F1 2014 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
Horrible accident and it shouldn't have happened, I hope they take a look at Le Mans and the slow zone they trialed this year, if marshalls/recovery vehicle are on track it's double waved yellows and for a small section all drivers put the pit limiter on until they pass the next flag after the accident.

Having just watched that slow mo frame by frame Jules' head is the first thing to hit the truck :worried: in 1 frame his head stays in the same position but the car moves, I hope he makes a full recovery but I can't see him racing again, shame as he was a great talent..

Last edited:

Shaun

RMS Regular
If you watch the guy is waving double yellows, then as the truck moves back about 2 meters on the barrier in front the green light starts to flash then the guy waves the green flag.

Serious error by the marshals/lights imo. To wave a green flag at the point where the tractor is still on track is stupidity! Tyre barriers etc are there to reduce impact. If anything else is on track at all it should be yellow until its completely gone!

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
On watching again it looks a lot more than driver error. I fear there will have been a mechanical failure. He goes in there far to fast and far too straight, it's like he didn't even attempt the corner.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
When a F1 car aquaplanes the driver becomes a passenger very quickly.

My guess is he was on used intermediate tyres & with the combination of the rain increasing & having to slow for the flags he lost the downforce & simply aquaplaned straight off.

Most drivers were trying to stretch out the life of their inters, a few pitted for full wets.

Jules has been in my thoughts ever since.

C4L

RMS Regular
FIA confirmed he is critical but stable which I suppose is the best news possible?

Bit disrespectful posting videos and surmising what has happened lads, until he's out of the clear.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Flip, serious impact. It actually lifted the loader up, and it was his head that made contact with it.

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
Drives
mediocrely
Yeah i think the mods should remove that video. F1 should look at the Nascar policy, if a car is stranded then deploy the safety car and then retrive it. That way no diggers or people on the track. Even in Singapore we had marshalls running around the track picking up bits of front wing. But get well soon Jules I was a huge fan and was looking foward to seeing you in a Ferrari soon.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I haven't watched F1 in a long long time, but I'm surprised that's not in place already. I would've thought that if anything or anyone was on the track side of the barriers, then it should be under yellow flag/safety car. It seems madness that cars can continue to race while men, a digger and other debris are on the gravel.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
I haven't watched F1 in a long long time, but I'm surprised that's not in place already. I would've thought that if anything or anyone was on the track side of the barriers, then it should be under yellow flag/safety car. It seems madness that cars can continue to race while men, a digger and other debris are on the gravel.

Double yellows were being waved. Double yellows mean there are Marshals on track, be prepared to stop

Yeah i think the mods should remove that video. F1 should look at the Nascar policy, if a car is stranded then deploy the safety car and then retrive it. That way no diggers or people on the track. Even in Singapore we had marshalls running around the track picking up bits of front wing. But get well soon Jules I was a huge fan and was looking foward to seeing you in a Ferrari soon.

NASCAR races can be 4/5 hours long, run on ovals under lights and they can be postponed to the next day if it rains. The max length of time that F1 race is allowed to last is 2 hours of racing to take place within 4 hours from the scheduled start time.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Is there a limit or restriction with them though?

No, but they get a penalty if their sector time isnt visibly reduced.

Very obvious in quali but in practice i dont think its really enforced during the race as there is so much going on, unless the sector is flagged up purple on the timing screens (A personal best).

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
I suppose this is a stronger case now if the safety car is sent out all cars are to line up on the grid until the obstruction is cleared.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I think it would be best to introduce some sort of speed limit type rule- maybe, as mentioned, use the pitlane speed limiter in the area that the flags are waved.

On another note- the kids coming almost straight from karts to F1 won't have much experience of safety cars, double waved yellows etc so maybe that could be looked at too.

Shaun

RMS Regular
Double yellows were being waved. Double yellows mean there are Marshals on track, be prepared to stop

"Were" being the main word there.
If you watch the video they waved double yellows until the truck moved back about 2 meters, still no where near leaving the gravel and marshalls all standing round it then started waving the green.(n)

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
"Were" being the main word there.
If you watch the video they waved double yellows until the truck moved back about 2 meters, still no where near leaving the gravel and marshalls all standing round it then started waving the green.(n)
That's been discussed already. The green flag is for the sector after its waved not where the accident was/is

There isn't any reason for the marshal at that point to be waving a yellow though. there is no caution forward of that marshals post. Drivers are allowed to overtake and proceed as normal from the next green flag after an incident. In this case, the yellow flags would have been on the approach to the corner, if not before.

Avant1

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
Brundle for years has been saying it's not clever having equipment like that track side while the cars are circulating .. Has had a strong case for years if your see his near miss. Always too little too late ! And action after incident is not the best policy in these circumstances

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Brundle for years has been saying it's not clever having equipment like that track side while the cars are circulating .. Has had a strong case for years if your see his near miss. Always too little too late ! And action after incident is not the best policy in these circumstances

I did read about the amount of older f1 drivers that weren't happy about cranes/diggers on the track side lifting cars under yellows and saying there not easy to be a safety car for it.

Unfortunately it's not till something like this happens that the rule comes in.

Tho from a fans point of view as well, think how often a safety car would be out slowing the race down and instructing battles, it would get annoying in some races.

As people have said a speed limit in the affected sectors would be a he best option in view.

Last edited:

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Tho from a fans point of view as well, think how often a safety car would be out slowing the race down and instructing battles, it would get annoying in some races.

In my opinion, safety cars would only improve battles in F1. There isn't usually a wild pile of racing imho, so anything that can bunch the field up, would be a plus point. I actually think that Indycar or whatever its called these days have the right idea. they would ALWAYS throw a safety car for any reason. In my opinion its much safer, plus you get the added bonus of the field being nice and tight again.

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Having just watched that slow mo frame by frame Jules' head is the first thing to hit the truck :worried: in 1 frame his head stays in the same position but the car moves.

seriously? No offence to you personally, but i actually find that pretty sick to be honest.

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
I haven't watched the video, but I'm well aware that Bianchi hit a crane at the side of the track and his life now hangs in the balance due to a massive head injury. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that his head would have hit the crane with enough force to cause those injuries. I personally don't understand how watching it frame by frame would add to that. I also personally don't understand why you would actually want to watch it in that sort of detail. But thats just me. Weirdo that I am.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.