F1 2014 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

stevyg

RMS Regular
Holy smokes! I didn't realise it was such a big impact. Those sparks :eek:

Check out 1:10 for the crash. Hope he makes a full recovery. I'm not sure what they could have done different tbh, maybe keep the cranes behind the barrier or something....its an unfortunate accident, he hit that crane pretty hard :worried:

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Holy smokes! I didn't realise it was such a big impact. Those sparks :eek:

Check out 1:10 for the crash. Hope he makes a full recovery. I'm not sure what they could have done different tbh, maybe keep the cranes behind the barrier or something....its an unfortunate accident, he hit that crane pretty hard :worried:

Green flags were being waved by the marshals far too early!

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Had just watched the video on via Twitter, shocked at the speed he was still doing - car must have accelerated when it aquaplaned.

Even if he had hit the barrier, like Sutil, it would have still been a big accident.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
what you didnt see in that video though is the same marshal waving yellow seconds before changing to green

KevM

RMS Regular
I dont know how his neck didnt break. & the idiot marshal, watched it happen and continues to wave a green flag......

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
I dont know how his neck didnt break. & the idiot marshal, watched it happen and continues to wave a green flag......

There isn't any reason for the marshal at that point to be waving a yellow though. there is no caution forward of that marshals post. Drivers are allowed to overtake and proceed as normal from the next green flag after an incident. In this case, the yellow flags would have been on the approach to the corner, if not before.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR

That marshal post is for anything after. There were still double yellows before, and then there will be green after. Yellow apply until driver pass the green flag, not when they see it. And they would have passed that one after the accident. Which is as it should be.

KevM

RMS Regular
From a driver point of view though, I'm not sure I'd be 'reading the fine print' on that one.

Green flag at the end of the straight right at the point of a major hazard is still a mixed message. I'm sure most drivers pick up the pace on sight of a green & not when past it?

Shaun

RMS Regular
Marshall shouldn't be waving green there, it is basically feet away from where sutil was being recovered from.
There could still be marshalls beside the track recovering debris after the accident happened or recovery trucks etc!!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
From a driver point of view though, I'm not sure I'd be 'reading the fine print' on that one.

Green flag at the end of the straight right at the point of a major hazard is still a mixed message. I'm sure most drivers pick up the pace on sight of a green & not when past it?

There are speed restrictions under yellow (something like a set percentage of race pace in the affected sector, as well as top speed, etc.), and they are enforced through telemetry. Pretty strictly enforced, plenty of times when drivers have been penalised for going slightly too fast under yellow.

These drivers all know and understand the rules. Nobody goes for a best sector time under yellow.

The affected sector simply happened to end just after the accident. Nothing wrong there at all.

I have no idea if Bianci was going too fast under the yellows, or just got caught out, or whatever. FIA will know exactly, but a bit of a moot point at the moment. The only thing that matters right now is that he will hopefully survive.

As others have said, in hindsight the safety car should probably have been called out when that lifter got stuck with Sutil's car. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
To be able to lift the back end of that digger/crane shows how fast and hard he hit it, that thing would weigh at least 5/6 ton

Serious crash, don't know how he will recover with an impact on the head like that :/

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Flags are immaterial from jules point of view as he followed and seen adrian go in hard. He would have known that accident would not be cleared in one lap. Imho you will find this new wonderful kers system is at fault locking the back axle and causing the accident. We will wait and see. Just hope he makes a full recovery

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
It seems he is not breathing by himself as the initial info was released! :worried:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.