EV and their range...

What real-world range would make you move to EV?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
I was actually giggling coming onto the knock ring road from the Milltown Road in the Mini. Not as quick as my S3 but the torque was instant. Makes for a very different driving experience

KevM

RMS Regular
So, that's the Ionic 5 away back.

Anything the car had done to win me over to EV-life, was swiftly undone by one N-Mode rev of the i30N they came to collect it in! 🤣

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Just home from a site visit to Cork and after listening to the latest podcast on the way down and lamenting about diesel costs for the most of the journey, I found myself seriously thinking an EV might be a sensible option for the first time since they’ve come out.

I’ve done 20k miles this last year, and with diesel not getting any cheaper, switching from IC is a very attractive proposition.

I passed a Skoda Enyaq and thought it was a decent enough looking article, so had a look at it, the Q4 and the iX3 (on the back of Woodcutters thread). I was pleasantly surprised to see the range all above the 300mile mark, which would work well. But was unpleasantly surprised when I saw the 0-60 times. I perhaps naively just assumed all EV’s would share Tesla like warpspeed acceleration, but in fact they are all on a power with a 2.0TDi variant.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about the charging point situation, with that sort of range I’d say chances would be slim of getting caught out somewhere. My train of thought then progressed to solar panels at home to combat increased electric costs.

All just random thoughts at this stage, and no real point to this waffle! Just found it interesting that i could go from having no real interest in EV, to being seriously tempted in buying one in the space of a few hours!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Just home from a site visit to Cork and after listening to the latest podcast on the way down and lamenting about diesel costs for the most of the journey, I found myself seriously thinking an EV might be a sensible option for the first time since they’ve come out.

I’ve done 20k miles this last year, and with diesel not getting any cheaper, switching from IC is a very attractive proposition.

I passed a Skoda Enyaq and thought it was a decent enough looking article, so had a look at it, the Q4 and the iX3 (on the back of Woodcutters thread). I was pleasantly surprised to see the range all above the 300mile mark, which would work well. But was unpleasantly surprised when I saw the 0-60 times. I perhaps naively just assumed all EV’s would share Tesla like warpspeed acceleration, but in fact they are all on a power with a 2.0TDi variant.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about the charging point situation, with that sort of range I’d say chances would be slim of getting caught out somewhere. My train of thought then progressed to solar panels at home to combat increased electric costs.

All just random thoughts at this stage, and no real point to this waffle! Just found it interesting that i could go from having no real interest in EV, to being seriously tempted in buying one in the space of a few hours!

Still not sure they financially make sense unless you’re through a company car scheme.

Power wise, the figures don’t really reflect the reality. Etron is 60 in 6.6 whereas the Cayenne is 5 something yet the Audi feels a lot quicker in and around town especially 20-60 sort of speeds. Probably more to do with the fact it’s ready to go full throttle at at moment where the Cayenne needs a second or two to drop gear and go.

Different story on the open road though. Boot it on at 60+ and it actually feels a bit slow.

Overall though for us a great job. £6-10 a week on fuel for it when I’m throwing £80 into the Porsche doing similar distances. Though arguably that’s two extremes!

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
@Lyons tesla do a power wall that hooks up to solar and stores the energy to charge from if you so desire.

I still haven’t got my proper charger in yet! But even with that it’s no hassle at all. Every other night I would stick it on the granny charger at home and most days I just stick it on the granny charger at work all day. If needs be I’ll use the fast charger on Boucher or the A1 to top up if I’ve been doing a lot of driving in one day.

Where they make sense is if you are doing a lot of miles and plan on paying a car payment anyway.

Even with me paying a payment on a car now, which I haven’t done for years you still fairly notice not stopping to get fuel not coming out of the pocket.

I’ve done 3464 miles since getting mine and the amount of elec it uses charging at home is so minimal it feels like I haven’t spent a penny doing them lol

Helps that every time I charge it at work it’s an offset against tax 😂

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Excellent piece on Radio Ulster yesterday were a member of EVANI had gone to Cork on a trip last week without issues in his EV. As stated the 0-60 times do not tell the whole story as even the most humble EV's will be quicker away from lights, roundabouts and junctions than diesel/petrol models (and I have owned them all) and it is more relaxing and safer too. Financially you would have to crunch the numbers for your individual circumstances but I know that the money I am saving in petrol is paying for my car loan (E Golf) and I have Economy 7, solar and batteries as well so it makes sense. I drove from Dungannon to Portrush return twice over last weekend with a bit of touring about and reckon it cost about £3.00 in fuel. This would normally have cost me £45.00 + in my petrol car. We do need more working accessible rapids in NI though as I would not like to be relying on public charging.

big cyril

RMS Regular
As a very happy ev owner for almost two years now, I reckon if you’re regularly going long distances like Cork I’d still go for diesel. The range of the latest ev’s might be getting close but there’s too much uncertainty about charging availability. They’re brilliant for 99% of the average persons use but long distances are a potential faff.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
@Coog , very rough timing of the e-tron 30-70 is numerically two seconds quicker than it’s quoted 0-60.🧐, most piston cars have a pretty similar 0-60 and 30-70.

