Drink driving: More than 550 have road ban reduced

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
A chance that someone might learn isn't really good enough though is it? If you haven't learned that drink driving is naughty by the time you're applying for a provisional, are you really capable of being a road user?

Having read an article (I can't find now) on a driver caught 3 times well over limit and pleading hardship/loss of job + and loss ability to care for his mother. 🤷

And as already said, a serious offender like that should see their license removed for a very long time.

But when you see the state of most sober drivers on the road....especially at this time of year. I do wonder what's going on, as clearly many of them are not capable of being safe road users ( including a lot of pedestrians and other vulnerable road users )

Reactions: Lee

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
And as already said, a serious offender like that should see their license removed for a very long time.

But when you see the state of most sober drivers on the road....especially at this time of year. I do wonder what's going on, as clearly many of them are not capable of being safe road users ( including a lot of pedestrians and other vulnerable road users )
Drivers with no licences still get behind the wheel, and it's only on good faith that the banned person won't drive or a 15yr old won't borrow their parents car.. It's not an effective system.

I agree with the latter entirely, there is some shocking behaviour from all user groups.

pablo

RMS Moderator
problem is its grand, grand, grand, grand, 1yr ban

reducing down to 9months for doing the course isnt a bad thing imo. I know someone who did it and they said it was a good thing. If you did your 1 year ban youd have learned nothing. A 9 month ban is still a significant punishment for someone, not to mention years of expensive car insurance etc following.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack

reducing down to 9months for doing the course isnt a bad thing imo. I know someone who did it and they said it was a good thing. If you did your 1 year ban youd have learned nothing. A 9 month ban is still a significant punishment for someone, not to mention years of expensive car insurance etc following.

How about 1yr ban, then the course too?

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often

Flip the coin. Had your friend killed or injured someone in the process, would a shorter ban or jail term be a good thing? Also, why had your friend not learned the risks of drink driving long before the course?

pablo

RMS Moderator
they teach things like calculating consumption etc and other stuff I cant remember. doing the year ban teaches ZERO about the effects etc. FWIW he was a morning after case so he is super cautious now about calculating drinks and when is safe to drive etc.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Just for reference y'all

1577101929521.png

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
they teach things like calculating consumption etc and other stuff I cant remember. doing the year ban teaches ZERO about the effects etc. FWIW he was a morning after case so he is super cautious now about calculating drinks and when is safe to drive etc.
I had a few last night, I'm not driving at all today... In fact I won't even be near the car or bike.

Done :grinning: It's soo easy to not drink and drive in the first place

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
Too drunk to recall, or just not been tested?

I’m all for heavier driving bans for drink drivers, especially those caught the next morning.

Why especially those caught the next day? I really do empathise with people who do the right thing, get a taxi home from the pub and get nabbed the next day, quite often just over the limit.

A mate was at a staff Christmas do a few years back in Belfast, got in at about 3:00am and when driving into work at around 5:00pm got stopped at shaftbury square, breathalysed and was just over the limit.

I think there should be an accurate breathalyser available to buy so you can tell if your over the limit or not the next day. I think they have something similar in France, where by law all vehicle's must have one on board.

We all express Alcohol dehydrogenase enzymes differently, each vechicle having a breathalyser in it would provide an informed approach to driving the next day and we could finally say “no excuse” with some justification.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Not linking to the advert ridden ****rag that is BELTEL, this is from an article today..

Eight people are caught drink or drug driving every day on Northern Ireland's roads.
More than 9,000 people were detected over the legal limit in the last three years.
One offender had a breath test reading of 181 microgrammes of alcohol in 100ml of breath - over five times the legal limit (35mg/100ml).
The youngest person caught over the limit was just 14 years old, even though the legal age to drive in Northern Ireland is 17. The oldest was 87.

Men are much more likely to be caught drink or drug driving - around four-fifths (80%) of those detected in each of the three years were male.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Why especially those caught the next day? I really do empathise with people who do the right thing, get a taxi home from the pub and get nabbed the next day, quite often just over the limit.

A mate was at a staff Christmas do a few years back in Belfast, got in at about 3:00am and when driving into work at around 5:00pm got stopped at shaftbury square, breathalysed and was just over the limit.

I think there should be an accurate breathalyser available to buy so you can tell if your over the limit or not the next day. I think they have something similar in France, where by law all vehicle's must have one on board.

We all express Alcohol dehydrogenase enzymes differently, each vechicle having a breathalyser in it would provide an informed approach to driving the next day and we could finally say “no excuse” with some justification.

Halfords have very accurate Alcosense ones.

No offence to your mate, but if he was still over the limit 14 hours later then I assume he consumed a fair amount of drink.

Slightly over the limit is still slightly over the limit, does it really matter if it's 2 pints & straight into the car, or 10 pints and into the car the next afternoon? There's this air of sympathy for those caught the next day as opposed to those who jump straight into a car from the bar, but despite best intentions the end result is the same is it not? As said above, perhaps it's an awareness issue but you would think after all the targeted warnings on TV and media over the years, people would know by now that you're at high risk of being caught the next day if you're consumed a lot.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Just for reference y'all

View attachment 260288

Whilst helpful in a ballpark figure sense that chart doesn’t take into account other variables like how your weight, age, genetic makeup and what you eat influence how quickly you metabolise alcohol.

A safer rule of thumb (as others have suggested) is to just not drive at all the day after.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Whilst helpful in a ballpark figure sense that chart doesn’t take into account other variables like how your weight, age, genetic makeup and what you eat influence how quickly you metabolise alcohol.

A safer rule of thumb (as others have suggested) is to just not drive at all the day after.

Totally agree, just stuck it up to give people a rough idea of just how long alcohol can linger

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Curious, why specifically those the next morning?

Because if you’re not going to drink in moderation, you should at least allow the next day to be a write off too as far as driving goes given how long it takes for the drink to get out of your system.

Just because you feel ok, doesn’t mean you are ok to drive, and your judgement and senses may still be impaired, so why be stupid enough to take the chance?

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
Because if you’re not going to drink in moderation, you should at least allow the next day to be a write off too as far as driving goes given how long it takes for the drink to get out of your system.

Just because you feel ok, doesn’t mean you are ok to drive, and your judgement and senses may still be impaired, so why be stupid enough to take the chance?

Totally agree, I just didn't get why specifically those the next day, as it doesn't matter if your doing it as soon as you step out of the pub or the following day, the risk and consequences are the same?

Possibly, pished people do silly things they normally wouldnt

Next morning they are sober enough to know there doing silly things ?

If they're old enough to drive and have a licence etc. then they should be wise enough to not drive no matter if they're pished or 1/2 sober.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Totally agree, I just didn't get why specifically those the next day, as it doesn't matter if your doing it as soon as you step out of the pub or the following day, the risk and consequences are the same?

If they're old enough to drive and have a licence etc. then they should be wise enough to not drive no matter if they're pished or 1/2 sober.

I was only adding a possible reason for nicky’s view.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
i met a checkpoint on the way back from Coleraine last night after work and then seen them out with the speed gun in Ballymoney as I past through.

I don’t think I haven’t seen as many out and about in the past 10 years.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Can't have been a bad crash if bottle and cup are still there, doesnt even look like any spilt.

Given all the contents in that picture, it looks setup.