Done for number plates what a joke?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

rybo

RMS Regular
You're missing the point here - why should taxpayers have to shell out for a different system just so a small minority of drivers can indulge their desire to have substandard plates & be allowed to do so?

The original legislation was introduced so that number plates could be read visually by people from a reasonable distance. That still applies. So fancy software systems for 'fancy' plates is not required. These plates aren't allowed, shouldn't be on vehicles & will be dealt with by enforcement on an increasing basis.

I know it isn't popular within the modified car scene but this is just one of those things that, at the moment, is not likely to change due to the many valid reasons why a minimum standard should be maintained.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
i have had a decent sized metro font from my first car (8 years ago) and been stopped a few times for speeding, check points, cruises back in the day etc and only once was i questioned about the plate and the cop said "actually it's not as bad as i thought it was so dont worry about it", stopped for doing 87mph at a busy time, let off with the speeding and never even mentioned the tiny plate on the megane at the time which confused me

the megane had a smaller font than normal on the front with an inch in height took off the plate split top & bottom making it fit the recess and look a lot tidyer and never once was i pulled about what i deemed a very illegal plate

also on metro fonts i got a ticket for speeding so i presume the camera vans dont use an anpr system?

ricky_t

RMS Regular
Drives
M3Cx
camera vans are a laser gun hooked up to a camera to record plates as far as i know

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
You're missing the point here - why should taxpayers have to shell out for a different system just so a small minority of drivers can indulge their desire to have substandard plates & be allowed to do so?

The original legislation was introduced so that number plates could be read visually by people from a reasonable distance. That still applies. So fancy software systems for 'fancy' plates is not required. These plates aren't allowed, shouldn't be on vehicles & will be dealt with by enforcement on an increasing basis.

I know it isn't popular within the modified car scene but this is just one of those things that, at the moment, is not likely to change due to the many valid reasons why a minimum standard should be maintained.

Why should tax payers be paying for ANPR cameras in the first place ? I dont recall being asked if I wanted my hard earned money spent on them ?
I'd hate to know how much is being spent at present. It must be hundreds of thousands, if not millions putting these up all over the country.

As for enforcement of illegal plates. Go drive round a few police station car parks. Bring plenty of ticket books, you'll need them. Some have mild fonts, some wild.

pablo

RMS Moderator
indeed stevie noone asked for my blessing on this nanny state technology.

seems Im just meant to pay my taxes and take whatever crap the govt decides I need to pay for, for my protection.

democracy is a total ass

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Surely there is enough revenue generated from hammering the motorists over the years to cover the cost of this anyway...

Anyway, its not particularly smart to run modified plates, I don't see the problem with standard ones.

MA77Y

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi a4 s line
well i got standard plates and got stopped last night and the officer said we are just doing a crack down on number plates and i said thats no probs cause theres nothing wrong with mine. then he asked where these plates on the car when past mot. so he checked my mot disc and said he would be able to find out if they where. my plates are perfectly standard no different font are anything

B A Baracus

RMS Regular
Drives
Fergie TVO
Rybo thats a load of bollocks mate, when placing an order for the ANPR software it shouldve been in the specification that it had to be able to read non standard plates. At the time of ordering this wouldnt have cost anymore money but it would cost the PSNI money now to change it.

MA77Y

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi a4 s line
so what now if you have std plates you get treated like a criminal too?

yea i was shocked getting asked about my num plates. obvs cause im a young driver in a modified car.

avo5021

RMS Regular
Why should tax payers be paying for ANPR cameras in the first place ? I dont recall being asked if I wanted my hard earned money spent on them ?
I'd hate to know how much is being spent at present. It must be hundreds of thousands, if not millions putting these up all over the country.

As for enforcement of illegal plates. Go drive round a few police station car parks. Bring plenty of ticket books, you'll need them. Some have mild fonts, some wild.

I know it wouldnt happen in the station i work in a sthe inspector would issue you with a ticket if you dont heed his first verbal warning, i have seen police officers dealt with that drive into certain stations though..

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
got passed last night by a silver ep3 shape civic..

rear plate read UNINSURED ... oh how i tittered away.

rybo

RMS Regular
Rybo thats a load of bollocks mate, when placing an order for the ANPR software it shouldve been in the specification that it had to be able to read non standard plates. At the time of ordering this wouldnt have cost anymore money but it would cost the PSNI money now to change it.

No, you're just not getting this. If I haven't explained it well enough I apologise.

There is no need for a software system capable of reading silly number plates. These plates will attract the attention of RPU officers who will deal with them as an offence. Even if/when ANPR software is upgraded or replaced & it can read digits half standard size, the mk1 human eye cannot be upgraded to do likewise, so the regulations remain.

It was an offence before ANPR was even thought about, and remains an offence now. No matter what argument you put up for 'non-standard plates', the main reason is, as everyone knows, to cosmetically improve the look of your car. That, in the eyes of the law, is not a sound reason for changing the regulations.

Look guys, I'm just giving out fair warning that enforcement of these regulations is being stepped up. You can argue & complain all day every day about it, but you cannot say you haven't been told.
I don't like to hear of fellow site members being ticketed or prosecuted - so if you want to take the risk, that's a decision for yourselves. I personally don't see the need for non-standard plates. I support and participate in the enforcement campaign. If we didn't maintain standards, you can just imagine the degree of stupidity some motorists would go to to look 'different'.

OLLIeCrX

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
on that note, i did also see a stupid plate today. not the exact plate but it was similar to this

R12EDA

seriously... fat bold letter and thin skinny numbers... absolute piss take

2002 Tii

Banned
oinkoinkmetro.jpg

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW

How wrong you are. What harm is it having a smaller font plate on your car, so long as it isnt an obscene unreadable font, i mean like metro plates are fine they definitely enhance the look of a car the standard ones are just plain ugly, i dont care as long as im on the road i'll never have a standard plate on my car.

rybo

RMS Regular
Ok just remember to state that after caution... magistrates just love people who don't care.

avo5021

RMS Regular
You will only pay it twice then your registration will be removed from you, you will then have to reregister your car and apply for a new number at a cost to yourself...

How does a Metro font enhance the look of the car...? or are your eyes that bad..?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.