Drink Driving Laws

What way shopuld the drink drive laws be?

• leave the laws as they are

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • change the laws for under 25's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a zero tolerance policy across the board for all drivers

Votes: 43 79.6%

• Total voters
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

tim

RMS Regular
wingnut said:
Avo I assume you are in Traffic?

Is there any way at all the average joe can check thier alcohol level? My main worry is always that if I've had a few drinks the night before and feel OK, but I might still be over the limit. Nowadays I tend not to take the car out until the following evening just to make sure.

yes wingnut, if you drink in the royal oak in carrick that is :p

police right nextdoor to it, so one night i walked round, got breathalized, passed (althou amber) and drove home!

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Handy enough! Once heard a story (probably police camera action) about someone who pulled over on the motorway and rang the police saying they reckoned they were over the limit. Needless to say the police came and breathalised them and gave them a lift back.

tim

RMS Regular
so basically got himself done for drink driving? or did he get off as there was no actual proof he was driving the car?

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
No, he got done for it. Obviously in a right state to do that in the first place.

avo5021

RMS Regular
That was the advice i was gonna give.. only accurate devices would be the police machines which are calibrated regularly..

Yes in Traffic..

In regard to Mouth Wash etc, if you are stopped for a PBT (Preliminary Breath Test) you are asked certain questions, one of them being about mouth washes or having a drink in the past 20 minutes, you can opt to wait 20 minutes for the mouth alcohol to disperse otherwise the alcohol in the mouth would possibly put the reading over.

tim

RMS Regular
i've been pulled over and breathlized 3 times, and i've never been asked that, only if i've had a smoke or a drink in the 20mins... never mouth wash ...

what is the significance of cigarettes?

avo5021

RMS Regular
Oh and if you do think you are over the limit and decide to sleep in the car you can still be done for DIC, Drunk in charge of a motor vehicle...

If you are in the car and you have the keys on your person or nearby you are still in charge of your vehicle... this is not worth it either, a very easy way to lose the books...

avo5021

RMS Regular
The prescence of any substance in the mouth can affect the reading..

Forgot there.. mouth wash isnt asked over here that was back home...

But you should state that really if you think it could affect the reading, if you did blow over the mouthwash shouldnt affect the big machine in the station though as it should have dispersed by the time you get there..

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Always wondered that about sitting in the car over the limit.

I was taknig cough medicine for a while which apparently was 7 percent alcohol. I was a bit worried incase I somehow exceeded the limit and lost the books through cough medicine!

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
I once heard from somewhere that an hour after drinking a pint, it takes an hour per unit - so it misses an hour before it starts breaking down

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
i didn't know that if you were sleeping in your car after a few drinks that you could get done! i think thats crazy!!

but i suppose some people would still be tempted to drive!

pablo

RMS Moderator
Sir Sax said:
1 drink just leaves you crying out for more so zero tolerance.

Total rubbish. Going out "for one" can be done. I usually meet a mate for a pint and a yarn. I enjoy a nice pint so I have one (usually pick a weakish one stella is off the menu lol) when we get down then a coke or two after. Never ever chance 2 pints - I love driving too much!

Brendan

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus 16v ZeTak
Is it true that "Red Bull" can put you over the drug limit as it contains so much caffine.......

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Zero Tolerance. Why take a chance on the aggro and grief all for the sake of just one pint of beer? Hardly worth it. The reason that drink driving is such a problem is that many drinkers place the importance of their social life and temptation to drink over that of their safety and safety of others - some people really need to take a look at themselves and work out their priorities.

Gaz

Porter

RMS Regular
Gaz said:
Zero Tolerance. Why take a chance on the aggro and grief all for the sake of just one pint of beer? Hardly worth it. The reason that drink driving is such a problem is that many drinkers place the importance of their social life and temptation to drink over that of their safety and safety of others - some people really need to take a look at themselves and work out their priorities.

Gaz

couldnt agree more :party: (y)

BurntCarcus

RMS Regular
Drives
Scenic TomTom
Zero Tolerance, as said before, it can affect different people in different ways. For me i dont drink, maybe 1 pint a year at a wedding or something. After one pint my face goes red and i giggle alot and i would be in no state to drive.

pablo

RMS Moderator
obviously if you know you cant handle one pint then you shouldnt do it. legal or not.

as for zero tolerence how can one adhere to this with no method of self testing?

BurntCarcus

RMS Regular
Drives
Scenic TomTom
There are methods of self testing out there, plus if you know its zero tolerence then dont drink alcohol.....simple

pablo

RMS Moderator
what about a pint at lunch then driving home at 5?
or 4-5 pints on a sat night and driving on sunday morning?

you zero tolerence guys really need to think this one through a bit.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Would agree with Pablo on this one. Zero tolerance is total overkill. I think the legal limit should be lower than it is at the moment, according to that link BA posted, I would be allowed 4 shots of whiskey and still be legal!

BurntCarcus

RMS Regular
Drives
Scenic TomTom
pablo said:
what about a pint at lunch then driving home at 5?
or 4-5 pints on a sat night and driving on sunday morning?

you zero tolerence guys really need to think this one through a bit.

Would you have a clear conscious if you had 4-5 pints on saturday night and drove home sunday morning and killed someone? Thats something you would need to think about.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.