EV and their range...

What real-world range would make you move to EV?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
And what doesn’t work for you works for many others. No rose tinted glasses, no bias just standing back and thinking objectively.

I've said it many times, it's possible to work for the majority. Living in towns doing little to no travel will work. To me an ev wouldn't put restrictions on my travel. There is a degree of tint. Until the government step in and charge you for charging points/mileage they have to recoup the fuel tax somewhere it isn't a clear picture.

Close to 21 billion lifted from fuel tax. Giving the ban on fuel cars coming. The majority will be in Evs to an extent where do they lift the revenue from then?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211111_124254_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211111_124254_com.android.chrome.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 32

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
By taxing the holes off those that are still driving ICE cars.

Or they'll introduce a green tax like Ireland has. €120 for all EV's.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I’m pretty sure I said this before on here but I’d be in a bev today if they weren’t so expensive. I was looking at PCP deals today and for a small bev like the Zoe or 208 EV you’re look at £5-6k up front and at the very least £280 per month. A bigger car is £350+ and there’s nothing at a good price second hand either.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
It all depends on your required mileage. In which case, any lease is expensive.

5k miles you can get an EV mini for £264 a month with £1750 down on lease.

E208, £329 a month, £2250 down.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I find the majority of people that think they won’t or can’t work haven’t owned one. I’ve done 3500 miles in 6 weeks, it hasn’t been hampered in anyway.

In fact on a trip down south the supercharger topped my car up quicker than I could have stopped for fuel. I plugged in, went to the loo and came out and it was good to go. It’s way less hassle plugging in that it is standing at a pump for 5 mins putting fuel in and then queuing to pay for it.

And as I have said I haven’t got a proper charger at home or at work yet, that is solely charging off the granny cable and stopping at public points. It is perfectly doable and is zero hassle.

My only regret is not getting one sooner, it is the best all round car I have ever owned. I had a run to Dungannon yesterday and took the M4 as it hadn’t been out in a while and it was a nice day. The whole time I wished I had just taken the Tesla as it just does that type of journey so much better than any other car I have driven.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news

I need 10k miles, a range of 200 miles and 5 doors so the mini is no good unfortunately they’re good money atm. I’d be looking to trade in the Passat too I’d need to save some money before I change anyway so it’s pointless looking doesn’t stop me though 🤣

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I've said it many times, it's possible to work for the majority. Living in towns doing little to no travel will work. To me an ev wouldn't put restrictions on my travel. There is a degree of tint. Until the government step in and charge you for charging points/mileage they have to recoup the fuel tax somewhere it isn't a clear picture.

Close to 21 billion lifted from fuel tax. Giving the ban on fuel cars coming. The majority will be in Evs to an extent where do they lift the revenue from then?

The charging is something to consider in a few years time, maybe. I don't see why that would influence a decision now unless you buy cars and keep them 15+ years. Most folk are going be in 2-3 year cycles. So if things change in a few years time you decide what the best option is then. @big_pete is munching the miles in his and last I checked hasn't been stranded anywhere and doubt he has the time to sit waiting for hours at a time charging his batteries. Not sure why others can't figure out how to manage it but there you go.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
The charging is something to consider in a few years time, maybe. I don't see why that would influence a decision now unless you buy cars and keep them 15+ years. Most folk are going be in 2-3 year cycles. So if things change in a few years time you decide what the best option is then. @big_pete is munching the miles in his and last I checked hasn't been stranded anywhere and doubt he has the time to sit waiting for hours at a time charging his batteries. Not sure why others can't figure out how to manage it but there you go.

Why would someone have to change to and ev when the milage is less they could be in a low year/ low milage car for a third of the price to sink into monthly repayments for 60k plus yes they is lower but half the country isn't going to be driving leafs. It works for salary schemes or self employed writing off but the typical pay in NI 27k I'd guess lower for most. Until they price it correctly granted it will be a few years to me it's not practical.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
As Bob said on the podcast, the Nissan Leaf v1 had a range of about 70 miles and now its 250. In 2-3 years time it could be 500.

That's it if the technology advances more I'm sure it will appeal/benefit the vast majority of people.

KevM

RMS Regular
A v1 Leaf is the sole reason I have dislike for EV

Thinking back, I moved house 8 years ago with an eNV200 and it was spot on.

That Ionic5 was a great wee car, id drive one daily no problem, but I can think of 45,000 reasons that it wont happen any time soon! lol

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
A v1 Leaf is the sole reason I have dislike for EV

Thinking back, I moved house 8 years ago with an eNV200 and it was spot on.