Yeah that makes sense. It’s a tad quicker than my dads M5 30 to about 60. After that the BMW was away. In the real world they have all the power you’d ever need, even the relatively slow ones like the etron.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
I still don't think it will be a smooth transition into ev. Electric will jump stupidly in price I reckon. In terms of bulk supply the UK is the dearest in Europe. Bulb is about to go under and has asked Boris for a bail out. Roughly 60 suppilers in the UK has went under effecting 10 million customers. There is no competition in the market driving the price. The price cap is being upped too so they can charge more.

Not saying it won't change but it's the same way oil was portrayed, oil will be cheap and plenty forever. Everyone changed to it and now look where we are.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I still don't think it will be a smooth transition into ev. Electric will jump stupidly in price I reckon. In terms of bulk supply the UK is the dearest in Europe. Bulb is about to go under and has asked Boris for a bail out. Roughly 60 suppilers in the UK has went under effecting 10 million customers. There is no competition in the market driving the price. The price cap is being upped too so they can charge more.

Not saying it won't change but it's the same way oil was portrayed, oil will be cheap and plenty forever. Everyone changed to it and now look where we are.

They would either need to charge specifically for EV power or no one’s going to be able to light or heat their homes if the prices rise to that extreme.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
They would either need to charge specifically for EV power or no one’s going to be able to light or heat their homes if the prices rise to that extreme.

That's the thing they haven't figured out how to charge for Evs yet. The government won't let the revenue from the loss of fuel tax not be collected in some form. I guess go now while the getting good. They'll work out how to collect it in some form then will show a truer pictures IMHO. Walk into any large car park and picture all the cars ev the demand for electricity will spike dramatically, the prices will only jump with supply/demand.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
There is no competition in the market driving the price.

Thats down to mainly LNG market price. The small players haven't long term hedged. Once the day ahead or their available futures price jumped above the allowed market cap they were liquidated.

Transition to EVs is at a time when the whole energy market is transitioning also. Its a big but solvable problem.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
When thinking about changing also get a drive in them

As others have said the overall driving experience is fantastic

Instant torque, very quiet, one pedal driving, no gears etc makes day to day driving so much better

I have a Jaguar I-Pace HSE and a Range Rover Sport Autobiography 3.0 straight six diesel. Both are less than 6 months old.

For 95% of my journeys I pick up the keys to the I-Pace including a 300 mile round trip last week where I knew I would need to charge somewhere because I love the way it drives

The RRS is an absolutely fantastic car and brilliant at what it does but the I-Pace is just better at the daily stuff

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Oil is cheap and plentiful. Taxes on it are also plentiful however. And despite claims it would run dry 50 years ago....it still isn't

If Cork was a regular trip, I'd say most EV's would struggle from here unless you lived in Newry or something. And even then you'd it'd be a long day trying to get there and back in a day ( Which I've done many times in the van...and also needed to refuel it which only takes a couple of minutes....although surprising how few 24 hour stations there are between Dublin and Cork if doing it in the early hours ).

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Oil is cheap and plentiful. Taxes on it are also plentiful however. And despite claims it would run dry 50 years ago....it still isn't

If Cork was a regular trip, I'd say most EV's would struggle from here unless you lived in Newry or something. And even then you'd it'd be a long day trying to get there and back in a day ( Which I've done many times in the van...and also needed to refuel it which only takes a couple of minutes....although surprising how few 24 hour stations there are between Dublin and Cork if doing it in the early hours ).

That's it, until the government stick there arm in evs currently are a great deal for the most part. Until they finalise the taxes the picture is being shown through rose tinted glasses.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
That's it, until the government stick there arm in evs currently are a great deal for the most part. Until they finalise the taxes the picture is being shown through rose tinted glasses.

So why you wouldn’t try to take advantage of it right now is beyond me tbh. It’s not like once you’ve bought EV you’re not allowed to go back to ICE. I plan to chop and change if necessary.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
So why you wouldn’t try to take advantage of it right now is beyond me tbh. It’s not like once you’ve bought EV you’re not allowed to go back to ICE. I plan to chop and change if necessary.

Range, simply put until the range goes to 350 plus they aren't benifical to me. Infrastructure isn't there yet for the cars and won't be when the amount of Evs eventual end up on the road.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Range, simply put until the range goes to 350 plus they aren't benifical to me. Infrastructure isn't there yet for the cars and won't be when the amount of Evs eventual end up on the road.

And what doesn’t work for you works for many others. No rose tinted glasses, no bias just standing back and thinking objectively.