Drink Driving Laws

What way shopuld the drink drive laws be?

• leave the laws as they are

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • change the laws for under 25's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a zero tolerance policy across the board for all drivers

Votes: 43 79.6%

• Total voters
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

pablo

RMS Moderator
my point is how do you know when the alcohol content of your blood is at 0? There are NO devices available that will tell you this accurately. Going into a police station is the only way.

If I had a few pints on sat night and killed someone on sunday morning then Id have to weigh up if the trivial amount of alcohol in my body was to blame or not. Or was it one of the other ONE MILLION things that can cause an accident.

Having a small amount of alcohol in your body does not make you a criminal imo. Does driving at 72mph on the motorway make you a speed demon?

BurntCarcus

RMS Regular
Drives
Scenic TomTom
my point is if i had no alcohol in my system i would be 100% sure that my driving wasnt impaired and the accident was down to one of the other ONE MILLION reasons. There are 2 main reasons i dont drink
a) I need to be able to drive at any time incase of emergency, be it my kids need to go to hospital etc etc
b) it taste minging lol
if you could be postitive the alcohol didnt play a part in an accident then fair play to you. Its your call up to a certain limit. I'd prefer not to risk it hence why i voted zero tolerence. Better to be safe that sorry imo.

pablo

RMS Moderator
your driving can be impaired in lots of ways - tiredness, sickness etc yet millions still drive under these conditions. Should we have zero tolerence on them too? Sorry sir you didnt get 8hrs sleep last night - youre losing the books. Or sorry madam, that a cold you have? yr ban for you.

If youre saying dont drink at all ever then thats a different thing and your own lifestyle choice. You shouldnt try to force it on others though unless there is a significant risk.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Zero tolerance wont work simple as that...
Not only that it wont be brought into law either.

Theres nothing wrong with going out having one pint, taking your time drinking it and chatting. If you are tempted to have more thats your own perogative...

Some people CAN actually go out and take ONE pint, some people like standing with a pint...

saxo_man

RMS Regular
pablo said:
your driving can be impaired in lots of ways - tiredness, sickness etc yet millions still drive under these conditions. Should we have zero tolerence on them too? Sorry sir you didnt get 8hrs sleep last night - youre losing the books. Or sorry madam, that a cold you have? yr ban for you.

If youre saying dont drink at all ever then thats a different thing and your own lifestyle choice. You shouldnt try to force it on others though unless there is a significant risk.
I'm of the same opinion here. Zero tolerance is difficult to establish as everyone will metabolise the alcohol differently, it's down to some common sense from peeps. They should allow a small amount in the blood, and come down really hard on those who insist on ignoring the law

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
pablo said:
Total rubbish. Going out "for one" can be done. I usually meet a mate for a pint and a yarn.
It may be total rubbish to you, and yes you may be able to do it, but generally speaking i believe the majority will fit in the bracket where one leads to another and so on.
pablo said:
your driving can be impaired in lots of ways - tiredness, sickness etc yet millions still drive under these conditions. Should we have zero tolerence on them too?
well yes, pretty much.
I'm surprised at you pablo. Just because lots of ppl do it, does that make it right? Millions of ppl have been murdered over the years, doesn't make it 'ok' now does it?

pablo

RMS Moderator
lol - I mean why is a little bit tired ok and a little bit of alcohol not? Same result really. Hardly makes me a murderer does it?

Im not arguing for the limit to be raised and Im all for it being 2units and not 4 or whatever it is. What I dont want to see is a 0 limit. Its like saying you have to drive at the speedlimit but you have no speedo. And we all stick religiously to the speedlimit dont we? :^)

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
saxo_man said:
I'm of the same opinion here. Zero tolerance is difficult to establish as everyone will metabolise the alcohol differently, it's down to some common sense from peeps. They should allow a small amount in the blood, and come down really hard on those who insist on ignoring the law
Unless we're all medical experts then we haven't a clue about our metabolism, what your saying is one rule for you and another for everyone else. If we're all subject to the same rules then who can complain when something goes horribly wrong.

If you screw up at the wheel under any circumstances, you have yourselves to blame but you must take into account every other road user and pedestrian, as your playing with other peoples lives, not just your own.

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
pablo said:
lol - I mean why is a little bit tired ok and a little bit of alcohol not? Same result really. Hardly makes me a murderer does it?
I don't think it is ok to drive if your feeling tired, i agree with you on that.
Would make you no different to a murderer if you killed someone though, you didn't intentionally do it, but you didn't do much to prevent it imo.

pablo

RMS Moderator
saxo_man has a point really - some people can be half trollyed on 2pints and still be legal. Thats not a good scenario. As he says common sense has to prevail here.

Maybe the USA style touch your nose test wasnt so bad afterall??

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Sir Sax said:
I don't think it is ok to drive if your feeling tired, i agree with you on that.
Would make you no different to a murderer if you killed someone though, you didn't intentionally do it, but you didn't do much to prevent it imo.

So you never drive if you feel tired??

pablo

RMS Moderator
Sir Sax said:

PMSL! So if I have a long day in the office and am getting a little tired driving home Im a murderer? How tired is too tired? Flat out nodding off or a gentle yawn? Shall we have yawn cameras to trap dangerous drivers on the roads?

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
You boys are sciting way off topic, this is about drink-driving ;)

The point about someone having a couple of pints and still being within legal limits - the problem with that is, the guy next to him will be thinking "if he can do it, then so can i"

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
pablo said:
PMSL! So if I have a long day in the office and am getting a little tired driving home Im a murderer? How tired is too tired? Flat out nodding off or a gentle yawn? Shall we have yawn cameras to trap dangerous drivers on the roads?
pablo pablo...IF you killed someone...c'mon man read the post fs

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Oh come on, you have gotta be kidding!! Only once in my life have a been that tired whilst driving that I felt it was affecting my judgement, but it was late at night, the roads were empty and I was going well below the speed limit (motorway) and stopping for a rest wasnt an option, so I continued. If I didnt drive everytime I felt a bit tired I might as well sell my car and get the bus!

pablo

RMS Moderator
Sir Sax said:
The point about someone having a couple of pints and still being within legal limits - the problem with that is, the guy next to him will be thinking "if he can do it, then so can i"

then that person is stupid. fact.

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
Slideordie said:
Oh come on, you have gotta be kidding!! Only once in my life have a been that tired whilst driving that I felt it was affecting my judgement, but it was late at night, the roads were empty and I was going well below the speed limit (motorway) so I continued. If I didnt drive everytime I felt a bit tired I might as well sell my car and get the bus!
I'm not kidding, deadly serious, what gives me or you the right to go out in a 'deadly weapon' (the car) and drive it without feeling 100%.

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
pablo said:
then that person is stupid. fact.
Of course he is, but you must take in the fact that there are and always will be ppl out there like that, i'm noit saying you or i fit in that scenaro but lots of people do, and thats a fact.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
What is 100%? Would you recommend I do a few minutes of mind exercises before driving so I'm 100% alert to the absolute best of my brains ability? We really are getting a bit ridiculous here.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Slideordie said:
What is 100%? Would you recommend I do a few minutes of mind exercises before driving so I'm 100% alert to the absolute best of my brains ability? We really are getting a bit ridiculous here.

agreed. You are either some sort of monk or lying.

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
If you don't know when your feeling 100% then dear help you, because no-one is going to hold your hand and say..."there there dear, your feeling fine, off you go" Have to let go off mummies apron strings some day and start acting out your own responsiblities.

Well lads, i'm no monk i can assure you, it's your prerogative at the end of the day, do as you please. I believe in zero tolerance for drink driving and i've stated my views, so i'll leave it at that.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.