

Your post could have been worded a bit better there pete, this is exactly why i feel sorry for people wanting to start out as they seem faced with people arguing and sarcasim which doesnt help the person looking advice.

I'm also sick of the term 'detailer'. Theres room for constructive conversation about what methods and what good products to use but theres some people who think they know it all put people down and jump to defend their 'own' methods when sometimes these can be wrong.

I've used nearly every wax under the sun and to add to the tech wax debate i think its ****e.(y) As said i'd use super resin to begin with as you'll get an idea of the intial effort you have to put in to polish/wax your car to a standard you like.

I've spent countless hours polishing/waxing my cars to the point where my arms nearly falling off but its all been worth it in the end.

Get meguiars gold class shampoo, some super resin and some good polishing cloths, only other thing i can say is try ultra deep shine and see what you think(y)

tim

RMS Regular
LMAO!

I have to say not that it does make an amazing amount of difference unless the car is absolutely stinking, but I believe its better to than not to.

It just reduces the risk in creating swirls or scratch's which will then lead to wanting to buff the car and removing more and more clear coat....

So for me its because I dont want to run out of clear coat in the future and have to get the car relacquered or resprayed...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.