Done for number plates what a joke?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
It's the same size on both the front and the rear. How is a normal sized number plate even meant to fit inside a JDM rear bumper?!

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
It's the same size on both the front and the rear. How is a normal sized number plate even meant to fit inside a JDM rear bumper?!

Now is your font different in any form or is it cause the numbers/letters are up inside the bumper a touch???

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
nope, the font seems to be exactly the same and the numbers are clearly visible on the plate.

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
I came back to my car today to find a big fat fixed penalty notice stuck to the windscreen. It was soaking so I went down to Carrick Copshop to see what it was for and they explained that it was for the rear number plates and that it had been issued by Traffic Branch. So some sad ******* Traffic Branch peeler has got out of their car and walked around the back of the car to check what my rear plate is like. If I knew how to take it further and appeal it I would?

Where were you parked when this happened?

Glad to hear the police were busy. ^o)

jamesy

Ghost

RMS Regular
I came back to my car today to find a big fat fixed penalty notice stuck to the windscreen. It was soaking so I went down to Carrick Copshop to see what it was for and they explained that it was for the rear number plates and that it had been issued by Traffic Branch. So some sad ******* Traffic Branch peeler has got out of their car and walked around the back of the car to check what my rear plate is like. If I knew how to take it further and appeal it I would?

Why would you take it further and appeal?

If the plates are illegal, then a fine is deserved. If the bumper is too small to fit the plate, then the bumper should be modified to fit the correct, legal plate?

Let me know how the appeal goes dude.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Either the font is correct, or it isnt. So if yours was squashed slightly, then it is illegal. All cars have enough room, it might be for a normal rectangular plate, or a square plate. But there is room.

But holy good f**k. If thats the sort of car crime the cops are having to stoop to, what next !!!!

They want to drive round some of their own stations, and slap on some fines then. That would save them even leaving the station !!

Has all the real/serious crime finally come to a stop, that they are trawling the streets and car parks looking for illegal number plates ?

B A Baracus

RMS Regular
Drives
Fergie TVO
Over the past 2 weeks, Ive had the pleasure of entering certain premesis at different locations around the country, where of course, you would expect every car to be fully legal.
So far, I have seen dozens of cars with illegal plates on these premesis. I think there is a slight element of hypocrisy somewhere for cops to be hammering civilians for illegal number plates, when so many of their own private cars wear illegal plates.

And a lot of them are Traffic Branch :-#

I really cant understand why one of the best funded Police Forces in the UK would buy ANPR software which is unable to read non-standard plates.

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
i had the metro font on my car for 7 months now and never ever got stopped once lol

M@tt B

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx S14
Yes i got stopped there on sat night for the plates, been on for a year with me and 2 with previous owner and neither of us have ever been stopped for them. Just as you are heading up the back road into carrick they where doing spot checks. Guy was dead on about it just explained that my plates where correct font etc but the font size was too small. His mate then proceeded to walk around my car and check them but decided to let me go on which i was more than happy with but told me to get my plates changed :worried: Think i might just stick on the standard plates again saves me the hassle in the future.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Havent read the whole thread, but is it just a fine for having an illegal plate, or points too?

rybo

RMS Regular
Just to give you an idea...

Take a camcorder, keep it in a static position and see what a number plate looks like on a car driving by at 60 or 70 miles per hour.

Now factor in different heights from the ground, different positions on the road, dirt, different lighting conditions & shadows etc. Or the camera mounted in a moving vehicle.

Its a fairly amazing feat that someone has produced a system capoable of reading plates at all, never mind considering smaller, fatter or closer spaced digits/letters.

There's no need to procure software capable of reading non-standard plates. There shouldn't be any on the road. There's no need for them. The numbers are fast decreasing now due to the push on enforcement.

And for the 'usual suspects' who'll cry "revenue generation scheme" there's a very easy way to thwart such a plot... put legal plates on & no-one can take a penny from you. Easy.

2002 Tii

Banned
And for the 'usual suspects' who'll cry "revenue generation scheme" there's a very easy way to thwart such a plot... put legal plates on & no-one can take a penny from you. Easy.
Don't say that too loud else you'll not be getting the champagne at the PSNI christmas do this year (n)

2002 Tii

Banned
Baracus has a valid point, you say the ANPR can't read non-standard letters, yet when it picks up this text, the blues and twos are on....

dunkindonuts.jpg

brendy

RMS Regular
Its not rocket science to have a camera capable of 1/100 or motion video 100 fps, that would be sufficient to capture a fairly good picture and enable software of recognising the plate.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.