That Ionic5 was a great wee car, id drive one daily no problem, but I can think of 45,000 reasons that it wont happen any time soon! lol

But only a lunatic would buy one outright.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
And that’s the crux of it. Lot of other reasons thrown about but it’s the cost of them is the reason most will discount having one on the drive.

As I said earlier it rarely makes financial sense outside of a company car scheme.

KevM

RMS Regular
That's true. I'm lucky in that I haven't had to fund a daily in over 16 years now too.

But, when the market shifts to predominantly EV and we have a bulk of them to sell, instead of a handful, I will end up in one (if I stick the job that long).

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Why would someone have to change to and ev when the milage is less they could be in a low year/ low milage car for a third of the price to sink into monthly repayments for 60k plus yes they is lower but half the country isn't going to be driving leafs. It works for salary schemes or self employed writing off but the typical pay in NI 27k I'd guess lower for most. Until they price it correctly granted it will be a few years to me it's not practical.

It depends on what end of the spectrum you are comparing things I guess. People somehow draw a comparison to owning a cheaper car.

Maybe the Tesla is different in that it’s a premium car and I’m comparing it like for like ownership cost to another car it could compete with.

If I was to spec a new BMW M340d to the same spec as my Tesla (and there are things I can’t even put on that the tesla has)

The Beemer is £60k. With the same deposit the monthlies are pretty similar on HP too.

I then have to service, tax and fuel it.

Even if the BMW is doing 40mpg. The mileage I have done in the Tesla so far would have cost me £640ish on fuel. The tesla cost me €6 at the supercharger, all my rapids have been free. I need to work out what the difference is in electricity used at home but it’s quite minimal.

Or in other terms, over half the payment for the monthly on the tesla alone in fuel if I had bought another car priced the same.

Comparing it to just owning an older car or just getting a cheaper car instead is a mute arguement.

But in addition to the fortune the Tesla is saving me a month over another car of similar value, it also has more spec, it’s nicer to drive, it’s way way way faster, the tech is brilliant etc.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

E208, £329 a month, £2250 down.

Any idea what the impact is for say 20k miles?

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Taking one you'd actually want, Tesla Model 3 Long Range with no extras...

5k: £3500 down, £477/month 48 months
10k: £3500 down, £544/month 48 months
20k: £3500 down, £648/month 48 months

The Mini would be...

20k: £1750 down, £343/month 48 months

Zen Auto figures.

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Excellent piece on Radio Ulster yesterday were a member of EVANI had gone to Cork on a trip last week without issues in his EV. As stated the 0-60 times do not tell the whole story as even the most humble EV's will be quicker away from lights, roundabouts and junctions than diesel/petrol models (and I have owned them all) and it is more relaxing and safer too. Financially you would have to crunch the numbers for your individual circumstances but I know that the money I am saving in petrol is paying for my car loan (E Golf) and I have Economy 7, solar and batteries as well so it makes sense. I drove from Dungannon to Portrush return twice over last weekend with a bit of touring about and reckon it cost about £3.00 in fuel. This would normally have cost me £45.00 + in my petrol car. We do need more working accessible rapids in NI though as I would not like to be relying on public charging.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
It depends on what end of the spectrum you are comparing things I guess. People somehow draw a comparison to owning a cheaper car.

Maybe the Tesla is different in that it’s a premium car and I’m comparing it like for like ownership cost to another car it could compete with.

If I was to spec a new BMW M340d to the same spec as my Tesla (and there are things I can’t even put on that the tesla has)

The Beemer is £60k. With the same deposit the monthlies are pretty similar on HP too.

I then have to service, tax and fuel it.

Even if the BMW is doing 40mpg. The mileage I have done in the Tesla so far would have cost me £640ish on fuel. The tesla cost me €6 at the supercharger, all my rapids have been free. I need to work out what the difference is in electricity used at home but it’s quite minimal.

Or in other terms, over half the payment for the monthly on the tesla alone in fuel if I had bought another car priced the same.

Comparing it to just owning an older car or just getting a cheaper car instead is a mute arguement.

But in addition to the fortune the Tesla is saving me a month over another car of similar value, it also has more spec, it’s nicer to drive, it’s way way way faster, the tech is brilliant etc.

Comparing brand new stuff yeah I'd say Evs are the way forward currently. But you've said yourself it should have cost x amount on fuel. I keep saying until Boris hits the charging it doesn't have an accurate representation. If he hits you for even half the 640 you quoted its still cheaper yes but it starts mount up.